NCL DAWN ENGINE PROBLEMS...Cause For Concern This Winter Season?!?

Hamptonsailor

Interesting theory but I can't find anything online to back up or even suggest that this is why the Dawn lost power last year.

According to Carnival's website power strips are not banned but our listed under Miscellaneous Concerns:

"Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark. "

Which I take to mean if they are in bad condition and may cause a hazard they would take them. BTW also listed under "Miscellaneous Concerns" are snorkel gear and golf clubs and you are allowed to bring them on you just can't snorkel in the pool, etc.

I do agree that there would be more of a drain on a ships electric due to the use of electronics but I am sure overloading of circuits are handled by circuit breakers and would not blow out the whole ships electric system. Most electronics such as game systems, phone chargers etc. use less than 2 watts each how many watts are used by the blow dryer, the lights, TV and fridge? It sure sounds far fetched to me.

Power strips do increase the load factor, current is still being supplied. Never mind the amps being used... And while its true the circuit breakers will flip, power strips do present an increased fire hazard than a ship without power strips...

My Coastie mates scuttlebutt says the Coast Guard is aware of the huge increase in passenger demands for electricity on cruise ships. There is a reason why there is only one outlet in most cabins. Safety first... We aren't living in the 1980s any longer...

We did an entire cruise on the Pearl a couple years ago, with one azipod completely shut down. They did shorten one port by a few hours, but otherwise it was not noticeable to passengers at all.

We leave on the Dawn in 10 days...I'm not worried...and I'm still super excited! Now, if anyone wants to cancel, so I can get a chance at an upsell...go right ahead. ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1053845&page=95

Paula, come join the roll call. We have a really fun bunch, and a very large group who will meet the first sea day at a meet and greet with senior staff.

Nobody on our roll call has expressed any concern, other than early on, the possibility of cancellation, and then, of getting to the distant ports on time. NCL took care of that, by revising our schedule. The net effect is minor for those of us on the cruise, and yet it allows NCL to be on time, when arriving at the various ports. I think NCL has done a good job revising the schedules, letting folks know, and giving the choice to cancel.

Cruise ships are built with redundant systems, so in my opinion, there is no danger going on the Dawn, which has three of the four engines up and running. Worst case, should they have to shut another down for some unknown reason, is some ships services would be reduced, and we would sail back to Miami a little slower. I check AIS frequently, and last night the Dawn was sailing at 21.9 knots for quite a while. Heck, that is top speed for half the ships out there.

Al

We just got off the Jewel on Tuesday. The Jewel also has the wear in the thrust bearing on the ship's azipd propulsion system. We did not notice anything, matter-of-fact the first 8 days sailing it was as smooth as glass. The last 2 days got bumpy when the hurricane started coming up the coast. At the CC meet and greet with the captain he said there were no safety issues sailing with this problem, the ship just can't go as fast. Although a few times I noticed on the tv we were going 19 knots. Don't worry, go, enjoy and have a good time!

We just got off the Jewel on Tuesday too, and it was smooth sailing until the last day or two. Also, you really don't have any sense that the ship is going slower even though it is. Our itinerary was revised for that reason and, while we were dissapointed in loosing a port of call, we still had a great time. I'd have no concerns about sailing on the Dawn.:p

Dawn4-edit.jpg

I always suspected that the people on Deck 4 had to take a shift rowing... What you don't see is the inside cabins.... They have to take a shift PEDALING... This is why I wouldn't book a room on Deck 4... That and the passengers walking by changing my door sign from "Do Not Disturb" to "Bang on the Door and Clean my room Now." Oh--you didn't know that was a setting? Book a room on Deck 4 and see.... LOL I'm kidding.... I've ALWAYS said, any cabin ON the ship is better than a cabin OFF the ship.... I'll take a shift rowing to be on the Dawn....

And I THAnk You:

JWK: Row Row Row your boat....

I always suspected that the people on Deck 4 had to take a shift rowing... What you don't see is the inside cabins.... They have to take a shift PEDALING... This is why I wouldn't book a room on Deck 4... JWK: Row Row Row your boat....

Those dirty rats told me that thing with pedals was an exercise machine !!!:D

Paula, come join the roll call. We have a really fun bunch, and a very large group who will meet the first sea day at a meet and greet with senior staff.

