Carnival Dress Code

buster parry

Yes and the Beavs mom did housework in heels and pearls:rolleyes: Let's not go there:D

WHAT! :eek::eek:Surely you dress to mop the floor? I have special high heels for that- I change of course when it is the oven I am tackling. :D

As I pointed out earlier- these really make me begin to wonder if I should take up nudism as a hobby. :eek:

WHAT! :eek::eek:Surely you dress to mop the floor? I have special high heels for that- I change of course when it is the oven I am tackling. :D

As I pointed out earlier- these really make me begin to wonder if I should take up nudism as a hobby. :eek:

That would be a different thread!

Just got off the Pride less then 30 hours ago. First cruise.

I wore slacks, dress shirt and a tie on elegant night.

Other nights nice cargo-hemmed-kackie shorts (whatever they are called) or kackie pants and a short sleeved button up shirt.

I do not recall seeing anyone of "lesser wear" on elegant night. However other nights people were in tshirts, flops, bathing suits etc.

What I do recall is my food tasted the same no matter what other people around me wore, my experience was no different no matter what people around me wore, and if anyone had issue with what I wore my food and experience were fine also...

I probably got more "looks" when I took out my DSLR and took pictures of my food... :D

The new airline luggage restrictions are the reason Carnival changed??????????????

Funny that no other Carnival owned cruiseline, Costa, Cunard, Princess, HAL, picked up on that. And neither did RCL and X, and Azamara, and MSC,,,,,,

Carnival probably didn't change their policy because of the airline restrictions, however, those restrictions do cause people to rethink what they're going to pack. I was stressing out about how I was going to bring my formal dress without it getting crushed and then found one in my closet that travels much better and didn't show any wrinkles after I took it out. It also was a much lighter material so it didn't take up hardly any space.

Yes and the Beavs mom did housework in heels and pearls:rolleyes: Let's not go there:D

I hosted a 'Julia Child' cooking party at my house recently. Everyone had to wear a dress/skirt, heels and pearls and had to talk in their best Julia voice all night. We made a four course meal from her cookbook while drinking martini's and wine so the shoes came off before the first course was even served. LOL

Other nights nice cargo-hemmed-kackie shorts (whatever they are called) or kackie pants and a short sleeved button up shirt.

I do not recall seeing anyone of "lesser wear" on elegant night. However other nights people were in tshirts, flops, bathing suits etc.

What I do recall is my food tasted the same no matter what other people around me wore, my experience was no different no matter what people around me wore, and if anyone had issue with what I wore my food and experience were fine also...

I probably got more "looks" when I took out my DSLR and took pictures of my food... :D

If you were a Platinum guest you could get those kackie shorts cleaned for free!!:rolleyes::eek::D:D

I hosted a 'Julia Child' cooking party at my house recently. Everyone had to wear a dress/skirt, heels and pearls and had to talk in their best Julia voice all night. We made a four course meal from her cookbook while drinking martini's and wine so the shoes came off before the first course was even served. LOL

Thank god for alcohol:D

Funny!

By the way dan40 how much is a tux rental on Carnival?

I believe it is a little over $100. with the whole regalia. Don't know for sure since I bring my own.

I do know that my BIL rents on board and is incredibly hard to fit. I think his neck size is larger than his inseam!!:eek: But both RCL and Carnival have always fitted him perfectly.

You need to be measured in advance. Somewhere on Carnival's website are the instructions for doing the measurements at a local tux rental place.

time for the newbie to the forum to start a flame war, i guess...

but i really do not understand those upset over CCL becoming more and more casual. there are so many cruise lines out there. the more luxury-oriented ones, by self-selection, are usually populated by a median age far older than Carnival (seabourn, silversea, and crystal, for example, are described in reviews as having a floor around later 30s, with crystal being described as a mid-40s couple being the youngest on the ship.) carnival, partially due to price and partially due to cultivating a reputation as the "party cruise ship", markets itself to younger people. say what you will about the cruise ship of younger people looking like slobs at dinner being a microcosm of society's downfall as a whole, but that's not what i'm getting at here. if some jeans truly bother you that much, and if the lack of a tie bothers you that much, why cruise on CCL? either accept that the lower price you pay compared to other cruise lines invites a younger demographic and more casual demographic overall and build that into the cost of the cruise, or cruise with a cruise line that enforces "elegantly casual" all the time.

time for the newbie to the forum to start a flame war, i guess...

but i really do not understand those upset over CCL becoming more and more casual. there are so many cruise lines out there. the more luxury-oriented ones, by self-selection, are usually populated by a median age far older than Carnival (seabourn, silversea, and crystal, for example, are described in reviews as having a floor around later 30s, with crystal being described as a mid-40s couple being the youngest on the ship.) carnival, partially due to price and partially due to cultivating a reputation as the "party cruise ship", markets itself to younger people. say what you will about the cruise ship of younger people looking like slobs at dinner being a microcosm of society's downfall as a whole, but that's not what i'm getting at here. if some jeans truly bother you that much, and if the lack of a tie bothers you that much, why cruise on CCL? either accept that the lower price you pay compared to other cruise lines invites a younger demographic and more casual demographic overall and build that into the cost of the cruise, or cruise with a cruise line that enforces "elegantly casual" all the time.

7 day Caribbean cruise on Seabourn in January. Lowest price, on SALE, $2199.00 per person, plus taxes and Govt fees. Low price on a Carnival cruise in Jan could be $400.pp

Plus had you been around a little while you would know that FORMAL NIGHTS are normal on cruises of all the other mainstream lines. AND were also normal on Carnival as well until about a year and a bit ago. The complaint then and now is that Carnival did not enforce their own dress code. Anything went on Formal nights and rude A-holes purposely dressed as outrageous as possible at times. And now with Cruise Elegant nights, the dress code is an even bigger unfunny joke.

I'm for casual, I'm not for slovenly.

Outrageous attire is a right of passage for teenagers, it is not for so called adults that think they're still young when they're only immature.

And now with Cruise Elegant nights, the dress code is an even bigger unfunny joke.

Outrageous attire is a right of passage for teenagers, it is not for so called adults that think they're still young when they're only immature.

I fully sympathize with your position but I'm not sure you are for casual. Either that or your definition of casual is different then others.

Regardless, please continue to wear your Tux. Good for you!

We just got off the Legend and it was *very* casual. OK, sloppy mostly.

We saw "men" in the dining room with their hats on backwards, with sports jerseys, etc.

Just stating the type of clothing doesn't exactly describe it. Imagine saying someone wore a t-shirt. This could be a guy with a fitted black t-shirt, khaki's, and nice shoes. Or, it could be a guy with a sloppy t-shirt, shorts and sneakers.

I saw most of the latter. Many of these people appeared to have no sense of hygiene, were severely obese, etc. Just stating the facts here. Many of these folks have tacky and poorly done/poorly maintained tattoos as well...the type you get when you're binge drinking one night (before you call me a hater, I actually have two tattoos, the last one I spent several years researching.)

The previous posted who said this is just a reflection of society is right. It wasn't only the dress, it was the way these people spoke to the workers on board, and the way they behaved.

At the end of it all I mostly care less. You'll have as good of a time as you want regardless of who is around you. The only thing that bothered me personally was when people were rude/disrespectful to the workers. That is no way to treat people who bend over backwards to serve you, and are away from their families for 10 months out of the year.

I have to disagree with this completely. What people are wearing does change the atmosphere. When people dress up for Elegant Night or whatever you want to call it, their demeanor changes, especially for teenagers. We put my son in a blue blazer with gray slacks and he matures before our eyes. It's a component of having school kids wear uniforms.

During college I lived in a fraternity that made Animal House look like Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. Every Thursday at 2pm the beer started flowing on our balcony and remained so until Sunday night. Every Monday each member was required to attend dinner and our weekly meeting in coat and tie. The same 100 degenerates who were swilling beer the previous 4 days were transformed into 100 mostly sober, but courteous gentlemen. The sarcastic might say we were putting lipstick on a pig, but we understood the relationship between having an acute sense of propriety and being a bum.

