Southampton Hotels

Maureenxx

I would not recommend the Holiday Inn. It was horrible! The rooms were decorated in brown and orange and very poor sound proofing. The elevator was so small you could only get in with one suitcase, or two people with no suitcases. The only breakfast offered was measly buffet for about $22 US per person. The only good point was that it was close to the shopping center so we could walk over and get things that we needed.

I agree the Holiday Inn was terrible!! We checked in and realized that we had made a real mistake. We ended up walking accross the street to the De Vere. It was VERY expensive but wonderful. There was no way we were going to stay at the Holiday Inn. The De Vere gave us a discount because we were sailing out of Southampton

http://www.devereonline.co.uk/jdevere.htm?http://www.devereonline.co.uk/hotel_harbour/

Check it out.

Wow! We are at the Holiday Inn (Walker Ave. - near the Harbour - NOT the Express!)) for a free stay (using points) for 1 pre-cruise night July 30! A friend living Southampton checked out most/all the Southampton hotels for us and she said the Holiday Inn was the best in her opinion. She said the DeVere was not any better and at a much higher cost!! So, I guess each has their own opinion....

My thoughts....

I always try to use a local coffee shop for breakfast - hotels are notorious for overprice! I am not "buying" the rooms - so who cares about the colors!! - I find most English elevators and also rooms are very small - I will leave the cruise luggage w/concierge for the 1 night - no need to lug everything up to our room and down again the next morning! - just the overnight case will do!!! For just 1 night - it will certainly be fine for our needs............and our price is right! :D We wanted to be near the harbor close to where the ship is docked.

Good luck! and Happy Sailing.........What cruise are you on??

GotToCruise (aka Renee)

GottaCruise,

Yes, I was speaking of the one on Herbert Walker. Unfortunately, there wasn't any place close by for breakfast so we walked to a McDonalds or Burger King over by the mall. Nothing else was open in the area for breakfast. The Holiday Inn and the DeVere are not even close in quality. I think there must be some confusion comparing the two. I toured the DeVere and will stay there next time I sail out of Southampton. I booked the Holiday Inn hoping for a clean room and a good night's sleep only and received neither one. They may have redecorated by now but the walls must still be paper thin. The Holiday Inn did not have a concierge or bell caps! We had to lug everthing upstairs ourselves. We did ask the front desk if they could call a cab for us in the morning to get to the port and they didn't seem willing to do that. Finally another guest called for us on his cell phone.

Remember this is just my opinion but I wouldn't consider staying there again even if it was free.

We will just make the best of things--- we do have our transfer company picking us up in the AM for a courtesy transfer to the ship...... we won't have to call a taxi !! & we could just do with a cup of coffee and wait 'til we board for food! (Not as if I will miss those calories)....and the luggage will be easy enough to roll to the room, even if we do make a few trips! and then I'll take my Melatonin - (I always do to straighten out the Jet Lag anyway) - and it puts me to sleep - so I'll have all bases covered!!!..........and have $$ in our pocket as the night will be FREE!! How's that for rationalizing!!??? See, I can make lemonade from lemons anytime! LOL! ....but I do appreciate the heads up so we'll know what to expect. :D

GotToCruise (aka Renee)

so long as there are no BUGS! Thin walls.........pffffffffft. Amenities like concierge service usually makes the hotel cost xtra. We can manage, right Renee?

Happy cruising everyone. I'll be in Southampton on May 10, a 12 hour port only; on our way to Copenhagen from FLL on the Star.

Arlene

Arlene - Look into a Shorex to the Isle of Wright (from Southampton) If we get the chance we might do that??? (Another country to add to the count :D :D )

Yes - Free is best - I've already booked 3 free nights Pre cruise in Sydney (April 2006) at the Sheraton for SPG pts.!

Great minds think alike!!! :D

GotTocruise (aka Renee)

Archived