Carthage & Sidi Bou Said Vs. Medina/Souks

Ashlm85

We are finishing up some details for our upcoming cruise in few weeks. We will have one day in La Goulette. Currently, I have the Carthage/Sidi Bou Said tour booked. I am excited about this, but feel like I'm missing out on seeing the Souks in Medina. It seems like such an experience! I love other cultures and am not nervous about haggling, etc.

However, I have been reading that they usually close around 2pm. However, our ship tour starts around 2 as we are not docking until 1pm. Has anyone experienced the Souks? Could you tell me if this closing time is correct? Also, what would you suggest for a tour...Carthage or the Souks.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions!

Thanks!

PS... I posted this on two boards because I wasn't sure which one would be better. I hope that's ok :)

Our cruise stopped in Tunis on a Sunday during Ramadan a couple of years ago. The Mdina was largely deserted except for customers from the cruise ships in port.

However, the modern business center was teeming with shoppers and there was an area several blocks, 10 or so, before arriving from the port at the souk area that was jammed with local shoppers with tables and stalls with clothing, food, etc. set up in the narrow streets and alleys that led off from a square. If you are on a private tour or using a taxi, as opposed to a ship's tour, you might do Carthage/ Sidi and then see if your driver can take you to this area. It looked more interesting than the souk, actually, although I doubt if it has the tourist trinket items you will find in the Mdina..

We did an all day ships tour that went to the Mdina, the Bardo Museum, Carthage and Sidi Bou Said. Part of what was interesting was seeing the city in between these various spots, eg a townhouse development that looks like those in my town. If you're looking for advice on prioritization, the souk was interesting and very characteristic of Tunis, although they sold nothing that I was tempted to buy. If you go on a tour, you will be taken to a carpet seller who has a second floor terrace with a view of Tunis.

Ruins at Carthage are Roman, and in not very great shape, although we only saw the baths. The town itself is a wealthy suburb of Tunis (the President lives there), and that was also of some interest, but I would prioritize it lower than the souk or Sidi Bou Said. The latter town can be picturesque once you have run the gauntlet of shops along the hill leading into the town, which reminded us of Tijuana. Past the last cafe (on a little plaza at the top of the hill), you can wander a little further and see the town and some views of the Med without being harassed by merchants desperate for your currency.

My best memory is of the Bardo Museum, but I understand from other postings on this board that it is now closed for renovations.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. We have decided to do the Souks/Medina. I hope I'm not going to regret not going to Carthage. However, I feel like because we are going to Rome as well, I wanted to see something different.

If anyone has recently been to the Souk in the afternoon, do you know how busy it is? I have a worry that it will be closed.

We are doing the ship's tour. I don't think it will be as good as hiring a driver or going on our own, but after planning a two week trip, I kind of just want to have someone else take me around for a day. Do you know if the Princess tour, makes you go to the carpet demo? That sounds very touristy :)

Any tips would be very appreciated!

Archived