We saw "men" in the dining room with their hats on backwards, with sports jerseys, etc.

I saw most of the latter. Many of these people appeared to have no sense of hygiene, were severely obese, etc. Just stating the facts here. Many of these folks have tacky and poorly done/poorly maintained tattoos as well...the type you get when you're binge drinking one night (before you call me a hater, I actually have two tattoos, the last one I spent several years researching.)

The previous posted who said this is just a reflection of society is right. It wasn't only the dress, it was the way these people spoke to the workers on board, and the way they behaved.

I am guessing Carnival won't be using your comments in their ads.

7 day Caribbean cruise on Seabourn in January. Lowest price, on SALE, $2199.00 per person, plus taxes and Govt fees. Low price on a Carnival cruise in Jan could be $400.pp

Plus had you been around a little while you would know that FORMAL NIGHTS are normal on cruises of all the other mainstream lines. AND were also normal on Carnival as well until about a year and a bit ago. The complaint then and now is that Carnival did not enforce their own dress code. Anything went on Formal nights and rude A-holes purposely dressed as outrageous as possible at times. And now with Cruise Elegant nights, the dress code is an even bigger unfunny joke.

i specifically identified seabourn et al. as luxury lines, so yes, i know they're far far far above a carnival price. yes, formal nights are normal on cruises closer to carnival's price range such as RC, Princess, etc. i only specifically pointed to the ultra luxury lines as they are at the far other end of the paradigm - older cruisers, and little casual dress at all - "elegant casual" is normal just for walking around the cruise ship, which is a collared shirt, dress pants, and i believe a tie.

i'm not advocating people showing up to formal/elegant night in a greatful dead t-shirt and a "**** you" hat, but appreciate the shift to a more casual style of acceptable dress e.g. the elegant dress code vs. the formal dress code on CCL (the code itself, not necessarily what is passed off as elegant/formal in reality.) and yes, this mirrors what is going on in society as a whole, e.g. "business casual" taking hold in white-shoe law firms.

in summary, i'll be at elegant night without a jacket and tie, but also without jean shorts (which no man should own) and flip-flops. if the gentleman to my left wears a tux, more power to him. if the "sub-human" (to borrow a word from you) to my right is wearing the greatful dead t-shirt and "**** you" hat, i'll roll my eyes and proceed on with my meal, unbothered.

I am guessing Carnival won't be using your comments in their ads.

Ha! That is a riot.

Perhaps they could use it as an up-sell technique. "* potential guests interested in a more middle class cruising experience may be interested in selecting one of our newer, more expensive ships..."

Just stating the type of clothing doesn't exactly describe it. Imagine saying someone wore a t-shirt. This could be a guy with a fitted black t-shirt, khaki's, and nice shoes. Or, it could be a guy with a sloppy t-shirt, shorts and sneakers.

At the end of it all I mostly care less. You'll have as good of a time as you want regardless of who is around you. The only thing that bothered me personally was when people were rude/disrespectful to the workers. That is no way to treat people who bend over backwards to serve you, and are away from their families for 10 months out of the year.

I usually do not respond to Dress Code threads as it is like responding to Tipping threads - there is never an end to criticisms, insults, rude come backs, continuous stabbing between individuals but I had to respond to this one.

To comment (generalizing) on hygiene, obesity, tattoos just goes beyond making a contribution to a thread it crosses the line in my mind. I like to dress up but would never in a million years be critical of those who don't - one of my best connections I made on a cruise was a guy tattooed from the neck down (did not show beyond his dress shirt). He was one of the top lawyers in your wonderful, accepting, diverse United States - if I said his name you would all know him and would be shocked. Knock him and you would be knocked right back.

I have to disagree with this completely. What people are wearing does change the atmosphere. When people dress up for Elegant Night or whatever you want to call it, their demeanor changes, especially for teenagers. We put my son in a blue blazer with gray slacks and he matures before our eyes. It's a component of having school kids wear uniforms.

