White Bay JVD - Should we bring our snorkel gear???

rikatine

I am planning on taking Tortola Charters to JVD to go to White Bay in January. I have never been there but have researched it pretty well. Here is part of the email that the owner of the company wrote to me:

FYI - the reef at White Bay is fairly good for a beach reef -I was snorkeling at the reef last Sunday and encountered a large pod of dolphins on the reef - it is one of the few places in the BVI that you can actually see them in the wild while in the water - I should be onboard your particular trip to take you snorkeling - look>> forward to seeing you in January –

Hope this helps. As I understend it, there is also a reef a little ways off shore. I read about it somewhere....can't remember where. Good Luck!

I am planning on taking Tortola Charters to JVD to go to White Bay in January. I have never been there but have researched it pretty well. Here is part of the email that the owner of the company wrote to me:

FYI - the reef at White Bay is fairly good for a beach reef -I was snorkeling at the reef last Sunday and encountered a large pod of dolphins on the reef - it is one of the few places in the BVI that you can actually see them in the wild while in the water - I should be onboard your particular trip to take you snorkeling - look>> forward to seeing you in January –

Hope this helps. As I understend it, there is also a reef a little ways off shore. I read about it somewhere....can't remember where. Good Luck!

Thanks for the info. Real love to snorkel and don't want to miss an opportunity.

Taking an excursion to White Bay on Jost Van Dyke, besides all the great beach bars, are there any decent snorkeling spots? Debating on wether it is worth it to carry our gear with us. Any input would be appreciated.

I always bring my snorkel gear no matter how good or bad it may be. Some places may be good one day & not so good the next. The only problem with White Bay is that there may be alot of boat traffic going to & from the beach bar area. Just don't go out too far or bring a float with a flag so the boats will be able to see you in the water.

• 1 month later...

Hi Kristine--it looks like we'll miss each other on this excursion on Tortola by 5 days (we're on the 1/9 sailing of the CB)--I was so excited when I saw this post--I thought maybe we would be on the same excursion the same day, but no, you had to pick a different cruiseline:(

I was at White Bay on Jost yesterday and I swam with dozens of Tarpons and millions of neon minnows; the experience was like something you see on Nat Geo; the bait ball was massive and probably 100 feet long and 50 feet wide with huge 5' Tarpon cutting through the mass of shiny minnows and right below the action numerous Stingrays swooped in and picked up the scraps on the sandy bottom. I snorkeled within 2' of the giant Tarpons and was constantly shadowed and blinded by the bait ball; it was unbelievable.

Sounds awesome! Hope it's like that when we're there!

Hi Kristine--it looks like we'll miss each other on this excursion on Tortola by 5 days (we're on the 1/9 sailing of the CB)--I was so excited when I saw this post--I thought maybe we would be on the same excursion the same day, but no, you had to pick a different cruiseline:(

Hey there! We are destined to be "two ships passing in the night"- pun intended! Have a great time!

I was at White Bay on Jost yesterday and I swam with dozens of Tarpons and millions of neon minnows; the experience was like something you see on Nat Geo; the bait ball was massive and probably 100 feet long and 50 feet wide with huge 5' Tarpon cutting through the mass of shiny minnows and right below the action numerous Stingrays swooped in and picked up the scraps on the sandy bottom. I snorkeled within 2' of the giant Tarpons and was constantly shadowed and blinded by the bait ball; it was unbelievable.

Wow! I have to admit I didn't know what a bait ball was so I googled... that must have been awesome to see. I also googled Tarpon as I was thinking of a different fish and thought I wasn't sure if I would have liked seeing that in the water!:eek: I think seeing the Stingrays would be cool but not sure I would want to be too close.

As you can probably tell I am a total rookie as I have only been snorkeling once in Belize on Bannister island. There wasn't too much to see but since I was new it was still fun... once I got used to it. I will say at first was a bit intimidated but then I relaxed and relized I really could breathe...lol. I did see an awesome Starfish! I have never seen one so big.:D

I look forward to going here and would be happy if I could experience something like you did.

Archived