Vietnam - Hydrofoil from Vung Tao to HCM City

Joshua's gramps

Will be arriving at Phu My with Oriana in November for one day trip to HCM. Does anybody have experience of taking taxi to Vung Tao and catching hydrofoil to HCM. On paper seems a quicker and more interesting trip than the ship's transport. is it worth doing or just hassle?

Best,

Joshua's gramps.

• 6 months later...
Will be arriving at Phu My with Oriana in November for one day trip to HCM. Does anybody have experience of taking taxi to Vung Tao and catching hydrofoil to HCM. On paper seems a quicker and more interesting trip than the ship's transport. is it worth doing or just hassle?

Best' date='

Joshua's gramps.[/quote']

Just an FYI

The hydrofoils are mostly old. They break down or get caught in fishing nets frequently. Some cruise lines BAN passengers from taking the hydrofoils.

Going TO Saigon, I might take the chance. Going back to the ship-NEVER. Just too much chance of being delayed and possibly missing the ship.

we were originally to dock in Vung Tau and so were planning the hydrofoil trip. instead we docked at Phu My and did our dosh as there wasn't the time to go back down river to go to Vung Tau to then travel up river to Saigon

just took a ship's tour into Saigon (booked on the day) and actually had a pretty good day

as Greatam has said about their reliability (due to their age), the times are very difficult to co-ordinate plus you have to take into account the roads to and from Vung Tau as the traffic is attrocious

re the hydrofoils being old. yes, they are, all old soviet hydrofoils. I was very sad we missed out but we made up for it last year when we got our hydrofoil ride. It was in Russia tho - from St Petersburg out to Peterhof.

old, smelly and fabulous!!!

We have docked at Phu My on 3 cruises.

Stick with the ships tours, or arrange a private tour to pick you up at the dock ,

and a guarantee to get you back on time.

Once you have been there ...

you will see the reason why.

Archived