Nobody on our roll call has expressed any concern, other than early on, the possibility of cancellation, and then, of getting to the distant ports on time. NCL took care of that, by revising our schedule. The net effect is minor for those of us on the cruise, and yet it allows NCL to be on time, when arriving at the various ports. I think NCL has done a good job revising the schedules, letting folks know, and giving the choice to cancel.

Cruise ships are built with redundant systems, so in my opinion, there is no danger going on the Dawn, which has three of the four engines up and running. Worst case, should they have to shut another down for some unknown reason, is some ships services would be reduced, and we would sail back to Miami a little slower. I check AIS frequently, and last night the Dawn was sailing at 21.9 knots for quite a while. Heck, that is top speed for half the ships out there.

Al

Exactly, many of the ships don't sail as fast as the Dawn does with all of their engines. If NCL had originally posted the Dawn's revised schedule not many would have booked a different ship. The Dawn's one engine is a molehill, lets not make mountains out of it. Enjoy your few more hours at sea and make the most of your shortened shore time...

Al

BikerAl, you have a very impressive 117 plus on your roll call.......so please don't try "shanghaiing" Paula away from our cruise on 3 October!:D

Ive never been one of those last minute running down to the pier because Im late to get back on the boat types anyways. ive always been back on the boat with more than a half hour to spare. I cant see this really impacting all that much since there is plenty of notice to make alternate arrangements even for those who have gone off the board and booked their own day trips. I think the boat excursions will be arranged to accomodate, and there will be plenty of time to wander around for those who like to use two feet and a heart beat to see the port. Im certainly not going to let this get in the way of me having a great cruise.

Lets see...two Azipods, one is off line. If the other Azipod goes off line how do we sail? On side trusters? Sideways back to Miami? If an airplane lost only one of it's engines would it be allowed to fly? Don't think so.

This is where you are wrong. The azipod is not off line... One azipod is still going full speed, the other one around 75 percent speed on the Jewel and the Star as I recall, not sure really...

The wounded azipod is being slowed down some to save the trust bearings so the azipod won't go down...

Azipods are supposed to be non maintenance, how can anyone service them when they are outside the ship under the hull?

Instruments are showing the bearings are vibrating more than they should, so the reason for the slow down. NCL will fix the problem with a dry dock as soon as the parts and a dry dock are available...

And as far as the Dawn is concerned, its not her azipods, its a blown piston of one of her diesels. Three diesels, more than sufficient for operations, are still available out of four diesels. She lose a couple of knots of her speed as well...

Don't make silly false comments if you know absolutely nothing about azipods please... It only shows your ignorance... :D:D:D

BikerAl, you have a very impressive 117 plus on your roll call.......so please don't try "shanghaiing" Paula away from our cruise on 3 October!:D

I won't do it if you guys buy a bunch of lobster in New England, and leave it on board for the XXX Dawnados.:D

Al

Power strips do increase the load factor, current is still being supplied. Never mind the amps being used... And while its true the circuit breakers will flip, power strips do present an increased fire hazard than a ship without power strips...

My Coastie mates scuttlebutt says the Coast Guard is aware of the huge increase in passenger demands for electricity on cruise ships. There is a reason why there is only one outlet in most cabins. Safety first... We aren't living in the 1980s any longer...

Believe me the blow dryers on board pose more of a safety hazard than a power strip does. A friend of ours on a cruise two years ago received electrical burns when she turned on the ships blow dryer. I agree we are not living in the 1980s anymore and these cruise lines need to take that into consideration and outfit their ships to handle the current days situation which includes electronics.

I still stand by my post, there is nothing I see online to back up your point that everyone on the ship was using power strips and that was why the Dawn lost power last year.

I received an email from NCL a couple of days ago indicating that there has been a few itinerary changes for my March 11/11 sailing on the Dawn. It appears that we are losing about an hour in each port. So far none of the ports have been canceled. Fingers crossed those are all the changes that will be made!

[quote name='PorkChopKid']We're on Dawn for the repositioning cruise and received a message about the slower speed. We got such a good deal that we're going to take our chances and go anyway. As someone said elsewhere, maybe the ship won't be as crowded. Thanks all for the info...[/quote]
[COLOR=Black]
Sorry, but the ship will be crowded. It is pretty much sold out. We have been on the last 3 Fall reposition cruises of the Dawn and they have all been pretty much sold out. Repositions are very popular.

Come join our roll call:
[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1053845[/url]

PE[/COLOR]

Archived