First cruise on Hal, make me dream !!

ivopera

After several cruises on Costa (long long time ago) then Celebrity which I liked a lot, Princess, Regent, Azamara, I have booked my first cruise on Hal in April (Panama Canal) on the Westerdam. How is this ship compared to other HAL ships, is it a nice one ? what are the great things aboard or important facts to know ? Make me dream and reassure me : did I make the right choice ?

I am French, 35 (but with my wife, children and parents of 65). I love being at sea, do not care if the average age is 60, do not care about animation but like to feel some space around me (Costa on this point was awful, Celebrity quite nice except in the pool areas, Princess too crowdy, Azamara and Regent were nice but the ships a bit small for me as I like having the choice between lot of different areas, atmosphere... I like also good dining even if I do not expect Alain Ducasse on a cruise ship :)Waiting for your comments.

After several cruises on Costa (long long time ago) then Celebrity which I liked a lot, Princess, Regent, Azamara, I have booked my first cruise on Hal in April (Panama Canal) on the Westerdam. How is this ship compared to other HAL ships, is it a nice one ? what are the great things aboard or important facts to know ? Make me dream and reassure me : did I make the right choice ?

I am French, 35 (but with my wife, children and parents of 65). I love being at sea, do not care if the average age is 60, do not care about animation but like to feel some space around me (Costa on this point was awful, Celebrity quite nice except in the pool areas, Princess too crowdy, Azamara and Regent were nice but the ships a bit small for me as I like having the choice between lot of different areas, atmosphere... I like also good dining even if I do not expect Alain Ducasse on a cruise ship :)Waiting for your comments.

Check out the Westerdam photos and descriptions from Fellow Cruise Critic Members, including myself. I Love the ship!!! http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Westerdam/index.html

Joanie

We loved the Westerdam!! The only time we felt crowded was the first day in the lido before our rooms were available. Once we were able to all spread out it was hard to believe there were almost 2,000 passengers on the ship.

I loved the food..the only weakness was the desserts. There were a couple of days where nothing sounded great but then there were others when it was hard to decide.

I still remember just before my very first cruise a fellow passenger said to me, "Get ready to be pampered.". She is right the service is amazing and it was always with a smile.

I hope you have the same great experience we had. Our in-laws took their first cruise with us on the Westerdam and they are officially hooked.

You wanna dream? Go to YouTube and type in Westerdam. You'll be drooling in short order as you click through the selections, I promise you.

If you booked through a traditional TA, the agency probably has a HAL DVD. Our TA gave us one that I play constantly. Talk about dreaming. . .it's wonderful to realize in a few short months, that's gonna be us!

You'll discover the same anticipation building as your cruise gets closer. HAL also has some short clips on their website.

Here's to dreams & anticipation. You should have a lovely cruise. You've picked a great ship.

I was only on this ship once but I liked it very much. I have a personal preference for the "R" Class ships but I have been on three of the Vista Class and I thought this one was the nicest. (I have not been on the Noordam yet but the reviews are very good.) I think you have chosen a good ship and have a delightful cruise.

Thank you for this answer. I so much look forward to it !!

Me too!! I also have done other lines and just booked our 1st HAL cruise for Mother's day with my mom...I can't wait and think she will like it since it seems a bit more mature...;)

Archived