Marmaris port

Hi can any one tell us is it near the town,ie walkable as we have a good few hours on board till we sail :):)

Yes it is! And it's lovely!!! You have to walk through the very up-market Marina after leaving the port but then you are straight into waterfront cafes, gulets and loads of atmosphere. Entrances to the Bazaar are just at the base of the Castle - so very accessible form the ship. The only problem is that you come round in almost a complete circle from the ship's berth and can see Celebration about 100m from the quayside but you've walked best part of a mile to get to that point. It's a lovely walk though and well worth doing if you arrive early enough. We had a middle day there on our b2b and went off after our evening meal and found it great. We love Marmaris.

Hi can any one tell us is it near the town,ie walkable as we have a good few hours on board till we sail :):)

Hi gosport as Kruzseeka said it's prob about a mile walk but it is well worth it we arrived about 17:00 as sailaway was 22:00 and it takes a few hours to get the cases to the cabin we decided to have walk and stretch our legs after long flight and transfer.

We had the most amazing week on the Celebration and hope you do as well it's a great ship and the staff can't do enough for you. Have a fab time :D

we don't land til 7.15 so we won't have time to go round the town :(

We did Marmaris when we returned. We weren't leaving the ship until 13.30pm so we had a good walk round and it's best in the morning as it's not woken up yet. Proably about a 15 minute walk going out of the port then cutting back through the dock. Cafes and such like en-route.:)

I take it you mean 19.15. You won't have time, it took us an hour to get our luggage then well over an hour and a half to get to Marmaris from Dalman. Then getting checked in takes a while unless you're quick on your feet and off the coach, grab your luggage and shove your way to the front, lol.

Jan

We went for a meal at a restaurant in the marina on our first evening which was great.

Just be aware that although our "back on board" time was 23:00, the marina gates were locked at 22:30 with us on the wrong side...I had to phone the ship (number is on your cruise card) and they had to get someone from the port authorities to come and unlock the gate for us...not the best start to a cruise!!!

Carol x

I have just returned from a cruise on the Spirit, Marmaris was a port of call , not the point from which the cruise started. I mention this because had the situation been different, perhaps we would feel differently.

Our ship docked early in the morning and left in the late afternoon. We found the whole day to be a waste of time. We ventured out with all the enthusiasm of a new traveller. The walk around the marina into town was interesting, how much money must these people have? The wall to wall to wall and yet more walls of cafe's does not add anything to the culture of the town. There are more shops than you can shake a stick at, an experience in itself. We ventured into one spice shop where the keeper was keen to show us his goods. The smells were lovely. I will never forget looking on the shelf and viewing some glass containers containing some herbs when I spotted something moving inside one of them ... let's just say that it came as a surprise.

As Marmaris is the point to which your cruise starts you will find enough to keep you occupied for a few hours. It wasn't our cup of tea.

I have just returned from a cruise on the Spirit, Marmaris was a port of call , not the point from which the cruise started. I mention this because had the situation been different, perhaps we would feel differently.

Our ship docked early in the morning and left in the late afternoon. We found the whole day to be a waste of time. We ventured out with all the enthusiasm of a new traveller. The walk around the marina into town was interesting, how much money must these people have? The wall to wall to wall and yet more walls of cafe's does not add anything to the culture of the town. There are more shops than you can shake a stick at, an experience in itself. We ventured into one spice shop where the keeper was keen to show us his goods. The smells were lovely. I will never forget looking on the shelf and viewing some glass containers containing some herbs when I spotted something moving inside one of them ... let's just say that it came as a surprise.

As Marmaris is the point to which your cruise starts you will find enough to keep you occupied for a few hours. It wasn't our cup of tea.

Shame you didn't do a trip, Tina - we had the most amazing day from the Spirit on the Jeep Safari - saw parts of "real" (not touristy!) Turkey. Driving back through Marmaris, we are so glad we didn't just wander into the town - it was far too big and spoilt for us!

We did Marmaris when we returned. We weren't leaving the ship until 13.30pm so we had a good walk round and it's best in the morning as it's not woken up yet. Proably about a 15 minute walk going out of the port then cutting back through the dock. Cafes and such like en-route.:)

I take it you mean 19.15. sorry yes or 7.15 pm not am You won't have time, it took us an hour to get our luggage then well over an hour and a half to get to Marmaris from Dalman. Then getting checked in takes a while unless you're quick on your feet and off the coach, grab your luggage and shove your way to the front, lol.

Jan

I wanted to catch the earlier flight from Doncaster but DH wanted East Midland airport because it is a lot nearer. My trying to say we get an extra days holiday didn't make any difference

Shame you didn't do a trip, Tina - we had the most amazing day from the Spirit on the Jeep Safari - saw parts of "real" (not touristy!) Turkey. Driving back through Marmaris, we are so glad we didn't just wander into the town - it was far too big and spoilt for us!

Funny you should say that. Hubby & I said the same thing. We will know next time :)

We went for a meal at a restaurant in the marina on our first evening which was great.

Just be aware that although our "back on board" time was 23:00, the marina gates were locked at 22:30 with us on the wrong side...I had to phone the ship (number is on your cruise card) and they had to get someone from the port authorities to come and unlock the gate for us...not the best start to a cruise!!!

