Getting Local Currency at Beijing Airport

cruisingmad

I'll be sailing soon from Beijing to Hong Kong and would like to obtain some Yuan before beginning my pre-cruise stay in Beijing.

Are there convenient ATMs at the Beijing airport when I arrive (flight from London) to convert some currency?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Sergio

Just returned from a wonderful 21 day land tour of China and found that the exchange rate £ to Yuan was much better in our hotels than anywhere else. I was very surprised as I've never had that before but we got 9.4y to £1 at M&S and at least 10.2y to £1 at our hotels.

I would not use ATM machines in China. Fees and exchange rates quickly add up. I carry cash and travelers check (not a good idea but in case) in money belt. Also use credit cards in the hotel. There is money exchange service at the airport and in every hotel 3 stars and above. The rates are the same as those in the bank (differences are insignificant). The airport booth is always open at the baggage area. Taxi costs about 100 - 120 to downtown Beijing, within the second ring where most tourists go to.

Hong Kong is different. I rely on ATMs in Hong Kong, because exchange booth charges commissions (some do and some don't, so you have to check). There is a fee if you exchange money at the bank. You will find ATM machines every 100 feet or so: it is very convenient. Most machines are bi-lingual in both Chinese and English.

Just get some Yuan from your Bank at home before you leave, saves stuffing around and queuing at Money Changers at Airports .

When Cashing TC or Exchanging foreign currency in mainland China hang onto ONE Excahnge receipt as you will need it on the way out to change any remaining Yuan back into the currency of your next country at the Airport.

The best way to take Money safely O/S these days is with a Bank Debit Card where you load it up with up 5 or 6 foreign currencies . You then use it at ATM's or retailers to get local currency or make purchases . Much simpler and you lock in the currency rate when you load the card .

Archived