Cozumel and/or Belize snorkeling

pinkmaija

Cozumel. The snorkeling is closer meaning less transit time. There are a lot of companies offering snorkeling which keeps the cost down. The water is clearer and the coral nicer. Ships dock in Cozumel so you can just walk off the ship.

Belize will require some transit time ($$). The snorkeling spots are not near where the ship will stop. The water is not as clear as Cozumel. Belize is a tender port meaning you will have to be taken to the pier by tenders. The trip is free.

The sea turtle excursion in Cozumel is one that takes you to Akumal on the mainland....so you have to take the ferry across for 45 minutes which can sometimes be a rough ride, and then another 30-45 min. drive to get to Akumal. Not sure how long you have to snorkel once you get there. We did not do it because we are going to Akumal in a few months for a week and will be staying near the area where the sea turtles are.

Much easier to snorkel in Cozumel. We usually take a taxi to Dzul-ha (sometimes called Money Bar) and easy access into the water from a few steps. It is a little restaurant/bar with access into the water. Many of the ship's excursions go to this location by boat, so it is best to get off the ship early, take a taxi, and get there early so you will have time to snorkel for a while before the larger groups arrive. We always go in the morning and by the time the boats and large groups arrive, we are ready to leave. Used to be another area called "Corona Beach" with a similar set up as Dzul-ha for similar snorkeling. You can go to either on your own in a taxi.

We have gone to Goff's Caye in Belize on a ship's excursion. It is a little island about the size of a football field with 5 palm trees and a port-a-potty and nothing else (a few vendors selling t-shirts, jewelry and some food)....water can be a little less clear (also depends on the weather) and current can be a little strong, but you can see quite a bit of coral and fish. We saw lots of fish, even some huge queen angelfish, small rays and the largest barracuda we have ever seen....you can snorkel from the boat a little ways out from the island and drift towards the island, but the current was strong each time we were there, or you can have the boat take you to the beach on the island and snorkel from the beach at your own pace. Be sure to wear water shoes, as there is a lot of shallow areas of coral. Same with Cozumel...wear water shoes so you won't cut up your feet.

I would recommend snorkeling in Cozumel and taking an excursion to see some of the Mayan ruins in Belize (have been to Xuantunich, Altun-Ha and Lamanai and all are good, but Lamanai is the most fun and adventurous!!

Hope this info helps. Enjoy!!

CruiserTN

I was reading in your report about snorkelling in Goffs Cay, and I was wondering because you said that the was quite a current there, if you think it is a good idea to take a novice snorkeller and two kids ages 9 and 10. I was all set to book it but now wondering about the current, I am a good swimmer and my kids can swim but now I am worrying about the current. I liked the idea of being picked up at the ship and the island looks beautiful but now I am wondering?????

Any advice?

Louisa :confused:

CruiserTN

I was reading in your report about snorkelling in Goffs Cay, and I was wondering because you said that the was quite a current there, if you think it is a good idea to take a novice snorkeller and two kids ages 9 and 10. I was all set to book it but now wondering about the current, I am a good swimmer and my kids can swim but now I am worrying about the current. I liked the idea of being picked up at the ship and the island looks beautiful but now I am wondering?????

Any advice?

Louisa :confused:

In Y2005 I took my then11YO grandson snorkeling at Belize's Rendezvous Cay.

The cays straddle the barrier reef and are very similar. There was no noticeable current.

The boats anchor near enough to wade to the island.

Currents depend on climatic conditions and can occur anywhere.

Here's a photo of the island:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2107841000088053251ZHmEgq

I personally recommend snorkeling/diving at both Belize and Cozumel.

If it's an either/or decision, go with Coz.

Thanks, Stevesan, I thought by booking it directly from Carnival, if the weather is bad at least we would get our money back. I don't want to take the kids and my co worker in iffy weather. Too bad you couldn't get pre booking advice from a weather fairy.:)

Emosewa:cool: Fingers crossed for good weather

The picture posted by Stevesan looks similar to Goff's Caye!! As he posted, current can happen at any time depending on weather, time of year, etc. Goff's Caye has lots of rough and rocky areas around the beach to access the water, so you have to wear some kind of water shoes also or you will cut your feet. We went to Goff's two times; once around the end of May and another time in March, and current was about the same both times. If your kids are strong swimmers (and you have to wear a vest for safety), they should be OK.....I would book the trip through the ship and if the weather is bad and they cancel, you will automatically get a refund. Enjoy!!

I also agree with Stevesan about snorkeling in Cozumel and Belize....if it is a matter of one or the other, I would do it in Cozumel because it is easier to get to....you can take a taxi to Dzul-ha and get right in the water from the shore. If it is one or the other and you snorkel in Cozumel, I highly recommend going to one of the Mayan ruin sites in Belize such as Lamanai, Xuantunich or Altun-ha....there is nothing in Belize City where the ship anchors....you have to tender in and there is a shopping area at the dock and that is about it....in order to see the beautiful jungle and areas with Mayan ruins, you need to get away from Belize City, or you will be disappointed in Belize if all you see is the shopping area at the dock.

Thanks CRUISERTN,

I am a huge snorkelling fan, and I am hoping my kids will put up with it all, I must snorkel in Belize and Honduras (on my bucket list). I have been snorkelling in Hawaii quite a bit so looking forward to something different.

I was hoping to go to the ruins but I think the kids would be bored and see it as a pile of rock, I will have to do that another time sans kids. I will remember to bring my water shoes and spend a bit more and book thru the cruise line in case of bad weather. We are cruising in November. I am taking the boys zip lining in Honduras so something for them as well. In Cozumel, we are just going to relax at an all inclusive, ( I would prefer to snorkel) but need to make everyone happy so I think Belize and a bit in Honduras will have to do. I look forward to seeing some good coral and different fish. Any suggestions for snorkelling after ziplining in Honduras? I guess it can't be too far away, zip lining is about an hour to and hour and a half. A nice beach, with water access to snorkelling. Any problems with jellies?

Thanks for all of your input.

Emosewa

If you really enjoy snorkeling, you MUST go to Tabyana Beach in Roatan (Honduras). Some of the best snorkeling from the beach that you will ever see. Very easy for the kids, too, and if you do the zip lining in Roatan, it is probably near Gumbalimba which is also close to Tabyana beach. If I had a choice of snorkeling in Belize or Roatan, I would take Roatan (Tabyana beach) hands down. We have snorkeled all over the Caribbean and Tabyana is our absolute favorite!!

Thanks CRUISERTN

Our zip line is right at the port where Carnival docks, then I was thinking to cab it out to Tabyana after, but think I might be running out of time as we are only 12-6 in port. Our zipping should only be about an hour and a half. Not really sure about cabbing by ourselves, makes me a little worried, but really wanted to try snorkelling at Tabyana, I have heard such good things. Do you remember how long it takes from Mahogany Bay out to Tabyana? Is it worth it with travel time both there and back? How much for cab? Am I trying to pack too much in? Cannot miss the boat.:eek:

EMOSEWA:cool:

From the cruise ship dock to Tabyana, it will take about 30 minutes, give or take a few minutes. Roatan is one place where we have paid more and just taken the ships tour to Tabyana because it is more convenient and includes lunch, and we don't have to worry about getting back to the ship.

Taxis can be a hassle and seems to be no set charge from what I have learned from talking to others. Some will say a taxi will take them to Tabyana for $20 and others will say $60 and no guarantee you can get them to wait or come back for you....if zip lining is on your things to do, my personal choice would be to snorkel Tabyana in Roatan and do the zip lining in Belize. I think there is an excursion in Roatan that includes zip lining as well as a snorkel stop at Tabyana and that might be your best bet.

Thanks, Stevesan, I thought by booking it directly from Carnival, if the weather is bad at least we would get our money back. I don't want to take the kids and my co worker in iffy weather. Too bad you couldn't get pre booking advice from a weather fairy.:)

Emosewa:cool: Fingers crossed for good weather

Booking thru the cruise ship is a good choice for Belize. That's a tender port and the ride is quite long.

Booked thru the ship, your boat picks up at and returns to the tender doors. :p

Shore snorkeling is outstanding at Roatan, perfect for both you and the kids. The ship's "tour" is a good choice.

They run R/T shuttles about every half hour.

Tabyana is a section of "West Bay" beach with an area reserved for cruise ship pax with chairs, lunch, a guide, etc.

BTW-ALL reputable operators will refund your money if your ship doesn't dock due to weather or other factors.

That's not a worry. :D

Thanks for the suggestions! I want to see the Shark Ray Alley!

Shark Ray Alley off Ambergris Cay is excellent, but like someone else mentioned it is a ways from where the ship tenders in.

Cozumel is also excellent for snorkeling. My advice snorkel in both Belize and Cozumel. The Reef in Belize is in general in much better shape than in Cozumel from the hurricane damage. But even post-hurricane Cozumel is still amazing to snorkel.

• 2 weeks later...

I have booked the Goff's Cay in Belize, directly from Carnival, just for convienience, as they pick us up at the Ship. In Roatan we will do the zip and clip ziplining at the port, and then booked with Island Marketing afterwards to take us to Tabyana for some snorkelling. I have two kids with me, so I wasn't that comfortable taking a cab out there, this way I am pretty confident that I.M. will get me back in time. Just need to remember to set my watch to ship time. Thanks for all of your advice.;)

EMOSEWA:cool:

Happy Snorkelling

Archived