Help needed to choose a Los Angeles Hotel.

fayfam

Hi Everyone

My husband and I (along with 2 friends) are staying in LA for 4 nights before our cruise in May 2011 and need help choosing a good quality but reasonably priced hotel. We are flying in from Australia.There are so many choices we are very confused and would love some advice from anyone that knows the best hotels in the area that won't cost a fortune.

We are planning to visit Universal studios and look at the local sites around Hollywood. We are then going to Las Vegas for 3 nights and San Fransisco for 1 night. Are we better off catching flights or trains? We then have to make our way to Seattle for the start of our cruise. I hope someone can help us.

Thanks

Kerry :)

Search for comments by BruinSteve. I believe he recommends the Radisson in Culver City as not too far from LAX and easy to get to Santa Monica and Venice. If you don't have a rental car, you might want to check out Starline tours. http://www.starlinetours.com/?gclid=CNG_tIig86MCFR0BiQodIAek2g

The train is slow and not that much of a bargain. If you can book early, check out Southwest Airlines, www.southwest.com Virgin America also offers some competitive rates too, but not sure if they fly every place you want to go.

Offer very competitive rates if you book early and fly into Vegas, San Francisco, and Seattle. Also, consider Oakland as an alternative to San Francisco Airport. It has a shuttle bus to the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) that makes it easy to get into San Franciso.

Hi Everyone

My husband and I (along with 2 friends) are staying in LA for 4 nights before our cruise in May 2011 and need help choosing a good quality but reasonably priced hotel. We are flying in from Australia.There are so many choices we are very confused and would love some advice from anyone that knows the best hotels in the area that won't cost a fortune.

We are planning to visit Universal studios and look at the local sites around Hollywood. We are then going to Las Vegas for 3 nights and San Fransisco for 1 night. Are we better off catching flights or trains? We then have to make our way to Seattle for the start of our cruise. I hope someone can help us.

Thanks

If you are concentrating on Universal/Hollywood, you may want to check out the Sportsmen's Lodge:

http://www.slhotel.com/

This hotel is in Studio City, not far from Universal Studios and just over the hill from Hollywood...

Another good value in the Universal City area is the Beverly Garland:

http://www.beverlygarland.com/

Of course, among the big questions are:

How do you plan on getting around LA?

Will you have a rental car?

Is convenience worth paying a bit more for?

There are two hotels right "on the property" at Universal:

http://www.sheratonuniversal.com/

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/BURUCHF-Hilton-Los-Angeles-Universal-City-California/index.do

...but they can be more expensive...

Normally, I recommend staying in Santa Monica...the best weather, lots to see and do right in the immediate area...lots of shops and restaurants...But, the better hotels in Santa Monica fetch a high price...and you'd be traveling cross town to get to Universal...

The Radisson Patricia mentioned is my choice for LAX area hotels:

ttp://www.radisson.com/culvercityca

But that's really if someone needs to be or wants to be near LAX...For a four night stay, I'd say you probably would be better served in either Santa Monica or Universal...

The choices Steve suggested near Universal are all good ones and probaly most convenient considering your itinerary and you may wat to nap during the day.

I would suggest fly to Las Vegas. Its about an hour. Check flights from Burbank not just LAX as it is closer to the Universal area. From LV fly to SF or Oakland and then fly to Seattle. There are many airlines with Southwest sometimes being the cheapest and they allow two free checked bags.

Also consider doing two days SF and two days LV. There is a lot to do in SF and really LV can be done in 2 nights. In LV pick a hotel on the strip for the best location.

Also arrrive in Seattle at least 1 day before your cruise leaves just in case there are any delays. SF airport is infamous for weather delays.

Jen in SoCal

Hi Everyone

Thanks

Everyone is giving you excellent recommendations. However, we live close to the Burbank airport, which would be convenient to you if you choose to stay at a location such as Sportsman's Lodge or the Beverly Garland Hotel. The airport is just a few miles away.

Here you could take a short 55 minute flight to Las Vegas on Southwest Airlines - an excellent airline, yet few frills. But fares are very economical!

Look at: http://www.southwest.com/

From Las Vegas, Southwest also has several non-stop flights a day to San Francisco. However, their connections to Seattle are not at all convenient so I would suggest you check with United Airlines. They have a number each day - and please consider going a day early as Jen has suggested.

Just a note about the train between Los Angeles and Seattle. The reasons for taking it are about scenery and relaxation, not speed or price. The coast run between approximately Ventura and Guadalupe (not stops) in the early afternoon of the first day northbound and the run through the Oregon Cascades the morning of the second day northbound are some of the most scenic rail journeys to be had anywhere. If you go, you should probably get a sleeper, which does make it pricey. But I would not recommend spending 36 hours in coach.

And while 3 years ago the timekeeping was horrendous (routinely 6-12 hours late almost every day), it has vastly improved and barring special problems it is on time or very close to it over the last 2 years. Its on time performance in the last year is around 90%.

If you do chose to fly, another airline with frequent (almost hourly) service between LA and Seattle is Alaska. They also serve Burbank and Ontario airports with frequent service to Seattle

I would definitely agree with the suggestions. Since you seem to be leaning to the Universal City/Hollywood experience, you should consider the Sportsman Lodge (have never stay there, of course, as I live in the Valley, but when I was growing up, my family would have many special occasion dinners at their restaurant) or the other hotels listed by Steve.

Since you have limited time, consider flying to Vegas (Burbank airport would be good and there is nothing to see on the road or by train between the LA area and LV) and then to SF (I would also agree on the suggestion to cut down on your Vegas stay and strongly recommend flying to Seattle, after SF, at least a day early). Seattle is a great city to visit, and you'll be well-rested before your cruise (and not be worrying about getting there from SF).

Thank you all so much for all of your information. I am so excited now with this new information. I think I will print off all of your replies and spend the day googling everything. I knew it was best to ask people in the know.

Archived