Belize Walking Tour

MrsElizabeth

It is highly unlikely that you would get into a neighborhood that you shouldn't be in, so do not let that be a major factor. I think that most cruisers are scared by the poverty and skin color more than real threat. The weather conditions are very harsh on houses and so many just quit painting their houses. There is considerable poverty, but Belizeans are very happy with their lives and know no difference. Enjoy your time here and get some good Belizean food.

I plan on enjoying the culture, I have been here once before about 7 years ago but took a taxi at that time, God I hope that isn't the case that people fear others because of their color, but I think more so because of the poverty and need, so do not show your bling, keep it ion your room or ship- go out and enjoy the culture this country has to offer,

MrsFuzzmo be looking forward to hearing your report. Where else are you going, Share all please.

Do you mean in Belize, or our entire cruise?

Our last trip to Belize (April 2016) we did Caye Caulker and we really thought we would do that again, but we've booked some expensive excursions on some of the other stops this time around, so will just lay low in Belize. Our current plan (weather pending) is to not rush off the ship, get a cocktail or two at the port area, then grab a taxi to Bird Isle for lunch. Depending on weather and such, we will probably walk back to the cruise center from there, exploring as we go. We like local places and have no qualms about stopping in a small local watering hole or a street vendor for a cold beer.

We are much more into visiting with locals and enjoying their foods/beverages than doing any kind of cultural tours (churches, museums, etc.) so we will just play the walk back by ear and see where it leads us!

Now thats a place I have no clue about BIRD ISLAND would like some information about it. If you do eat with the locals tell us how that went.

It's Bird's Isle and you can look it up on Trip Advisor or google it. It's just across the river mouth from the cruise port. Nice patio and views of the local boats, but frequented by tourists and cruisers more than othe local places. IMO local food is similar to what you'll find at Wet Lizard, but not local, local like Nerries or Annies. Nevertheless, a good bar patio for schmoozing with other. I'm sure the Fuzzmos will enjoy it.:D

It's Bird's Isle and you can look it up on Trip Advisor or google it. It's just across the river mouth from the cruise port. Nice patio and views of the local boats, but frequented by tourists and cruisers more than othe local places. IMO local food is similar to what you'll find at Wet Lizard, but not local, local like Nerries or Annies. Nevertheless, a good bar patio for schmoozing with other. I'm sure the Fuzzmos will enjoy it.:D

We will let you know!! Will be there three weeks from today!

Keep this thread alive, its a good one, needs more visitors though, How do you get to Bird's Isle is it walking distance or is it on the walking trail

It is within walking distance for a normal person, it looks like. My husband, though, is not a fan of walking long distances....especially in the heat, so we will take a cab and then see what the ride is like heading over there. If it's close enough, we will probably walk back, stopping at a few local places along the way.

Keep this thread alive, its a good one, needs more visitors though, How do you get to Bird's Isle is it walking distance or is it on the walking trail

As MrsF says, it's within walking distance for normal people (or abnormal perambulators). It's just under 2 kilometers (a little over 1 mile) from the Tender Pier. 20 minutes at a reasonable pace But a taxi will get you there in about 5. All city streets to past the Church along Albert Street, which is the street off the swing bridge, then I think it's still a dirt road/drive to the place, very short though. On the walk back, or too, stop at the Cultural Museum across from the Church.

When is everyone going or have you already gone- what ship are you using, what are your other ports of call.. I found one of my top 5 stops was Grand Turk, is anyone going there, its so much fun there isn't it? Tell me about your cruise about the ship your pros, cons and mediums...especially Glory

When is everyone going or have you already gone- what ship are you using, what are your other ports of call.. I found one of my top 5 stops was Grand Turk, is anyone going there, its so much fun there isn't it? Tell me about your cruise about the ship your pros, cons and mediums...especially Glory

Happy, we sail on the Glory on June 17th (in two weeks!! Woohoo!). Our ports are Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. We did this exact itinerary last year aboard an NCL ship (Star) and loved it. That cruise was with another couple, and this cruise is with 15 of us (all family members, Grands, 4 daughters (me) and spouses and 6 kids).

I just sailed the Carnival Vista in Jan. and while the itinerary and co-travelers were amazing, the ship itself was not my favorite, so I'm looking forward to the Glory. I've done the Liberty which is a sister ship to the Glory and loved it.

Here are our other excursions:

CAYMAN: All 15 of us are doing the Stingraysailing catamran Far Toruga to Stingray Sandbar. 1/2 day tour, then just playing around town until we head back to the ship.

ROATAN: 4 of us (Grands & hub and I) have a 'freestyle' tour with Rony's tours booked for the day. Just going to tour the island and see where it takes us. Looking for good local food! 11 are going to Sloth sanctuary for an hour or two, then will spend the day at Mahogany Beach zip-lining and snorkeling.

BELIZE:13 are going Cave Tubing on a private tour (including Grands who are 77 & 78!). Hub and I are doing the walk/eat/drink around town on our own.

COZUMEL: 5 (hub & I, sister & hub and 1 kid) are doing the Trikes tour - 1/2 day, then meeting the rest of the family in town to shop, eat, drink our way around on our last port day.

That's the plan!

Mrs F:

Would love to hear about Trikes. We're looking at this for Aruba in 2019, But will be in Coz (again) in 2018. While I'm just for cabbing it down to Playa Palancar, DW thinks beaches are "too cold" in Jan. (no, but that's her mind set). And since we've been all over the island time and again, Trikes might be an interesting way to go.

In Roatan, I'm sure Rony will take you to a good local place, but if he's open, ask about Temporary Cal's up in First Bight. Or Celeste's for beleadas in West Bay across from Bananarama. Also Bite on the Beach. Tita's in West End has great drinks. And there's a dive/hole in the wall place up around Sandy Bay near the firestation (forget the name) I think that's close to the orphanage/school he takes people to so he might know. it's not Blue Bahia but that's a good stop in that area too.