If I love the triplets will I like the Soujourn?

Susan07470

Yes, it is a realistic expectation. The ship has more crew and more people so you can't know them all nor can they know everyone. However, we found that you sort of find the areas you love the best and use the most on ship. The crew members we came in constant contact with did know us and I referred to them by name. Guests were the same way. I got to know the ones I saw over and over. Still on the last day at breakfast after 14 days we had breakfast before disembarking and both of us looked around and noticed there were a lot we had never seen on the ship! I will be interested in your Quest opinions since we board as you leave! (Darn!)

Redheadednancy,

Thank you for your post. Yes, as we have noted before we do seem to have a similar perspective.We will decide in the next month whether or not to book this December's Christmas/ New Years cruise. So you are booked for January?

I did find it interesting on our recent cruise when we were discussing the big ships with the maitre'd Andre, who has worked on the one of the big ships, he said, " I suspect that one of the things that is holding you back from going on the big ships is that you know the little ships so well down to what drawer your husbands socks go in. So nauturally on the new ships you will be starting fresh." How true!!!So maybe it is time to break out of our comfort zone.

I was on the Sojourn in June '11 for 7N to the Baltics, and I was surprised that no one ever greeted us by name except our waiters in the MDR and on the last day (not sure how they knew as we never gave them our suite number). It was so odd because the people whom we had regular contact with, like our room stewardess and the ladies in the Seabourn Square who had our suite number and details on their computers when we spoke to them never did.

Is this Seabourn policy or is this the case only on the larger ships? I've read glowing reviews from a few years back where staff know your names after the 2nd day.

Logistically it's nearly impossible on the production line 7 day cruises. If by name recognition is of key importance to a passenger, my advice is, tip early, tip often.

Oh I agree -- that might put the crew on the path to obsequious behavior.I would instead suggest the approach of being pleasant to all crew members, introducing yourself when you first meet someoneo who is waiting on you and calling each of them by their names. You will be surprised at how quickly they will remember your name -- even on a 7 day cruise.

I am with you on the way one interacts with the crew, so many people treat "staff" differently from non staff, especially on cruises! Some people are so rude it is almost like they leave their manners at the gangway.

Just got back from a cruise, not Seabourn, and we found the staff great.

Regarding crew members knowing you by name, I would say there was a bigger chance of that on the smaller ships, for obvious reasons... fewer people. On top of that we have sailed quite a few times and on a lot of crossings. Then you are around all the time and the crew would get your name earlier. I believe they still have to study names and photos of the passengers as they have access to your ships ID's. I really feel for them....:eek:!

Some call me by my maiden surname as this is on my passport, others by my "real" surname, sometimes they use both surnames, which is hilarious. That's why I suggested to just call me by my first name. Many of the crew nowadays do so and I like that best! :)

Marja

As other people have said, if you treat the cruise staff with respect they will remember you. I always make a point of addressing them by their name.

We have just sailed on Quest and they did address us by name, most of the staff, the only one that did not was our stewardess.

Perhaps they remember the awkward passengers, LOL!!!!

Neophytus,

Sounds like you're unhappy with Seabourn. Perhaps it's time to find another cruise line which you think is better and where everyone will know your name. Cheers Cruise Line perhaps?

Name i.d., totally meaningless, is not even on my list of cruise line expectations...service, accommodations, itinerary, proper attire and a civil low-key environment are the drivers. Food, beverages, entertainment, coffee bars, hosted tables, etc. are tertiary and mostly overrated.

For now Seabourn and Silversea, though vitiated, are the only options but hopefully within this decade some cruise operator will emerge to fill a missing niche.

Vitiated.

Now, there is a word one doesn't see every day!

Latin

[edit] Etymology

From vitium (“fault, vice”).

[edit] Verb

present active vitiō, present infinitive vitiāre, perfect active vitiāvī, supine vitiātum.

1. I make faulty, spoil, damage.
  2. I violate sexually.

I would go for option 1 in this case... though I don't agree much!:confused:

Have a nice weekend all!

Marja

• 1 month later...

Well, we had a marvelous cruise on the Sojourn. A couple of minor issues, but quite rare. It is "truly Seabourn". Yes, we still prefer the "little ships" (they are more "intimate") but would not hesitate booking another cruise on one of the bigger ships. So I would attribute most of our original problems to new launch/too many new hires.

We had a great time. Please enjoy!

Archived