Thomson Dream On Watchdog 23 Sept

EJNutz

Originally Posted by UK_Cruiser viewpost.gif

:DChuckle:D

Not to mention what a shoddy fleet Thomsons have !

Couldn't get any worse from what I could see.

Bloody awful looking ship.

such a sad person , that's twice in the last two threads i've read on here he's criticised Thomsons or a Thomson ship , how sad , uninteresting , shallow and inadequate his life must be indeed that he feels the need to go onto a Thomson forum to put them down rather than try to be constructive with any criticism he may have :confused:

UK Cruiser - I think we get your point! For whatever reasons, you obviously DON'T like Thomson ships and have no intentions of sailing on them - lots of us do - what is the point on coming on here and saying these things??!!! Stick to the ships you sail on and we'll stick to the ones we sail on. Happy Sailing ;):D

such a sad person , that's twice in the last two threads i've read on here he's criticised Thomsons or a Thomson ship , how sad , uninteresting , shallow and inadequate his life must be indeed that he feels the need to go onto a Thomson forum to put them down rather than try to be constructive with any criticism he may have :confused:

Incorrect - its a forum, a place for criticism and praise alike. I came on here with a genuine interest to see the response of guys like yourself that cruise Thomson to the Watchdog report. If you can't stand the heat and all that.......

I was also genuinely keen to understand why people are cruising these lines on these very old ships for RCI and P&O money? Something that hasn't been answered, if you're looking for British ambiance then P&O is surely the default selection?

The ship is clearly in need of a drydock (something that if I was a paying customer would suggest should have taken place prior to a paying passenger setting foot aboard), a strip down and refurb - if Thomson were going to do that, I'm sure they'd be shouting about it from the front page of their glossy misleading website instead of sticking towels round the back of leaking loo's!

At the end of the day a cruise is an individual choice about whats right for you and those who travel with you. If this line is the fit for you guys then I wish you a wonderful and enjoyable holiday.

Its not for me but if we all liked the same thing.........what would be the point.

Happy travels.

Incorrect - its a forum, a place for criticism and praise alike. I came on here with a genuine interest to see the response of guys like yourself that cruise Thomson to the Watchdog report. If you can't stand the heat and all that.......

I was also genuinely keen to understand why people are cruising these lines on these very old ships for RCI and P&O money? Something that hasn't been answered, if you're looking for British ambiance then P&O is surely the default selection?

The ship is clearly in need of a drydock (something that if I was a paying customer would suggest should have taken place prior to a paying passenger setting foot aboard), a strip down and refurb - if Thomson were going to do that, I'm sure they'd be shouting about it from the front page of their glossy misleading website instead of sticking towels round the back of leaking loo's!

At the end of the day a cruise is an individual choice about whats right for you and those who travel with you. If this line is the fit for you guys then I wish you a wonderful and enjoyable holiday.

Its not for me but if we all liked the same thing.........what would be the point.

Happy travels.

Quite a few people me included are not keen on several days getting to and from the med which eats into our holiday time. To have a british ambience eastern med cruise either means Thomsons or a very expensive trip on P&O.

Now P&O ships look really good and are obviously better than Thomsons but many would say that for standard of service, entertainment and food Thomson is at least the equal of P&O. For crews it appears that Thomsons are better. I admit I have not been on P&O yet so perhaps I might alter my opinion next year.

It has been said before that if you combined the Thomsons experience with modern ships you would blow the competitiion out of the water :)

With regards the report, wasn't great was it - although I have to say (prepare for obligatory flaming) why the heck you'd want to spend a holiday on that ship when for similar money you could do Adventure out of Malaga and from next year Liberty out of Barcelona...:confused:

Also, some people, cullinp don't want to cruise on big cruise ships - they would rather have the atmosphere & the size of a smaller ship. I have sailed with P&O which was all very nice but I have to say Thomson for me win hands down for their service, their staff, their entertainment and the atmosphere onboard. I personally would also hate to sail on a ship with ice rinks, boxing rings, climbing walls, waterparks & an extra 1500+ passengers!!! Like you say, it's just as well we don't all like the same thing :)

I have never cruised on Thomsons before. I have mainly travelled with P&O, RCI and Fred Olsen. However many people love Thomsons. I can't form a personal opinion about them unless I have cruised with them.

I have to say I am dissappointed by what I learn't on Watchdog and other threads on CC but am of the understanding the problems mentioned are now rectified. So I will find out in a few weeks.

Hi cullinp,

I respect the fact you visit this site and express your opinions. Your latest response indicates that your interest was to find out how we (Thomson cruisers) had responded to the Watch Dog programme.

