food for thought

dewong2008

I was at the dentist today and they had the best saying on the wall. Something that I think is worth remembering.

"We can't change the direction of the wind, but we can change the direction of our sails"

Great quote for a cruise board....take from it what you will. I am sure everyone will read it a different way, but I thought it would be great to remember this if something goes wrong or someone starts to annoy me on my vacation...I will just "change the direction of my sails" whether that refers to how I deal with something or someone doesn't matter. I will just try and remember that I can only change myself to make the situation better.

I was at the dentist today and they had the best saying on the wall. Something that I think is worth remembering.

"We can't change the direction of the wind, but we can change the direction of our sails"

Great quote for a cruise board....take from it what you will. I am sure everyone will read it a different way, but I thought it would be great to remember this if something goes wrong or someone starts to annoy me on my vacation...I will just "change the direction of my sails" whether that refers to how I deal with something or someone doesn't matter. I will just try and remember that I can only change myself to make the situation better.

Yes! We can "tack" away from the Tactless! :D

Love the quote, dewong2008. I'll do my best to remember that one, as well. And you're right - perfect for us "cruise-minded" folk! :)

I was so surprised when I saw it on the wall. I just had to post it here because there is no more appropriate place for it.

D

I knew I had read that quote before and googled it to find:

“I can’t change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.” – Jimmy Dean

It's been credited to him but I also found references to the quote which said "author unknown".

In any case, it's a great quote.

Thanks.

I hope I am reading this correctly....tack is a sailing term for changing the direction of the sail....correct? Cute response by the way.

Tacking is sailing "into the wind" - usually on an angle as opposed to "downwind". You can sail in a straight line downwind but you have to zigzag to sail into the wind - so you have to change the set of the sail periodically in order to get from one point to another.

Tacking is sailing "into the wind" - usually on an angle as opposed to "downwind". You can sail in a straight line downwind but you have to zigzag to sail into the wind - so you have to change the set of the sail periodically in order to get from one point to another.

Thank you for the explanation - I knew it was a sailing term, but not what it meant :)

D.

Archived