Supermarket in Cozumel...

a4ofspades

Tried doing a search on the ports section but not much luck so thought I'd try here as you all always have tons of info. :)

When in Costa Rica earlier this year, our tour guide took us to a grocery store to purchase coffee. I'd like to do the same thing in Cozumel. I see from my search that El Mercada looks like a great place to shop BUT we won't be arriving till 1 and that is when is closes. I also see references to the Mega Grocery Store which I believe is about 5 blocks from the waterfront. No mention of coffee though.

I'd not only like to get the coffee but I also like to see what grocery stores etc. are like elsewhere. Yes, I am a bit odd. :) Any input is much appreciated!

Tried doing a search on the ports section but not much luck so thought I'd try here as you all always have tons of info. :)

When in Costa Rica earlier this year, our tour guide took us to a grocery store to purchase coffee. I'd like to do the same thing in Cozumel. I see from my search that El Mercada looks like a great place to shop BUT we won't be arriving till 1 and that is when is closes. I also see references to the Mega Grocery Store which I believe is about 5 blocks from the waterfront. No mention of coffee though.

I'd not only like to get the coffee but I also like to see what grocery stores etc. are like elsewhere. Yes, I am a bit odd. :) Any input is much appreciated!

I shop at Chedraui. It is kind of like being in Walmart

http://www.travelmuse.com/pois/MX/23/shopping/chedraui

It is close to the downtown area and across from Margaritaville

If you go to Cheduri, you MUST stop by the bakery and buy a fist full of the fresh made churros. They are TO DIE FOR! And, with the exchange rate the way it has been, they are a bargain price! :) Also, taking your cart UP the escalator is something everyone has to try.....just for the fun of it!

You aren't odd...I do the same thing in EVERY country that we visit. Have a great time.

Also, taking your cart UP the escalator is something everyone has to try.....just for the fun of it!

:o....this reminds me of the time, 23 years ago, when i was a brand new mother....i had my baby in a stroller, and was at Sears in our local mall....i thought it would be NO problem to take the stroller, with my daughter IN IT...up the escalator....boy was I wrong! She was practically on her HEAD by the time i realized that i had to lift up the back of the stroller so it would be level....i was SO embarrassed!!:rolleyes::D:o

Like scuba mark said it is right across from Margaritaville.....Taxis will be waiting just outside as well. If you want a good place to eat try Jeanie's right next to Margaritaville. We go there every time for breakfast of lunch. Great food and right on the water as well.

Mega Store is a bit larger than Chedraui. It is located right across from the Baracuda Hotel (bright orange one) on the south end of town. Great place for getting liquor. Chedraui is located a couple of blocks further south from it.

San Francisco is located off of 30th Avenue but is 1/3 the size of the other two.

Dave

If you go to Cheduri, you MUST stop by the bakery and buy a fist full of the fresh made churros. They are TO DIE FOR! And, with the exchange rate the way it has been, they are a bargain price! :) Also, taking your cart UP the escalator is something everyone has to try.....just for the fun of it!

I dont remember Chedraui having an escalator. Mega Store does though.

Dave

Are any of these stores within walking distance of the ship?

Something I was just wondering. My daughter wants sand toys for the beach and I would rather not pack them. I think I would rather spend a few dollars and buy them there, if it's walkable.

Something I was just wondering. My daughter wants sand toys for the beach and I would rather not pack them. I think I would rather spend a few dollars and buy them there, if it's walkable.

It would be cheaper time wise to take a taxi or split a taxi with someone. $7 one way. Unfortunetely the stores are in the opposite direction from the beaches.

Dave

When in Costa Rica earlier this year, our tour guide took us to a grocery store to purchase coffee. No mention of coffee though.

I wouldn't waste my time on the coffee as you can get better in the states. Coffee is picked green, sits in bags waiting to be roasted, once roasted, goes stale after a week or two. Virtually all packaged coffee on the shelf is stale. I have been all over the carribean and the only coffee that I found that was from a stand at Mahogany Bay where they air roasted it. even then, the roast wasn't the best. I gave up on trying to find green beans as people gave me a quizical look and would sometimes say "Do you know that you can't use green beans to make coffee? It has to be roasted!".

FWIW, I roast my own coffee beans every 5 days, drinking a double shot right now as I type!

It would be cheaper time wise to take a taxi or split a taxi with someone. $7 one way. Unfortunetely the stores are in the opposite direction from the beaches.

Dave

Thanks, I guess I'll just think about packing a shovel and a bucket, or we will improvise somehow.

I wouldn't waste my time on the coffee as you can get better in the states. Coffee is picked green, sits in bags waiting to be roasted, once roasted, goes stale after a week or two. Virtually all packaged coffee on the shelf is stale. I have been all over the carribean and the only coffee that I found that was from a stand at Mahogany Bay where they air roasted it. even then, the roast wasn't the best. I gave up on trying to find green beans as people gave me a quizical look and would sometimes say "Do you know that you can't use green beans to make coffee? It has to be roasted!".

FWIW, I roast my own coffee beans every 5 days, drinking a double shot right now as I type!

Thanks again to everyone for all the great info.

Well, I don't drink coffee at all...love the smell but not the taste...BUT I have noticed that while some people really can differentiate between good/bad, cheap/pricey, fresh/old coffee...lots of people cannot but think they can..hubby would be one of the later. :) I tease him all the time saying I've given him decaf or something else and he'll say I knew it tasted different! and of course, it's the same thing he's been drinking for the past few days, lol! Yeah, I'm an evil wife. :p This coffee is mostly for my sis-in-law who swears it's the best coffee in the world. I've noticed she's alot like her brother. So, it's off to the grocery store we go for the coffee "snobs" :D

Mega is about a 30 min walk from the pier.

It's towards downtown on the main road.

Depends on the pier. Punta Langosta is maybe ten minutes south (away from town.) The other two, Puerta Maya and the International pier are about 2 to 2 1/2 miles south of town. In the heat, a cab ride would be best for many.

Depends on the pier. Punta Langosta is maybe ten minutes south (away from town.) The other two, Puerta Maya and the International pier are about 2 to 2 1/2 miles south of town. In the heat, a cab ride would be best for many.

?? Punta Langosta pier is located in the downtown area. Not 10 minutes south. Mega Store is about a 5 minute walk from this pier as you head south.

Dave

Archived