To me, it was the way your original post here was phrased which was unfortunate. This may not have been your intention at all (from what you have subsequently posted) but when reading it I felt that you were more or less inferring that Thomson cruisers were pretty stupid to be parting with good money when they could be enjoying RCL or other cruise lines.

Well, it’s clear that there are very many Thomson cruisers who do rate the Thomson product (perhaps not the ships) such that they are repeat customers.

So, if you had a genuine interest in understanding why Thomson cruisers part with their hard earned money (the equivalent of which could buy them a cruise on other cruise lines) surely the question should have been more in line with: ‘Given that Thomson ships are so old, what is it about the Thomson product which persuades you guys to sail with them?’

Then I think you would have got replies which tried to explain to you the factors which do appeal. As with everything else in life, we make compromises and the older ships are the price we pay for the atmosphere, ambience, service, hygiene, entertainment, port intensive itineraries, fly-cruise options and friendliness of Thomson ships.

(I leave the Dream issue out of this as it’s a red herring in the context of my post and IMO not typical of my Thomson experiences. Hygiene is generally top-notch – unlike the P&O ship I visited recently for a tour and lunch and never once was offered hand-sanitation!!:eek:)

I notice your experience of cruise-lines is limited – you have found a product you like and stick with it. I’ve been on an all-singing, all-dancing new ship which clearly was ‘better’ appointed than the Thomson ships but in all other respects we felt things were inferior to Thomson – for the things which matter to us. And as you say we are all different but we make these choices not because we’re stupid, ill-informed or inexperienced travellers.

I feel sure that you had no intention of inferring that was the case, but it came over a bit like that to me – and that you were feeling a little superior in having been wise enough to travel with someone else. Hence the reaction.

We are actually a very friendly bunch on here and accept all shades of opinion without flaming (well, almost always until someone is really insulting!!) and I’m sure your post was motivated by genuine interest - it’s just a pity that the original post didn’t come over like that.

Anyway, air cleared for me – hope you can see where I’m coming from and no hard feelings! Enjoy your future cruising. :)

Hi cullinp,

I respect the fact you visit this site and express your opinions. Your latest response indicates that your interest was to find out how we (Thomson cruisers) had responded to the Watch Dog programme and did say you had a wider agenda in asking your question.

To me, it was the way your original post here was phrased which was unfortunate. This may not have been your intention at all (from what you have subsequently posted) but when reading it I felt that you were more or less inferring that Thomson cruisers were pretty stupid to be parting with good money when they could be enjoying RCL or other cruise lines.

Well, it’s clear that there are very many Thomson cruisers who do rate the Thomson product (perhaps not the ships) such that they are repeat customers.

So, if you had a genuine interest in understanding why Thomson cruisers part with their hard earned money (the equivalent of which could buy them a cruise on other cruise lines) surely the question should have been more in line with: ‘Given that Thomson ships are so old, what is it about the Thomson product which persuades you guys to sail with them?’

Then I think you would have got replies which tried to explain to you the factors which do appeal. As with everything else in life, we make compromises and the older ships are the price we pay for the atmosphere, ambience, service, hygiene, entertainment, port intensive itineraries, fly-cruise options and friendliness of Thomson ships.

(I leave the Dream issue out of this as it’s a red herring in the context of my post and IMO not typical of my Thomson experiences. Hygiene is generally top-notch – unlike the P&O ship I visited recently for a tour and lunch and never once was offered hand-sanitation!!:eek:)

I notice your experience of cruise-lines is limited – you have found a product you like and stick with it. I’ve been on an all-singing, all-dancing new ship which clearly was ‘better’ appointed than the Thomson ships but in all other respects we felt things were inferior to Thomson – for the things which matter to us. And as you say we are all different but we make these choices not because we’re stupid, ill-informed or inexperienced travellers.

I feel sure that you had no intention of inferring that was the case, but it came over a bit like that to me – and that you were feeling a little superior in having been wise enough to travel with someone else. Hence the reaction.

We are actually a very friendly bunch on here and accept all shades of opinion without flaming (well, almost always until someone is really insulting!!) and I’m sure your post was motivated by genuine interest - it’s just a pity that the original post didn’t come over like that.

Anyway, air cleared for me – hope you can see where I’m coming from and no hard feelings! Enjoy your future cruising. :)

Happy travels.

That post was not directed at you but UK Cruiser , who offered no constructive criticism but feels the need to trawl a Thomson Forum to put in stupid comments such as "1 star blackpool cruise" etc......so no offence meant bu tit was not directed at you.

