Snorkeling: Bonaire or Curacao?

pinkie1

I'm trying to decide between two southern Caribbean cruises for April 2012 (I know I'm planning ahead). One is with RCI Adventure OTS and it goes to Curacao, and others. The other option is Caribbean Princess that goes to Bonaire. Which island has better snorkeling? Also, do any of you have any experience with either of these ships?

Any info would be great! Thanks!

I haven't snorkeled Curacao, nor have I been on Adv. OTS. I have done the 14 day southern Caribbean on the CB (last Feb./Mar.) and loved it so much that we're returning in January. It's not my favorite ship, but I had no complaints about it. We snorkeled in every port, and plan to do it again this winter. Snorkeling off Klein Bonaire was awesome. This year we're going to try a couple of hours of shore snorkeling off Bonaire. I'll try to remember to come back here and let you know how it went.

Hey there Mytime53! You may not remember me, but you were supposed to be on the CB with my cruise in November '09. You ended up not going due to issues you had at the time, as I remember. We emailed a few times back and forth. I am glad to hear that you went on the CB in March! Did you go with Woodwind in Bonaire? We did and it was awesome! We had a great time on CB with a wonderful group of folks. DH, extended family, and I will be on Serenade in January. OP: Sorry to crash your thread! I saw a familiar name, and wanted to say Hi!

To the OP, I have snorkeled in both islands and have been on both ships. Hands down, Bonaire is better for snorkeling. I was so blown away! I have snokeled in a LOT of places and this was by far, the best!! I like AOS better than CB, but you can't go wrong with either! If you go with CB, book with Woodwind. They are great!

Kristine

Hey there Mytime53! You may not remember me, but you were supposed to be on the CB with my cruise in November '09. You ended up not going due to issues you had at the time, as I remember. We emailed a few times back and forth. I am glad to hear that you went on the CB in March! Did you go with Woodwind in Bonaire? We did and it was awesome! We had a great time on CB with a wonderful group of folks. DH, extended family, and I will be on Serenade in January. OP: Sorry to crash your thread! I saw a familiar name, and wanted to say Hi!

To the OP, I have snorkeled in both islands and have been on both ships. Hands down, Bonaire is better for snorkeling. I was so blown away! I have snokeled in a LOT of places and this was by far, the best!! I like AOS better than CB, but you can't go wrong with either! If you go with CB, book with Woodwind. They are great!

Kristine

Hey Kristine--I do remember you--we had a great time on the cruise, but it seemed like we were missing our friends! Since we went last minute, Woodwind was booked, so we went on the Sea Cow. Snorkeling was great, atmosphere was okay.

OP--sorry to continue the hijack!

Hmmmm... tough decision now because my hubby doesn't really like Princess cruises of the two he's been on. He's going on his first RCI this Jan. I'd rather go with RCI but it seems like Bonaire is the place to snorkel.

Thanks for all the input, even if the thread was hijacked for a bit ;)

If anyone has any other info that would be great!

• 1 month later...

We have taken week-long trips to both Bonaire and Curacao. DH got his PADI open water and advanced open water certification in Bonaire. We've snorkeled and dived on both islands - Bonaire is way better when comparing the two because of their reef conseravtion efforts.

If you can, sign up for the "drift snorkel" off Klein Bonaire. Lots of coral and you just "drift along with the current".

Archived