Serenade of Seas San Juan Question

RWKY

We only had the option of booking a return Delta ticket leaving at 8:45 a.m. when we return on SOS on 24-October - we've cruise from San Juan several times - but can't remember how fast we can get off ship. Says we arrive at 7 a.m. If we get off ship first, given early flight, what is earliest you can remember them starting disembarkation (customs)? THANKS in advance.

Also interested if anyone has any good tips for Aruba and Dominica....

THANKS!

No way you're making an 8:45 am flight out of SJU on day of cruise. If that's the only flight time you can get, then book it for the next day.

Arrival time does not necessarily mean the time that the ship starts letting people off the ship. Delta requires that you be checked in at least 45 minutes before your flight at SJU (bringing your time line back to 8am). The airport is at least 15-20 minutes away from the pier. So now 7:40am. You'll have to go through the USDA inspection at the airport (even assuming it goes quickly you're now back at 7:35am).

Our ship arrival time for the SOS in San Juan on 11/14 is 6am. We have a 9:45am flight out and I know we're "at the edge", with 3 3/4 hours. I can't imagine 1 1/2 hours, doesn't it usually take about an hour to clear customs and begin disembarkation?

Also, I was rather surprised when I went in to put in all of our info for our Setsail pass, it wouldn't let me put in a flight time before 11am, as that's the earliest time they "recommend" a flight. So I put 11am, but I'll be letting them know that we need to be off ASAP.

Any time before 10 am is risky. We arrived at 6 am, but the ship didn't clear customs until 7:30. We stayed the extra day so we were not in a hurry. We checked into the Embassy Suites and later met a couple at dinner that night who missed their flight that morning. They had a 10:20 am flight and missed it by about 10 minutes. They were one of the first off the ship and got caught up in the crowd at the airport.

If you can't change your flight time (which may be entirely true - to make connections to get home) and you don't have the option to spend a night in SJ, just make sure you self-porter your bags off the ship and inform your steward, the purser and anyone else who will listen *wink* that you have to be "first off" the ship once it clears customs.

Grab a cab and you will be at the airport in 10-15 minutes.

Good luck!

We only had the option of booking a return Delta ticket leaving at 8:45 a.m. when we return on SOS on 24-October - we've cruise from San Juan several times - but can't remember how fast we can get off ship. Says we arrive at 7 a.m. If we get off ship first, given early flight, what is earliest you can remember them starting disembarkation (customs)? THANKS in advance.

Also interested if anyone has any good tips for Aruba and Dominica....

THANKS!

We've sailed into SJU several times. 0845 departure. Be prepares for change fees.

Lets say everything goes well and they start disembarking at 7AM. Carrying off your own luggage figure at least 20 minutes to get through customs and at least 10 minutes to get into the taxi and get moving. It is now 7:30. Depending on traffic it will take a minimum of 20-25 minutes to get to the airport. It is now 8AM. Now plan on a minimum of 30-45 minutes to check your luggage and get through security. I have been to this airport several times and they can be notoriously slow. It is now 8:30-8:45. Your plane is either already boarding and if you run really fast you catch it or you get to watch it take off.

Sorry, I am usually very optimistic about things going well and making flights. But I truly don't think that you have a snowballs chance in Barbados of making this flight. You are just asking for a very stressful ending to your vacation.

Having sailed in and out of Puerto Rico several times, as a matter of fact we are here now for a B2B on the Serenade, I wiuld say "no way in he** that you will make that flight." Even if all of the stars were aligned, remember, your luggage must be checked in at least 30 mins before the flight leaves, thank Homeland Security for that, oir they will nnot accept it. Good luck, but I think you need to plan on a later flight ir an overnight stay. Enjoy your cruise............

Even if all of the stars were aligned, remember, your luggage must be checked in at least 30 mins before the flight leaves,

Actually for Delta in San Juan it's 45 minutes prior and it is a strict cut off. The computer won't let the agents bypass it to check someone in that arrives late. https://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/itineraries_checkin/requirements/index.jsp

Archived