Hi cullinp,

I respect the fact you visit this site and express your opinions. Your latest response indicates that your interest was to find out how we (Thomson cruisers) had responded to the Watch Dog programme.

Hi there Kruz.

Good enough for me also, I'm a big lad and can take it as well as dish it out, can't really argue with your post to be honest.

Enjoy your travels.....I'm off to the other board again to see if I can start an argument with an American about tipping!! ;) (joke)

That post was not directed at you but UK Cruiser , who offered no constructive criticism but feels the need to trawl a Thomson Forum to put in stupid comments such as "1 star blackpool cruise" etc......so no offence meant bu tit was not directed at you.

No problem at all, my fault for not reading your post correctly. Thanks for taking the time to clarify. :o

what I found the most telling about that feature on Watchdog? that 94% of passengers on board filled in their feedback forms to say they had enjoyed their holiday and were happy with their cruise. Now even without problems of sewage and broken air con - you are going to get a percentage of passengers who moan for the sake of moaning - so 6% unhappy is really pretty good considering the issues Dream was having at the time - and is a credit to the people who sail with Thomsons, and the way staff on board deal with the issues thats ONLY 6% were unhappy.

Im not sure how long Stephen Guy will remain a Cruise Director after that though! :o :o oops!! was hoping he would still be on board next April as he's from my neck of the woods and I have heard such glowing reviews of him and his team!

I have every confidence that Dream will be fab when we sail in April next year :)

What the Thomson statement said was that 94% of the customer satisfaction forms completed had given positive feedback, not that 94% of passengers had completed them.

But having said that I have had a chat with the Thomson reps and I am confident things are OK now.

Incorrect - its a forum, a place for criticism and praise alike.

But criticism and praise can only really be taken seriously from posters who have experienced the ship/cruiseline first hand, or have had relatives or close friends experience something (and not just trot out "a bloke down the pub" made up story/ urban myth) good or bad. The only posts that should be taken seriously from newbies to a line are questions. You tend to find that anything else is an ego boost from an uninspiring individual puffed up on their own importance.

But criticism and praise can only really be taken seriously from posters who have experienced the ship/cruiseline first hand, or have had relatives or close friends experience something (and not just trot out "a bloke down the pub" made up story/ urban myth) good or bad. The only posts that should be taken seriously from newbies to a line are questions. You tend to find that anything else is an ego boost from an uninspiring individual puffed up on their own importance.

So your point in summation is that you can't/shouldn't post on this forum unless you have first hand experience or your Aunt Maureen has been recently and showed you her holiday snaps? Unless its to ask whether there is a midnight buffet or not?

My apologies, we will have to agree to disagree on your interpretation of this forum's purpose and the rules by which you imply "newbies" should follow.

I would dare suggest that a BBC Watchdog segment clearly showing the ship in a poor state, coupled by some CC research granting first hand reviews of fellow members experiences on board, in addition to forum threads on the topic offering further insight, topped off with video reviews on Youtube would surely empower that individual the platform to discuss the issue on the same level as Aunt Maureen's Nephew??!

So your point in summation is that you can't/shouldn't post on this forum unless you have first hand experience or your Aunt Maureen has been recently and showed you her holiday snaps? Unless its to ask whether there is a midnight buffet or not?

My apologies, we will have to agree to disagree on your interpretation of this forum's purpose and the rules by which you imply "newbies" should follow.

I would dare suggest that a BBC Watchdog segment clearly showing the ship in a poor state, coupled by some CC research granting first hand reviews of fellow members experiences on board, in addition to forum threads on the topic offering further insight, topped off with video reviews on Youtube would surely empower that individual the platform to discuss the issue on the same level as Aunt Maureen's Nephew??!

My interpretation of forums is to get advice off people who've experienced first hand ships, lines and ports of call.

I have been to my local Thomson's shop today. They advised me that the undercover report took place in May, just after the initial problems. It's a pity Watchdog did not state this when they filmed it. Just goes to go what shoddy reporting it is.

Anyway I have been assured that the ship no longer suffers from the sewer problems as identified. They admitted that a bigger refurbishment was expected but this was not done and the blame has been put down to the time being used to repair the ship after the crash in Egypt. They said that Costa were aware of the sewage problems but due to lack of time it had following the crash repairs it did not resolve the problems and left it to Thomsons.

More refurbishment will be done when the ship goes into dry dock before going to the Caribbean.

I think you'll find it was filmed in July. If you look closely, at one point they have strategically placed a cruise newsletter on a toilet that clearly shows the date.

Archived