A Breakdown of Eating at Specialty Restaurants

Poorplaya

OK so my wife and I are traveling on our first Royal Caribbean Cruise, and are considering trying one of the specialty restaurants on board. My question is I do not know exactly how they work.

I am hearing it's $20.00/person for Portofino's and $25.00/person for Chops??? Am I correct?? If so what does that include??? If i'm not correct can someone let me know how they properly work. Thanks for the help.

I believe the prices are correct. I've only dined at Chops.

The price includes:

water (like many restaurants they will try to upsell you on sparkling bottled water), tea, regular coffee;

appetizers (multiple if you like but I wouldn't recommend);

soup or salad (same as with appetizers);

choice of vegetables and side dishes;

an entree of your choice from the menu;

desserts (if there is still room);

according to RCCL - gratuity is included.

Bar service is available same as the dining room.

Hope this helps. I think I just saw on the board a topic on menus for Portofino and Chops.

Yeah I saw the menus and that was what sparked me to ask this becuase I never knew how it all works. Thanks for the information, I think my wife and I will probably book a night at Chops. Thats really not bad for $25.00/person though to include all of that?? Thanks again for the info.

I hate to be bearer of bad news, but Mariner class ships do not have Chops restaurants. So, you will be limited to Portofinos.

From what I have read, Portofinos is a good option.

Have a good cruise.

I could have sworn The Mariner of the Seas had a Chops, oh well Portofino's it is.

OK so my wife and I are traveling on our first Royal Caribbean Cruise, and are considering trying one of the specialty restaurants on board. My question is I do not know exactly how they work.

I am hearing it's $20.00/person for Portofino's and $25.00/person for Chops??? Am I correct?? If so what does that include??? If i'm not correct can someone let me know how they properly work. Thanks for the help.

We went to Portofino on IOS and the experience was more intimate than the main dining room, the food was freshly prepared and very delicious! Well worth the supp.

I hate to be bearer of bad news, but Mariner class ships do not have Chops restaurants. So, you will be limited to Portofinos.

Have a good cruise.

The Mariner is a Voyager Class ship.................

I could have sworn The Mariner of the Seas had a Chops, oh well Portofino's it is.

According to the RCI website, Mariner only has Portofino. We've dined at both & enjoy the food & the service tremendously. If you were thinking of Chops for the steak, Portofino serves one that's as good if not better.

Enjoy!

Portofino's is great - you won't be disappointed.

Oh, and the service in the specialty restaurants is fantastic, so we've always tipped in addition to the charge.

Great, thanks for the information, I am always game for Good Italian food so this shouldn't be a problem for me. Now my wife, she will be about 22 weeks pregnant while onboard so, she might not feel like Italian food, guess we'll just have to wait and see when we sit in the restaurant, lol. :D

Have a good cruise.

I don't know where you got your information but Mariner has both Portofino's and Chops. I was on there 3 years ago and ate at both restaurants. I think most class of RCI ships have both.

Just want to add something I appreciate; if you have a wine pkg, they will bring it from wherever they keep your wines. Nice to know you don't have to buy another bottle IF you don't want to.

PS: love Portofino's. I can get a great steak here at home. My personal opinion, naturally.

I don't know where you got your information but Mariner has both Portofino's and Chops. I was on there 3 years ago and ate at both restaurants. I think most class of RCI ships have both.

There are 5 Voyager class ships. Voyager, Explorer and Adventurer only have Portofino. Mariner and Navigator, the last two in the class have both Chops and Portofino.

Thank you both, I could have sworn someone had told me they have both restaurants, at least now I might have to try both just to say I tried them. Thanks again everyone for helping me out here. I appreciate it. :)

Just found a compass from someone's cruise on the Mariner a few weeks ago, it listed both restaurants onboard. I guess I can make reservations on board too which is great, maybe I might hold off making them now incase the wife has a change of heart on where she would like to eat then, lol.

Mariner of the Seas has a Chops. Someone has bad info.

Here are details:

Dinner at CHOPS - CHOPDINNER

Menu

Menus change daily and can vary from ship to ship. We also modify dishes seasonally to use the freshest ingredients available. Chops Grille proudly features Seattle's Best Coffee

Fresh Roasted Blends and Specialty Beverages, served at current bar menu prices.

Where You'll Find It Chops Grille is featured on our Radiance class ships, Freedom class ships, Mariner of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas, Navigator of the Seas,

Oasis of the Seas, and Allure of the Seas.

Dress Suggestion We suggest smart casual attire in Chops Grille - jackets for men, dresses or pantsuits for women. On formal evenings onboard, formal attire is also

appropriate in the restaurant; which includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women.

Serving

Dinner: 6:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m. Please note: Opening and closing times vary by ship.

Reservations

All guests over the age of 13 are welcome and reservations are recommended; please allow two hours for dining. For children under 13 years of age, reservations need to

be made before 7:00 PM. To make a reservation, use the main menu screen on the TV* in your stateroom or call the restaurant directly. Telephone numbers

can be found in your stateroom. Cancellations with less than 24 hours notice will be charged a minimum of $10 USD.

Costs

A nominal fee of $25 USD applies per dining guest, including gratuities. Specialty beverages, beer, wine and soda are offered at current bar menu prices.

Mariner of the Seas has a Chops. Someone has bad info.

Here are details:

Dinner at CHOPS - CHOPDINNER

Menu

Menus change daily and can vary from ship to ship. We also modify dishes seasonally to use the freshest ingredients available. Chops Grille proudly features Seattle's Best Coffee

Fresh Roasted Blends and Specialty Beverages, served at current bar menu prices.

Where You'll Find It Chops Grille is featured on our Radiance class ships, Freedom class ships, Mariner of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas, Navigator of the Seas,

Oasis of the Seas, and Allure of the Seas.

Dress Suggestion We suggest smart casual attire in Chops Grille - jackets for men, dresses or pantsuits for women. On formal evenings onboard, formal attire is also

appropriate in the restaurant; which includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women.

Serving

Dinner: 6:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m. Please note: Opening and closing times vary by ship.

Reservations

All guests over the age of 13 are welcome and reservations are recommended; please allow two hours for dining. For children under 13 years of age, reservations need to

be made before 7:00 PM. To make a reservation, use the main menu screen on the TV* in your stateroom or call the restaurant directly. Telephone numbers

can be found in your stateroom. Cancellations with less than 24 hours notice will be charged a minimum of $10 USD.

Costs

A nominal fee of $25 USD applies per dining guest, including gratuities. Specialty beverages, beer, wine and soda are offered at current bar menu prices.

Wow thanks for the research and the great breakdown of everything, I really appreciate it.

Wow thanks for the research and the great breakdown of everything, I really appreciate it.

Not a problem.

Log on to RCCL & navigate to your Pre-cruise planner.

From there you can add Specialty Restaurants, Wine/Beverage pkgs, Excursions etc.

Plus lots of other info. :)

Not a problem.

Log on to RCCL & navigate to your Pre-cruise planner.

From there you can add Specialty Restaurants, Wine/Beverage pkgs, Excursions etc.

Plus lots of other info. :)

I will definitely take a look at that, never even knew it was there.

Why is there a price difference between Chops and Portofino?

Now Smart Casual means 'Jackets for men?'

My guess is because steak costs significantly more than pasta. My DH has never worn a jacket in either restaurant. He's worn a silk aloha shirt and dockers slacks.

Now... Those of you ordering multiple appies, soups, salads etc... Where the heck do you put it??!? We ordered one appetizer, one entree and one dessert apiece and shared a bottle of wine. And we waddled out of there!

Archived