When ship is chartered - what happens if?

We are on the 1/7/06 sailing of the Grandeur and apparently it is now chartered as it is a sell out. What happens if RCCL decides to bump us off that sailing to use our rooms for more of the charter passengers. Has anyone ever had this done to them and does RCCL compensate you in anyway. We are in connecting balcony rooms - one of the reasons we have

booked so early is we are traveling with our parnets who are in their 80's

and we want to be near each other.

We are on the 1/7/06 sailing of the Grandeur and apparently it is now chartered as it is a sell out. What happens if RCCL decides to bump us off that sailing to use our rooms for more of the charter passengers. Has anyone ever had this done to them and does RCCL compensate you in anyway. We are in connecting balcony rooms - one of the reasons we have

It is a pretty small percentage of cruises that are chartered. So I wouldn't worry about it too much. However, if your cruise is chartered you may want to change your sailing date anyway, sometimes the group doing the chartering takes over the ship, and it may have a different feel as compared to a regular sailing. They will compensate you in someway, and they will offer to reschedule you, from what I have read about past occurrences posted here.

jc

The *BEST* thing to do is call RCI and find out (1) if the ship is chartered, (2) what the likelihood of being bumped is (sometimes the group that charters is a fixed size that doesn't increase and there is no danger) and (3) if there is any compensation for switching to a non-chartered cruise. They will provide whatever information they can.

Beware that if the chartered group is unconfirmed due to paperwork, then the cruiseline will not give any compensation for a change until the group is confirmed and then they should offer compensation. If you change before the official notice, and they offer compensation later, they may not grant you to compensation, so you should definitely call them and follow whatever information they give you.

If you are worried about another cruise option, book the other cruise and make sure to cancel it before the downpayment deadline (typically 60 days out) if you find you don't need the "backup" cruise. This covers your bases.

Thank you for your responses, yes I have called RCCL and at this point all they will tell me is yes it has been chartered but by whom and for how many

they are not saying, The girl said they NEVER bump you if you are booked and a ship is taken over by a charter which I know is untrue just by reading these boards. Guess we just sit back and wait as this was a good week for

us and the price was a governing factor for the balcony rooms. Our departure date is not a locked in date as our job vacations are flexible and

my parnets/sister are just traveling during next winter so another date is

OK,,, but the price is more the factor at this point.

Archived