Carnival Dream--9-18-2010 Review (with pictures)

valancy1

September 21, 2010 (Belize and Cave Tubing)

Please don't flame me--I know that many of you really enjoyed cave tubing and that was the single reason I booked this cruise to do this excursion. I only want others who might have physical limitations to know what I experienced so they might think seriously about it before they book and know what they are getting into.

More to come. I have to get ready to go for my surgery, so I will probably be back with more tomorrow. I have more to share!

Thanks for your patience!

I sure hope NO ONE flames you. I, for one, am very glad you were open and honest about this. I am overweight and always wonder about the excursions. So... thank you.

Best of luck with your surgery!!!

Debra, thanks for the review! I am not planning anything on the Dream, but I love to read all of the reviews and see the pictures. Mostly I am struck with what a beautiful, FUN, close family you have. You all really seemed to enjoy the trip, and each other, and I love that.

Hey Debra!

Just wanted to jump in here and tell you that I agree the hike is more than they make it to be. I worried about you being ok with it and said as much to Jack. I did ok with my back, but the steps gave my knees fits so I can just imagine how badly your feet work hurting you. :(

I managed to get some picks up on facebook if you want to snag some. But then my internet went down (at work now) so not sure when I'll be able to get my review or more pictures up.

I'll let you know when I get my net back and we can catch up. ))hugs(( good luck with the surgery if I don't talk to you before then!

Debra, thoughts and prayers coming your way for a speedy recovery from your surgery.......you are a brave woman....a strong one as well.

We sailed Dream the week before you and your family and we cannot wait to sail her again either Eastern or Western. We love both routes.

I am loving your review with all the photos, this is the first time I did not write a review, but I have plenty of photos just click on the link in my signature.

We had a cove balcony........LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it! Would not want to sail any other way.

There are so many things we loved about the Dream and it never felt crowded either.

Hope you are back posting soon.

Susan

... got some nice shots and the people on the beaches and fishing piers were all waving to us on the starboard side:

DSC02156.jpg

DSC02158.jpg

DSC02160.jpg

DSC02159.jpg

Jetty Park! thanks for posting these. This is one of my favorite weekend hangouts to go and watch the ships come & go, but I didn't have any pics from this view. :)

Debra...enjoying your review. The pictures of your daughters and hubby hamming it up are making me laugh:) Thanks for sharing. And thanks for your honest assessment of cavetubing. It's not for everyone but you wouldn't know that until you try. Did you get any pictures of the cave tubing excursion? The caves et.al.

Looking forward to the rest of your review.

Crew

Debra,

I looked at one of your pics and saw one of the wait-staff from our Spirit Cruise last year!!!!

It is the picture from Page 2 and he is the tall waiter (head turned to the side!)... and for the life of me I can't remember his name! He mostly brought our bread and water out to us be he was excellent!!!

DSC02255.jpg

Debra,

Love love LOVE the pictures! Thank you SO much for posting so many great shots of the ship! As others have said, it's so refreshing to see what the ship actually looks like...keep posting!

You have a beautiful family. Your daughters look so fun! Like the type of girls my sisters and I would be friends with :)

Thanks also for the tips on the cave tubing. My husband and I are doing this excursion and even though we are young and in shape (we are big hikers) I like to know what I'm getting myself into! Your description gives me a much better idea of what to wear/bring with me on such an excursion. No one should flame you for being honest!

Can't wait to see more! And good luck with your surgery.

Hi Debra, Loving your review, we are on the Dream next February doing the Eastern. Just wanted to second what you've said about the cave tubing. We went with Major Tom (I think). He and his staff are terrific, I can't say enough good about them. And the whole idea is great, plenty to see and learn about the country and the caves. But it is not for anyone who has mobility issues. I broke my back and tore up my knee in a car accident a few years ago. I get around fine, just slow, and tire easily. I help everyone up and by the time you get to the caves I was beat. Now floating down the river in a tube was relaxing, but I kept wanting to sleep and not look at all the cool caves and scenery. Everyone else in our group did fine, it was just me, and only becuase of my own limitations. But the staff was great, the excursion was well run and the country is beautiful.

Thanks for your review and the photos, I can't wait to see the Dream!

Awesome review!!! Thanks for sharing, your photos are great! You have a really good eye for picture taking. Thanks for sharing the one of the BBQ... I can already taste it! LOL And of course can't wait for my Miami Vice!! Mmm...

Your daughters are so pretty! Looks like you have a wonderful family. :) Can't wait for the rest of your review.

IRON HORSE - We'll be sailing on the Dream at the same time as you. Can't wait!!!

I am so sorry you didnt enjoy the cabe tubing good luck with your surgery. Did your husband and daughters enjoy it at all? I was thinking of booking it in nov me and my husband but i am unsure. Is the ride scary..?

September 21, 2010 (Belize and Cave Tubing)

Again, pictures are forthcoming, but I want to talk about cave tubing with you.

I am, admittedly a large person. I am out of shape and fat. (I am having bariatric surgery a week from Wednesday.) I researched cave tubing over and over again.

Had anyone mentioned that this excursion was as rough as it was, I would have scheduled it for after my surgery. They try and tell you that it is a short 15-20 minute walk. Don't let them fool you. I don't know about any other excursion than the one done through cave-tubing.com. Please let me do my full explanation...

