Question on Doges Palace Tour & Doges Palace Secret Tour

We would like to do the Secret Tour first, then do the Doges Palace regular tour right afterward. For those that have done them, must we exit the building after the Secret Tour and stand in line for the regular tour if we already have tickets for the regular tour?

I know we can book the Secret Tour ahead of time. Can we also purchase tickets for the regular Doge Palace Tour ahead of time. If so, is there a phone number or website to do that. Thanks for any info...

Sandy

when you book the secret tour it includes entrance to the palace. if you are early for your tour you can walk around and look plus you can look more after the tour on your own too. We did not have much time before our secret tour to look around but we did check things out on our own after the secret tour.

Thanks, Captain. If you look around on your own after the Secret Tour, can you go into the same rooms as if you're on a regular tour? Do you just go with the flow as if you were on the regular tour?

Sandy

A suggestion is to take your camera with you. Don't have it in a back-pack or even a purse. They made us check almost everything and then we didn't have the camera for the tour after the secret part where we were allowed to take pictures. Luckily some of our cruise critic friends had a small camera that they had in their pocket and they shared with us. My camera was too big for a pocket and I had it in my purse which they made me check.

Thanks, Captain. If you look around on your own after the Secret Tour, can you go into the same rooms as if you're on a regular tour? Do you just go with the flow as if you were on the regular tour?

Sandy

Yes you have access to all of the rooms, but if I remember correctly the other "tour" is just an audio guide, or self guided tour. You can go back to the beginning and get the audio guide after the secret itineraries tour.

BTW during busy season you need to make advance reservations at the phone number that a previous poster has listed, otherwise your chances of getting into the secret tour are slim.

We will be in Venice May 13th for 2-1/2 days. Is it necessary for us to purchase Secret Itinerary tickets ahead of time. Is there a place to order them on the internet?

Also, where do you purchase the 2 or 3 day vaparetto (Sp?) pass?

Thanks much!

We will be in Venice May 13th for 2-1/2 days. Is it necessary for us to purchase Secret Itinerary tickets ahead of time. Is there a place to order them on the internet?

Also, where do you purchase the 2 or 3 day vaparetto (Sp?) pass?

Thanks much!

If you really want to do the tour I would reserve the tickets a few days before. The phone call is pretty easy to do, I would just check the weather before you reserve. If it isnt a "have to do" thing than you can try to show up that day. (or maybe try to reserve on the first day that you are there for your last day)

You can buy vaporetto passes at any of the stops. I think there is a one day and a three day pass. (this is different than the Venice blue/orange pass)

A couple of tips - make sure that you vaildate your pass before you get on the first vaporetto (in the orange box on the dock). Also, passes are good for a true 24 hours, so if you dont start until 5pm, the pass is good until 5pm the next day. This is also true for the 3 day-72 hour pass.

I'll be back in Venice at the end of May! Cant wait!

most of the rooms on the secret tour are only accessable on the tour. you can look at the rest of the palace on your own. If I remember correctly it took about an hour for the tour. We only spent another 20 minutes or so in the palace..but we had limited time in venice.

we showed up on the day we took the tour. you go to the info desk and see if there is room. they make a reservation for you and then you go in to the ticket office and pay for it.

good info on the vapareto tickets above. sold at any ticket booth.

have a great time.

Archived