HAL's Signature of Excellence (SOE) Timetable and Details

Stevesan

I hope the toilet thing is not a faulty design. Either way they should be getting used to fixing it by now.

We are doing a cruisetour with the land portion first, and are going up a day early to stay at Aleyska and do the Kenai Fjords boat trip. While in Denali we will do the Cabin Nite dinner, Tundra Wilderness Tour and a "jet boat safari". My son was too young for the river rafting, unfortunately.

After we sail we are doing:

Sitka: Historic Sitka, Raptor Center and Russian Dancers

Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest

Skagway: Dog Sledding & Helicopter Glacier Flight

Liarsville Salmon Bake & Gold Panning

Juneau: Discovery Point Nature Walk

Mt Roberts Tramway

Mendenhall Glacier by Helicopter

Ketchikan: Alaskan Lumberjack Show

Misty Fjords by Floatplane

Now you see why I may have overdone it! My husband keeps muttering something about Alaska starting to sound like Disney World. At least everyone will sleep soundly and I don't think we care a bit about the floor shows on the ship . . . We are used to eating late and are currently scheduled for 7:45, but may move it to 8:15. Oh, well, we might not get to Alaska again any time soon.

Wow, that is a ton of stuff to pack into one trip. I have heard that the helicopter and the dog sledding is wonderful and not to be missed. Mendenhall glacier (sp?) I have also heard is wonderful....I think I will have to go see it next time I am in Junea. I don't typically do shore excursions partly because I go on vacation to relax and I find when I have to run around (like disneyland) it is not relaxing. Anyway...it sounds like you will have a wonderful time!! I am sure you kids will as well.

I reallyl don't think the toilet problem is a design flaw. There is always one or two plugged toilets on the ships - you just only usually see the public ones. I think it is the type of system they are forced to use. Besides, even the best toilets have problems sometimes!!! I am sure they will have it all fixed by the time you go. In fact, by the end of my cruise I did not hear any more complaints about the toilets. I think they get all the bugs worked out once they do their first trip or two out of dry dock. But they can not find the problems until they happen and, unfortunately, the ship has to be operational for that to happen so someone ends up getting inconvenienced.

All in all the trip I had on the Statendam was wonderful. If you are dining at 7:45 you must be on the upper floor of the dining room - I have never actually dined on the upper floor, but I think that is where I am in November when I go on the Westerdam so I will see what it is like then.

I will let you know when I figure out the photo thing.

Diana

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone has been on the Veendam Southern Carribbean Cruise l4 days Tampa to Tampa which includes San Juan, Barbados, and the islands in the Southern Carribbean - which tours in which ports were the "highlights" for your cruise? Would appreciate any "tips" -- Mariettalady2 Thank you

mariettalady,

Start a new thread. Very few pay much attention to this thread and I don't think many will notice this under "soe timetable".

:)

There is a very large group of people on this board that is doing this cruise in Nov.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There seems to be some confusion on how to read the SOE schedule chart. If you check the notes on the bottom of the chart you will notice that the block in the first column says the this ship will get flat panel tv's and DVD players and that the implementation is is based on the last column "All enhancements complete". For example the Veendam will get the flat panel tv's and bedding and so forth, but not untill Spring of 2006. Also looking at the chart the Zuiderdam, Westerdam, and Oosterdam will NOT get the flat panel TV nor DVD. That is because there is no block in the column for the vista class ships. The exception to that is the Noordam which will come out with all enhancements including flat panel TV and DVD.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived