PVP said no passport needed is this true?

cruisinjerseygirl

I have my passport but my best friend will be sailing with me in January and doesn't and she asked if the passport was needed. The PVP said she would be fine with just the passport and birth certificate but my sister argued with me that this isn't so. Can someone clarify this for me?

From a thread that I read on here a few days ago, I believe that your friend will need a passport.

I have my passport but my best friend will be sailing with me in January and doesn't and she asked if the passport was needed. The PVP said she would be fine with just the passport and birth certificate but my sister argued with me that this isn't so. Can someone clarify this for me?

Don't let her read it she will just get more confused trust me:p

Your friend can board with a "certified birth certificate"

as of april you did NOT need a passport i know because i sailed without one. you do not need a passport if you are doing a closed loop cruise aka returning to the same port you left from. the only risk is if something goes wrong and you need to fly home you can't. tell your friend to spend the $150 and get a passport she still ahs plenty of time. i just got mine it only took 4 weeks and it was not expedited

Don't let her read it she will just get more confused trust me:p

Your friend can board with a "certified birth certificate"

LOL...you are so right! I ended up posting just the original post not the entire thread... just as an FYI of what could happen. I guess it's really anyone's guess what they will accept at any given time.

I think I will pay for it for her for her bday present. I feel bad because funds are a little tight for her and that's why we are doing such a short cruise and this will be her first and she really wants to go but she can't afford the airline tix and the passport right now.

Wow! You are a great friend. The good news is she will have plenty of time to get her passport back before the cruise. I hope she knows what a great friend she has in you.

Wow! You are a great friend. The good news is she will have plenty of time to get her passport back before the cruise. I hope she knows what a great friend she has in you.

Thank you! Yes she's my best friend and probably the only person other than my daughter that I would do this for! I will discuss it with her and go from there. I am in a better place than she is financially but I was in a rut, hence why I didn't cruise for so long, and I wasn't able to do anything and if I needed milk and eggs she was right there at the store buying it for me :)

Our best friends just got back from a cruise on Carnival Freedom a couple weeks ago. It was their first cruise and we didn't believe them that they didn't need a passport, but all they had was an official certified birth certificate (it had to have the raised seal) and drivers license. As long as they didn't get into any trouble, they were fine. Like the one previous poster stated, if something would have happened in Grand Cayman or Jamaica then they would have had a problem getting home, but otherwise since it was a closed loop cruise, they didn't need one.

I personally think she should get one. They're good for 10 years and she's going to love the cruise. In a year or 2 she may be back on her feet and will definitely want to go on another cruise with you and she'll already have it.

Hi Tali!! Long time no hear! lol

Tali, your friend and your daughter do not need a passport to go on a cruise that starts and ends at the same port. But they do need a CERTIFIED Birth Certificate. It must have the offical stamped raised seal on the birth certificate. A hospital birth certificate will not work.

Your daughter can get an offical Identification card from the DMV, but she won't really need it. Since she is a minor.

One thing that you might need to know for the future is that you will need a notorized letter from your ex so your daughter can travel out of the country with you.

Have a great cruise Tali! It is really nice to hear from you.:D

One more thing...if something happens, and you have to fly home, your friend will need a passport to do that. You can't fly without a passport.

Hey Janet!!!

It's been so long!! Things have been rough we have to catch up! You have cruised so much since we last spoke. I will definitely tell my friend. As for my ex lets hope he's willing to do it although it shouldn't be an issue and I am not planning on taking her for quite some time unless someone else is willing to pay for it lol!! I went from being on here daily to not at all in over a year but I hated to come and see that everyone was going on a cruise and I couldn't do it. Thank god things are starting to work out for me and I am able to go again and I can plan for one in the future as well! I will be around here and there because I am on the prowl for my next big cruise!! I am thinking late 2011 or early 2012 sometime with my daughter for an 8 day maybe just searching now and seeing if my partner in crime that I met on my first cruise will want to go with me this time around. We have done 2 together lets hope she wants to go again!

Hey Janet!!!

It's been so long!! Things have been rough we have to catch up! You have cruised so much since we last spoke. I will definitely tell my friend. As for my ex lets hope he's willing to do it although it shouldn't be an issue and I am not planning on taking her for quite some time unless someone else is willing to pay for it lol!! I went from being on here daily to not at all in over a year but I hated to come and see that everyone was going on a cruise and I couldn't do it. Thank god things are starting to work out for me and I am able to go again and I can plan for one in the future as well! I will be around here and there because I am on the prowl for my next big cruise!! I am thinking late 2011 or early 2012 sometime with my daughter for an 8 day maybe just searching now and seeing if my partner in crime that I met on my first cruise will want to go with me this time around. We have done 2 together lets hope she wants to go again!

Tali, I am so glad you are doing better now. I know you went through hell and back. I know of an awesome cruise in feb. 2012. It is a cruise critic group cruise sailing on the new Carnival magic out of Galveston! Since you haven't been on the dream yet, you will be absolutley amazed with the Magic! She is the sister to the Dream. Incredible!! My friend Rich is the group leader and I am telling you the folks he has going are so much fun!! My sister and I are hoping to book it as well. Check it out!

Here is the link to the chat thread, they don't have an official forum yet.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1254850&highlight

and here is Richs email addy:

rwzike@yahoo.com He is so much fun!! He can give you all the pricing and info.

As of now you will be fine with a certified copy of your birth certificate and a drivers license or other government photo ID. Happy sailings.

Jandjfun-

The notarization isn't entirely true. What about for children who've been abandoned or estranged from a parent? If you have court papers stating you have custody of the child, you can get a passport wo the other parent's consent. Plus, I think you can make a motion in court seeking permission, and after showing due diligence in trying to find the other parent, the judge can grant permission. Also, not that this is legal, but you can always fudge the notarization or have a private notarizer authenticate the other parent's approval.

If your state offers them She could also upgrade her Drivers license to an enhanced drivers license! I did that here in Washington State and it only cost me $15 :)

I only plan on taking closed loop tours and with in only Canada,mexico or the Caribbean so the EDL was a much cheaper choice for me - check into it for your state

I was reading a b;ogg just 2 days ago and a lady was so mad. They showed up for thier cruise and Carnival would not let them and about 20 other ppl on because they did not have passports. This was a closed loop cruise.She was trying to fine out if she could get her mony back. It was her, her husband and 3 kidds

I was reading a b;ogg just 2 days ago and a lady was so mad. They showed up for thier cruise and Carnival would not let them and about 20 other ppl on because they did not have passports. This was a closed loop cruise.She was trying to fine out if she could get her mony back. It was her, her husband and 3 kidds

They did not have CERTIFIED Birth Certificates. Only the one the hospital gives the Mom. It has to be certified.

Jandjfun-

The notarization isn't entirely true. What about for children who've been abandoned or estranged from a parent? If you have court papers stating you have custody of the child, you can get a passport wo the other parent's consent. Plus, I think you can make a motion in court seeking permission, and after showing due diligence in trying to find the other parent, the judge can grant permission. Also, not that this is legal, but you can always fudge the notarization or have a private notarizer authenticate the other parent's approval.

This is all true. My grand daughters father is a deadbeat dad. And his permission was not necessary for her to go on a cruise. But I think Tali's husband is in the picture, so I assumed they have joint custody so his permission would be necessary.

But you are absolutely right. :D

When we booked our cruise, we went and got our Passports.

Only took about 4 weeks to get them. Process was smooth, thankfully (hard to believe with the government :rolleyes: )

It wasn't cheap, but we won't have to worry about taking not only our certified birth certs, but also our marriage license because of DW's last name being "different" compare to her birth cert.

We found this out ahead of time when we went to Jamaica in 2005 and it could have been a disaster if we didnt have our marriage license.

LOL... I think you need to go re-read that thread. That is NOT what happened.

Archived