Carol x

:eek: I would have had a panic attack big time

We caught the local bus (Dolmus) to Icmeler which cost 2TL each way. It's a pretty beach resort with very nice hotels, very clean and a good beach with umbrellas, loungers and plenty of waterfront cafes etc. It's a good option for a beach day if that appeals to you. In fact of all the places we visited on the B-2-b it was by far the best beach and with facilites we saw.

We caught the local bus (Dolmus) to Icmeler which cost 2TL each way. It's a pretty beach resort with very nice hotels, very clean and a good beach with umbrellas, loungers and plenty of waterfront cafes etc. It's a good option for a beach day if that appeals to you. In fact of all the places we visited on the B-2-b it was by far the best beach and with facilites we saw.

If you catch a Dolmus remember what colour the big stripe around the middle of the bus is. There are thousands of them and it's really confusing, we went into Marmaris from our stay hotel and couldn't remember where it stopped when we went back.:eek::eek:

Jan

If you catch a Dolmus remember what colour the big stripe around the middle of the bus is. There are thousands of them and it's really confusing, we went into Marmaris from our stay hotel and couldn't remember where it stopped when we went back.:eek::eek:

Jan

Funny you should say that, Jan! We thought we'd done well to find a stop and on the right side of the road (we hoped) but were then hopelessly confused by the colours! We asked a young man who was also waiting at the stop and he was lovely - he said we needed a pink stripe bus and then said 'Here's one coming - I will help you' and did no more than hail the bus and more or less put us on it. He was going somewhere esle so didn't get on. You can imagine our relief when we did actually end up in Icmeler given that the bus had an orange stripe!!! :eek:

But I must say we found the locals very helpful and I won't forget the colour myself now after our little bit of excitement (we wondered if we were on a mystery tour!!) But you are right - you DO need to know which colour you need.

Perhaps we should have taken a photo as there were various shades of pink, blue, etc. There must be a boat that goes across to Icelmer as I've seen people mentioning it on Trip Advisor, where to find that though in the midst of all those boat trips in the harbour I have no idea. After the cruise we only went into Marmaris once as we were staying about 20 mins along the coast. Mayhem!! we only went in to get the football kits that you mentioned were in the bazaar (JJJB Sports, lol). Then we spent the rest of the week worrying that they were too small for 6 and 7 year olds.:eek::eek: Thankfully they did fit but now their parents have got wind that we are going to Kemer, Nr Antalya next week and want us to get the new kit. Aargh!!:eek: I hate buying things for people on holiday, I wouldn't mind but our son didn't even reimburse us the money, lol, they weren't supposed to be a present. cheek!!

Jan

Are you coming back in to Marmaris? If so, because of your return flight time you'll have plenty of time then to explore, then back to the ship for a big feed up before going to Dalaman. Food too expensive there so grab some cheese, rolls and cake etc. to fill the gap. Someone put a tip on one of the threads to take a lunch box with you then you won't need anything to wrap the food in, good idea. Has anyone ever wrapped a danish in a paper napkin, ooh!! lol, not nice.:):)

Jan

Are you coming back in to Marmaris? If so, because of your return flight time you'll have plenty of time then to explore, then back to the ship for a big feed up before going to Dalaman. Food too expensive there so grab some cheese, rolls and cake etc. to fill the gap. Someone put a tip on one of the threads to take a lunch box with you then you won't need anything to wrap the food in, good idea. Has anyone ever wrapped a danish in a paper napkin, ooh!! lol, not nice.:):)

Jan

Do you mean 'steal' from the ship??

Do people really do this? - I'm intrigued (and wondering whether to pack a lunch box!!)...... if so, is it something that is done openly in front of staff - or 'sneaky in the pocket'?!

Do you mean 'steal' from the ship??

Do people really do this? - I'm intrigued (and wondering whether to pack a lunch box!!)...... if so, is it something that is done openly in front of staff - or 'sneaky in the pocket'?!

No I don't mean 'steal'. When we were on a trip that lasted all day with no lunch break the staff on the excursions desk told us to take some rolls and cheese from the buffet. I asked if it was alright to do that and he said yes, nevertheless we were very discreet just in case and didn't take too much, probably best to put them in napkins then into lunchbox in the cabin. After all if we had been on the ship we would have had lunch and not being big eaters like some on the ship we didn't feel guilty at all, especially when we got back and sat next to an elderly couple who had plates each containing 6 cakes and then they went back to get 2 jam and cream scones each. This was an hour before dinner, greedy. And no, we didn't take anything to the airport but I wished that we had when we got there and saw the prices:eek:. Who doesn't do it? Michael MacIntyre was doing jokes about it recently and when we are in Turkey next week on AI we'll take sandwiches to the airport as we're not paying £15 for 2 of Thomsons disgusting meals. Club Magic are great with the AI and don't mind people taking plates of food to their rooms and even have whicker baskets all round the grounds for you to put your dirty plates in away from the wasps.:):)

Jan

Thanks Jan... never cruised before, but nice to know that no one minds if we slip a snack for later!!

Thinking about it, it would be irresponsible to take hunks of meat off ship, as we found out with the Foot and Mouth disease there might be repercussions if it was discarded outside and infected livestock. A couple of rolls and cakes won't matter, what the heck, live dangerously, lol. I mean you'd only do it if there was no alternative, like a long trip without lunch stops, as it's hardly a gourmet meal and if you're in a resort for the day you'd be in a local restaurant (perhaps not in Venice though, ker ching!!).:D:D

Jan

Archived