Cozumel/Playa Del Carmen in Dec/Jan, cold?

luvmytigs

We are interested in doing the cenotes, snorkeling and getting in the water. Are the water temps too cold to make it a fun time around New Years? My Dad and his wife will likely shop or tour ruins but I am taking two teenage boys. What do you thinks? Any good recommendations?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

the ocean will still be bathtub warm even in January. As for the cenotes, I've snorkeled in Dos Ojos in October and found that to be on the cool side. It's a cave so I can only imagine in the winter it'd be too cold if you just have a swimsuit.

We are interested in doing the cenotes, snorkeling and getting in the water. Are the water temps too cold to make it a fun time around New Years? My Dad and his wife will likely shop or tour ruins but I am taking two teenage boys. What do you thinks? Any good recommendations?

It will be warm unless one of the massive cold fronts drops down from the north. Last January we were in Cozumel. It dipped into the 50's several days and then bounced back up to 80. We found the water too cool to swim even on the warm days.

Archived