Rio to Valparaiso or Valparaiso to Rio

Talisker92

We would like to cruise the Chilean Fjords as well as go around Cape Horn. According to my TA, most people opt for the Valapraiso to Rio route. We would like to know if there is a difference. Flight times are about the same. Princess offers a number of cruises both ways. Thank you.

We would like to cruise the Chilean Fjords as well as go around Cape Horn. According to my TA, most people opt for the Valapraiso to Rio route. We would like to know if there is a difference. Flight times are about the same. Princess offers a number of cruises both ways. Thank you.

You need a Brazilian visa for this cruise. There are more cruises that travel from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso (or reverse) than there are to Rio. IF you fly into Santiago, you will also have to pay the "reciprocity fee" at the Santiago airport as well as get a Brazilian visa (which are now about $250pp if you use a visa service).

IF you want to see Iguazzu Falls pre or post cruise, it is more difficult to get there from Rio than from BA.

If you want to see Machu Pichu, either cruise will do.

The airport in Santiago is much, much better than Rio. Rio can be a very dangerous city if you do not mind your p's and q's. It is NOT a city to go wandering off the beaten path by yourself in. It is a city where you leave your jewelry in the room safe, wear a cheap Wal Mart watch and be VERY, VERY careful of your expensive camera. We used to have an annual business meeting in Rio. The city had gotten so bad that the South American members refused to go to Rio. We now have the meeting in alternating cities but NOT Rio.

I have been on 3 SA cruises-two around the Horn and one a repo from FLL to Valparaiso. All have been on X-one on the Mercury and two on the Infinity. Great trips all, but the cruise on the Mercury with my little outside cabin as far forward in the bow as you could go is still one of my favorites.

Please let me second greatam's comment re: Rio. The best that can be said about safety there is that Sao Paulo is worse. Like greatam, we gave up running meetings in Rio. I moved them to BA when I could, Punta del Este, Uruguay when I couldn't.

Also, just so you know, Valparaiso (where the ship will dock as Santiago is inland) is a good two hours from the airport.

My choice would be Valpo <-> Buenos Aires rather than Rio. I rally do not think it makes much difference which way you go. There is only a one hour time difference so it's not like you will end up with a bunch of 23 or 25 hour days.

I would do Rio > Valparaiso. A visa is needed for Brazil either way and if American, you'll pay over $100/pp to enter Chile by air, but not by ship. As greatam mentioned the Santiago airport is MUCH nicer than the one in Rio.You'll spend more time at the airport waiting to fly out than when you arrive. We didn't expect much from Rio, our only goal there was "not to get mugged". We had a great time though. We used a private guide and greatly valued her expertise as where to go and not. We didn't leave our hotel without her. About a month before we flew to Rio, DH spoke at a conference. The head had attended a conference in Rio a few months before. Of the 300 or so attendees, he knew 22 who were mugged while in Rio. There were probably some more that he didn't know.

Dear Friends,

Thank you so much for all the info. We did a land trip from Santiago to Rio, staying in both cities. You are right, the Santiago airport is nicer, and the flights leave in the evening. Plus, you save the $131 tax if you land in Chile.

If you would like to read about our trips, including the South America one, our website is:

http://www.stevekathytravels.com

Archived