What's open/closed on Good Friday?

amapola

We're stopping in St. Maarten on Good Friday (March 25) and I wonder what will be open that day. I did a search here and could only find one reference and it did say stores were closed. Is that on both sides of the Island? :eek: This is the island we are MOST looking forward to visiting (and we don't go to the beach, so that's not going to be an option for us).

Any experiences and info will be very welcome!

A little OT anecdote: The first year I lived in the US, on Tuesday of Holy Week I told my boss "So on Friday I'm planning to do this and that and go here and there (whatever, don't remember)..." He stared at me like I had lost my mind and asked "You're not coming to work tomorrow?" (I had a perfect attendance record to date) and I said "Of course not, it's Good Friday" and he, still staring in total incomprehension, said "And?" And I said "Oh, you mean we don't get GF off?" LOL Culture shock for sure!! And needless to say, I was at work at 9 the next morning. ;)

You're going to start thinking I keep looking for your posts.. I'm really not :p.

I would think somewhere on St. Maarten there's gotta be a good Fish Fry for Good Friday. Additionally, I would be disappointed if I couldn't go see the Guavaberry Emporium due to it being closed. It's another water taxi ride to get over to where it is. They've got some pretty good hot sauces and liquer there.

Although I know you don't want to do the beach thing, the beaches right near where the ship docks are beautiful and one has to at least take a walk in it with their shoes off.

~Paul

You're going to start thinking I keep looking for your posts.. I'm really not :p.

My DH is starting to wonder... :D :D :D

Thanks for the tip on the Guavaberry place. Sounds delish! I think I'll email them and ask if they'll be open. And we might be forced to try out the beach after all... I actually like the beach, but DH is terribly sun-sensitive, so we normally only go to the beach after 4 pm, which is not an option on a cruise. Maybe we can go first thing in the morning for an hour or so.

Gracias! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived