Beach Report: Acapulco, Ziha Cabo

JFontaine

Just returned from the Crystal Harmony. Hope the following is useful.

Acapulco. Took a licensed cab from the pier ($15) to the Hyatt. At the Hyatt, just walked around and then went down to the beach. At the beach I "rented" a chair and a palapa for $6.00 (one person) for the day from the beach attendant - who could not have been nicer, and bought drinks from the beach waiter - who also could not have been nicer. The beach was a fairly crowded public beach, and 100 vendors must have approached me during the day. Most accepted a "no thanks" and moved on. One guy - selling beach massages - grabbed my leg. I'm sure he meant no harm but it was weird. Crossed the street (an adventure) to visit Wal-Mart to see what it was like, and then took a regular cab back to the port ($10.00). Traffic was heavy so don't cut this close.

Ziha - at the tender pier I purchased a round trip ticket to Los Gatos ($3 round trip I think)- a beach about fifteen minutes from the pier by water taxi. I am not the most athletic but was able to get in and out of the water taxis without much trouble. The beach is lined with bars that also sold food - they had lounge chairs out front, including chairs that are put in the water - what fun to sit in the water! Although I paid five dollars for my chair and umbrella - it seems that they were free if you bought food or drink. The beach and the water were lovely - the water was warm and clear. There were some vendors, but significantly less than Acapulco. The bars close at 4:30 - so around 4 the place starts to clear out. No reservations necessary for the return water taxi - they are lined up in the water. When the bill came (3 non-alcoholic drinks that I purchased for my cabin attendant and her friends, one Mexican beer and an order of French Fries) - $40.00 - I did feel ripped off, especially since I had paid for the chair, and also tipped the guy another five dollars on top of the chair rental - but I was not in a position to argue. All in all, it was a great day.

Cabo - lots of independent water taxis at the tender pier. One guy wanted $20 for a water taxi (for one) to Lover's Beach, but most guys asked for $10 (plus $1.00 port fee). I looked for a regular taxi to take me to a resort, but finding none at all, went back and took a water taxi to Lover's Beach. Getting in the water taxi was not that bad - you are at the dock. Getting out was another story - the boat pulls up on the beach, some guy grabs your stuff so it doesn't get wet, and you jump out as the boat bobs in about a foot or two of water. I was told swimming only at the Sea of Cortez side where the boat drops you off, that the current was too strong on the Pacific side. I walked across the beach (not far - couple of minutes) to the Pacific side. I kid you not - my eyes filled up with tears. I've seen many beaches in my life (25 cruises, plenty of beach vacations) but this beach might have been the most beautiful that I have ever seen. There were very few people when I got there at 10 - it filled up as the morning went on. There are no facilities here: no chairs, no bathroom, and one guy sold drinks out of a cooler (but there were vendors!). To leave (you need to make a reservation to come back at the time you purchase your ticket) - jump into a boat bobbing in the water. I watched a woman try this on her own and fall into the water, so I signaled one of the guys working there, and he was a pro - he made a step with his bent knee, told me to step on it which is just what I needed to climb on board (he grabbed my stuff and my hand too). I was so happy for his help and tipped him accordingly. This beach was beautiful beyond words - if you can get there - go.

MLevine:

Thank you for a most informative post. You've answered a lot of questions I had and have given me some ideas. Could you also tell me if it is possible to use the pool at the Hyatt?:D

On the Hyatt - the place was so big I think it would be very easy to blend into the crowd - so I don't think using the pool would be a problem. It did seem like the guests wore arm bands - I could be wrong. There was security between the beach and the pool area, possibly to keep vendors and others out of the pool area. Once I established myself at the beach, I had no problem going back and forth between the two areas. There was also security at the front door - but they took one look at me (and my beach bag) getting out of the cab and let me right in. I am always unsure whether to take towels or not from the ship - as they are a sign that you don't belong. I took my towel (striped - theirs was blue). Once I paid for the use of the chair I was fine.

Archived