Questions about excursions for Progresso

cantwait4cruise

I didn't know where to ask these questions so I hope posting here is alright. But anyway I am thinking about doing a carnival excursion that is meridia shopping, horse show and buffet, has anyone did this excursion and do you think that there are accomodations for people that use fold up wheelchairs. I know any tour with ruins would be difficult but since I can walk some and my chair folds up thought maybe I could do this one. SO PLEASE if anyone has any info please reply

Wish I could answer specific to your question. I can speak for Merida. You could take a cab ($25) to the central plaza in the historic center of the city. There, sidewalks are wide enough to accomodate chairs and strollers. Intersections are ramped. There is lots to see and do. Also you could take the carriage ride ($20/50 minute) out onto the upscale Paseo Montejo a wide blvd with many old mansions. Merida is a large city of almost one million, the state capitol, home to four universitys and warm and friendly people.

Don't forget to checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com

Here is my two cents:

We just got back from Carnival Elation 9/11 cruise, and we stopped for a day in Progresso. After reading suggestions, our group of 10 hired a small bus to take us into Merida. The round trip was only $100 for all of us in an air conditioned bus, so that wasn't bad. The drive took about 45 minutes and we saw a McDonalds, a Sam's Club, and a car dealership - felt like we were still in America.

When we arrived in Merida our driver (who spoke very little English and offered no information on the area) dropped us off in what he called "Central Park." It was a town square with a landscaped area surrounded by city streets. We walked along the streets in the attempt to shop, but found that the prices were much higher than in the shops just off the ship port. We were constantly hounded by child street vendors to buy bracelets and blankets - and they didn't take no for an answer!

There were very few shops to choose from and very little architecture or culture to see. We spend a dollar to use a bathroom and after an hour we just sat on a park bench (next to an AIDS testing station) and waited in the heat for our bus driver to come back for us.

Please note, that we did not actually take an excursion, so I guess we got what we paid for with our driver. However, we also ran into a couple of older ladies who had taken the Carnival shopping excursion into Merida and they were more than ready to go back to the ship, too! I felt very sorry for them sitting out in the heat just waiting on their bus.

We all felt that it was a massive waste of money and 3.5 hours!

RNmom. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your visit to Merida like I have on many trips that I've made in the past. Merida doesn't depend on tourist dollars for it's existance.

The child street vendors break my heart selling those braided wrist bands. They really do need to be in school or other childhood activities. I guess it's just a sign of the distressed economy for many families.

As for culture and archetecture, did you visit Case de Montejo, 1549, the home of the founder of modern day Merida? The oldest cathedral of the Americas, circa 1561? The five balconied opera/concert hall? The art gallery on the second floor of the governor's bldg? For shopping did you visit the mercado, the very large central market where the local residents do their daily shopping? Did you have lunch or visit the sidewalk ice cream parlor with great tropical flavors?

I agree that cheap tourist trinkets are cheapest at cruise ports.

I do hope you stocked up on Mexican vanilla.

Can'tWait. You posted in the exact right place to get the experiences of others porting in Progreso.

RNmom. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your visit to Merida like I have on many trips that I've made in the past. Merida doesn't depend on tourist dollars for it's existance.

The child street vendors break my heart selling those braided wrist bands. They really do need to be in school or other childhood activities. I guess it's just a sign of the distressed economy for many families.

As for culture and archetecture, did you visit Case de Montejo, 1549, the home of the founder of modern day Merida? The oldest cathedral of the Americas, circa 1561? The five balconied opera/concert hall? The art gallery on the second floor of the governor's bldg? For shopping did you visit the mercado, the very large central market where the local residents do their daily shopping? Did you have lunch or visit the sidewalk ice cream parlor with great tropical flavors?

I agree that cheap tourist trinkets are cheapest at cruise ports.

I do hope you stocked up on Mexican vanilla.

Can'tWait. You posted in the exact right place to get the experiences of others porting in Progreso.

where is the sidewalk ice cream parlor so I can make sure that is on my list of places to visit LOL :)

Archived