During college I lived in a fraternity that made Animal House look like Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. Every Thursday at 2pm the beer started flowing on our balcony and remained so until Sunday night. Every Monday each member was required to attend dinner and our weekly meeting in coat and tie. The same 100 degenerates who were swilling beer the previous 4 days were transformed into 100 mostly sober, but courteous gentlemen. The sarcastic might say we were putting lipstick on a pig, but we understood the relationship between having an acute sense of propriety and being a bum.

Agree 100%. I put the tea set out for dinner and the kids straighten up. But this approach seems to have died out- I suspect even in most of the school where this was once a set in stone ritual.

I usually do not respond to Dress Code threads as it is like responding to Tipping threads - there is never an end to criticisms, insults, rude come backs, continuous stabbing between individuals but I had to respond to this one.

To comment (generalizing) on hygiene, obesity, tattoos just goes beyond making a contribution to a thread it crosses the line in my mind. I like to dress up but would never in a million years be critical of those who don't - one of my best connections I made on a cruise was a guy tattooed from the neck down (did not show beyond his dress shirt). He was one of the top lawyers in your wonderful, accepting, diverse United States - if I said his name you would all know him and would be shocked. Knock him and you would be knocked right back.

Yeah, but was his tattoo of Wilma Flintstone naked, wearing only Fred's tie, and "Yabba Dabba Do Me" written beneath it? Yeah... tasteful but you're right... to each his own.

If I'd ever cruised on a higher end line I'm sure I'd see the other end of society being equally as rude and disrespectful to the service staff. Potentially even more so... but I guess that is stereotyping too. I'm just biased at the moment from seeing one specific group of people acting that way for an entire week, which I admit is my short-sighted downfall.

Yeah, but was his tattoo of Wilma Flintstone naked, wearing only Fred's tie, and "Yabba Dabba Do Me" written beneath it? Yeah... tasteful but you're right... to each his own.

If I'd ever cruised on a higher end line I'm sure I'd see the other end of society being equally as rude and disrespectful to the service staff. Potentially even more so... but I guess that is stereotyping too. I'm just biased at the moment from seeing one specific group of people acting that way for an entire week, which I admit is my short-sighted downfall.

I appreciate your candor and responding to my post - I just sort of lost it and for that I apologize and after hearing about the tattoos I can get your point. And I also agree (and I am generalizing now) it seems like the richer, higher in society (so they think) seem to to be the most demanding, condescending and rude people. I wish that everyone was on the same level and treated everyone with the same respect they expect.

I don't understand why people have an aversion to dressing up. I feel that you should put on something nice as if you were in a metropolitan city going to a nice restaurant or at least wedding attire. You have all day to wear your crappy clothes and swim suits...as a matter of fact you probably have 360 other days of the year to wear your usual crappy clothes! Make an effort. I am not saying go formal...but all means I don't want to see you in shorts and jeans in the dining room. You aren't eating hamburger and hotdogs...like one poster said, they are planning to eat lobster and steak. I look to this as date night with my husband for a whole week and I like to see him looking nice and he is certainly very complimentary to me when he sees me in something besides the typical jean attire. The last cruise I was on I actually saw someone in a baseball hat and a rude tshirt in the diningroom....where do you draw the line!
...And I don't understand why you or anyone is actually looking at what I (or anyone else) is wearing?? Make an effort to concentrate on you and yours and you may enjoy date night/week even more since you will only be concerned with spending that quality time with hubby.

I have to disagree with this completely. What people are wearing does change the atmosphere.

How can you disagree with what MY feelings were towards the situation?

I did not say it should not bother anyone.... I did not say you should not be bothered by it.

I said:

my experience was no different no matter what people around me wore

The only time I was having an issue during dining was a group of well dressed "adults" that were very loud. They were having a conversation between two tables (of about 6/8 each) and were quite annoying.

However the way they were dressed had no bearing on the way they were acting. Hence the saying you can dress up a pig but it is still a pig. (or some such)

EDIT - Im sure they were nice people and having a great time. Im no way saying they were "bad" people. Just a little to loud and annoying.

Archived