First of all, the guys on our excursion were WONDERFUL. The bus ride was fun. Myles gave a lot of history in a very fun way. We all got a tot of cashew wine (DELISH). We laughed and chair danced in the bus.

When we got off the bus, there was a changing area and a bathroom. We doused ourselves with Skin So Soft to prevent mosquitoes (but honestly, I didn't even hear any buzzing around) and we started walking.

They make you take your tubes with you. Then after about 5 minutes, you have to cross a stream that has rocks on the bottom. We all nearly lost our balance. (Note: WATER SHOES ARE REQUIRED and if you can, BUY YOUR OWN.) This was only the beginning.

Then we climbed up the opposite shore and started really walking. A couple of times we had to walk up and then down irregular stairs and through a cave (stepping down like mountain climbing might be). WITH A TUBE, mind you.

Barry, bless his heart, started carrying my tube for me. I was miserable. I have foot problems and this didn't help them. I basically should not have taken this excursion, but honestly, no one ever said how strenuous this was. TRUST ME: THIS IS STRENUOUS. If you are not in good shape, don't take this tour.

The guys on our excursion did everything they could do, but a lot of the work was up to me, and I wasn't up to it. By sheer perserverance, I continued on.

It ended up being about a 45-minute climb/hike. Don't let the word "Walk" fool you.

So we get in the tube, and I wasn't positioned correctly in the tube, so going down the river was uncomfortable. It *was* neat seeing all the formations and hearing about Mayan culture and all that, but I couldn't wait to be finished with this tour. Again, I can't speak highly enough for the people--they made sure we were safe and worked very hard.

After we got out of the tubes and had that walk back across that stream again, we got in the bus and went to their little tiki area and had lunch. Since we were late and they wanted to make sure we didn't miss our ship, we had to eat in a hurry... but it was good. That red Fanta soda I had never tasted so good!

Back to the bus and the hour trip back. This is when we paid. Because it was Independence Day, all the guys said their tips would be split in 1/2... 1/2 of their tips were going to be given to a local orphanage.

After Belize, we shopped in the shopping area a bit, but I was so tired and hot and grungy, I needed to get back to the ship to shower and relax. That shower never felt so good ;)

Please don't flame me--I know that many of you really enjoyed cave tubing and that was the single reason I booked this cruise to do this excursion. I only want others who might have physical limitations to know what I experienced so they might think seriously about it before they book and know what they are getting into.

More to come. I have to get ready to go for my surgery, so I will probably be back with more tomorrow. I have more to share!

Thanks for your patience!

I am so sorry you didnt enjoy the cabe tubing good luck with your surgery. Did your husband and daughters enjoy it at all? I was thinking of booking it in nov me and my husband but i am unsure. Is the ride scary..?

The tubing part in the river and through the caves is NOT scary at all. When we were in there, there were virtually no rapids at all. Our time in Jamaica (White River, tubing) was far more "speedy" than what we experienced in the caves.

Debra...enjoying your review. The pictures of your daughters and hubby hamming it up are making me laugh:) Thanks for sharing. And thanks for your honest assessment of cavetubing. It's not for everyone but you wouldn't know that until you try. Did you get any pictures of the cave tubing excursion? The caves et.al.

Looking forward to the rest of your review.

Crew

I did take some--they are on the disposables. I am going to try and get those developed tomorrow (later today?). I don't remember how many exactly, but I know I took some.

More soon :)

Ok, some funny photos from Cozumel... then on to Roatan in the morning!

60321_640012902174_32306014_35655237_8287377_n.jpg

60321_640012907164_32306014_35655238_6744065_n.jpg

60321_640012912154_32306014_35655239_960163_n.jpg

I danced the whole Cupid Shuffle with Chelsea... we aren't in this picture, but these are other folks doing the same thing!

60321_640012922134_32306014_35655241_7954798_n.jpg

Fat Tuesdays

60321_640012927124_32306014_35655242_6621457_n.jpg

It seemed there was a Fat Tuesdays in every port--though not sure about Costa Maya?? What a party place that is. More on that when we get to Roatan!

9/22/2010 Isla Roatan (Victor Bodden tour)

Today we woke up to beautiful pristine sky, a HOT sun and gloriously blue water. Today is Roatan day!

We moored at Mahogany Bay and Carnival, those little tricksters, engineered this so if you don't go on a Carnival tour, you pay for it buy walking up a 45-degree mountain. It is NOT a hill! LOL. Again, my tired body and very sore feet kept a'walkin'. My face is red anyway, and people get alarmed when I get hot--it's the only place I sweat, so I look like a giant beet. HA.

We made it to the area where Victor Bodden's group was hanging out. We got a driver named Al and we got into his van and started off. The van was making funny (not "ha ha" funny) noises. He took us to the highest point on Roatan to take pictures. When we got back in the van, there was no air conditioning. ACK!

Here are some pictures of this BEAUTIFUL spectacular island:

DSC02342.jpg

DSC02347.jpg

DSC02350.jpg

DSC02354.jpg

DSC02356.jpg

DSC02361.jpg

This island stole our hearts. I've heard here on CC how people love Roatan, and now I totally get it. It is now officially our favorite place that we've cruised.

So back to the car saga... Al called his brother Barnie and he came to pick us up. Al was upset because he was going to use our fee to fix his car (oops). I can honestly say that I am very glad that we were in a working vehicle and Barnie ended up being SO FUN that it all worked out in the end.

Archived