Oahu

dobie

Hey, Spleen, or whoever!!! We are in Oahu from 8 AM to 11 PM on Monday, March 28. Saw the memorial (kind of), we got to the museum but not out to the actual memorial cause we would miss our plane, other than that we've seen the "big city" buildings from the airport to the pier. We thought we'd take a shuttle to Diamond Head. But Spleen, if you have somebody come into town for one day, what do you tell them to do?? (When you come to Tucson I will give you a list...). We don't want to drive around and look at stuff. We like beaches, we like boats, we like to walk......we don't like to spend a lot of money...Thank you!!!

If you couldnt care less about man made things, go to Hanauma Bay for snorkling....or a whale watch or dolphin excursion. You'll enjoy some natural wonders and get to see the island from a perspective many people dont bother to try.

If I had family coming in for one day, I would say Pearl Harbor because they are into that. But it sounds like you really would like water activities. Stay out of the city....its just that, a city. Touristy stuff, high prices...lots of restaurants.

Suebee, that's what I thought, a city...and I hate cities and I hate shopping!! I know, I'm a disgrace to the female race....Do you have any favorite whale or dolphin excursions? And Hanauma Bay, we can get there by bus? I hate to rent a car in the "big city" (and I grew up near Chicago, that's probably why I hate cities!!). Thank you so much!!...when you come to Tucson I will clue you in......

dobie: Don't worry you are not alone in your female disgrace--I am a member of the same club. (This pleases DH no end. lol.)

With that much time, why not rent a car for the day? Really (this comes from another "I'm not fond of big cities" girl), once you get out of Honolulu/Waikiki, Oahu is NOT "big city." It is worth it to hit one of the highways and head out. In fact many parts of Oahu are quite beautiful. You can drive across the island to the Kailua side, stopping at the Pali lookout--it's windy, but what a view! If you are going to hike Diamond Head, go early if possible. We've not done it, but have heard that the heat can really get to you--take water no matter when you go.

You could go to the Kahala Mandarin for DolphinQuest dolphin encounter. There was a thread going about it recently. I haven't done that one, but have been to DolphinQuest on the Big Island--loved it. Warning: It is expensive. Sea Life park also has a dolphin program (I think). There are numerous whale tour boats.

With a car you can do far more of the island that without (that is with only one day; with more time, The Bus would be fine). Kailua has one of the most beautiful swimming beaches in the world, IMO. North shore surf and beaches are a site to see. (No guarantees of huge waves, but in March you have a good chance of seeing some.) You can drive around most of the island in one day and have time for several stops. Shark's Cove on the North shore has a part that is good for protected snorkeling.

If you don't want to have to rush to Pearl Harbor and if that's not your "thing," that's fine, but I have to say that I was extraorinarily moved when DH took me. I have a distant relative who was on one of the ships and who died, but I don't think that's the real reason I cried. Just standing on the Memorial and looking down; well, I'm already proud of who we are, but this should give all Americans that little "shiver" of emotion. But again, if that's not a priority, just seeing the harbor from the roadway (including the Missouri now) is still worth the stop.

Edited to add: Oops; just re-read your first post, you've already been to part of the Memorial. In that case, just get in the car and head around the island.

There is sooo much to do that I have to reiterate: Bite the bullet and rent a car. It's easy and worth it to experience Oahu outside of Honolulu/Waikiki. Let me say though that Waikiki is a fun stop. You can park (paid usually, but not always) and walk the beach, look at Diamonhead in the distance, and (my necessary favorite Waikiki event) stop at the Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai bar on the beach for, what else, a Mai Tai in their souvenier glass. Expensive, but worth it. (I even did this at 10 am once because it was the only time we had to do it that trip. What a lush!)

I have to confess that Oahu is not our favorite island (sorry spleen), but as you can see, we still love it. Please don't miss out on all there is to see on your own.

You can catch The Bus to Hanauma Bay though, if car rental is out for you. Go early both for water clarity and fewer people. The Bus goes around the whole island, but it's schedule may not be to your liking.

Enjoy and aloha.

beachchick

p.s. to spleen: Is there such a thing as an honorary Kama'aina and can DH and I be ones? Even if we moved to Hawai'i tomorrow, I'd still have to live a very long time to be one officially! :D

beachchick has some excellent suggestions there (don't worry, I don't take offense about Oahu not being people's favorite island. If I was visiting, it wouldn't be mine, either). For people who don't want to "drive around and look at stuff" but would rather be more active, you've got a lot of choices. I agree about renting a car BTW - it's the best way to give yourself more options in terms of things to do.

Kailua has some of the best beaches that Oahu has to offer ... and Lanikai is my favorite there (though parking is essentially non-existent). Great for lying on the beach and hanging out - not so good for snorkeling. But absolutely gorgeous. Doing the Diamond Head hike would also be good and also extremely cheap. In March, the North Shore waves will still be kicking pretty good - I wouldn't recommend snorkeling at Shark's Cove duriing the winter months, BTW, because of the surge from the waves. Also (slightly more expensive) - you might want to try sailplane gliding. Check out http://www.soarhawaii.com/. A friend of ours did this and loved their experience with their 7 year old daughter. Also on the more expensive side, would be a North Shore shark tour (http://sharktourshawaii.com/) if you're REALLY into activity. :D

People will go to fairly extreme measures to get the kama'aina discount. Some people have been known to open checking/savings accounts here with nominal sums and then get a Hawaii state ID based on that account so that they qualify for kama'aina discounts. Not recommended for most people. :)

Spleen

spleen: Mahalo for the tip about Shark's Cove. We were there in early fall.

Don't worry, I'm not so much looking for kama'aina discounts. Sure, they're nice, but I know we're not entitled. Although places like Foodland will give you a temporary if you are visiting and have the right Hawaiian attitude. I meant "honorary" more in the aloha, hang loose, island ohana sense.

beachchick

No wonder DH made me learn how to pronounce things correctly before our first trip together! (He had already spent quite a bit of time on the islands.)

Silly me. I thought it was because we believe that if you are visiting somewhere you should at least have some clue about the culture. (Yes, I know Hawai'i is one of the 50 states, but it is a different culture; just like a West coaster visiting the deep South should have some clue about the cultural differences between the two regions. We are a very diverse country--and aren't we lucky to have so much to learn about each other.)

beachchick

You are da kine akamai kane, brah. ;) Mahalo from this haole malihini.

Beachchick, I was wondering if you could answer a question for me.

About how far is Dillingham Airfield from where the cruiseships dock? I'm thinking of taking an aerobatics flight, but don't know if this is doable on a one-day port stop. If I can't do it in April, then I'll just have to wait until January when my cruise ports overnight in Honolulu.

Any help you could provide would be very much appreciated.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'm not beachchick but I can answer the question. :)

Dillingham Airfield is on the opposite side of the island from the cruise ship dock on Oahu. Figure about 1-1/2 to 2 hour driving time without traffic - adding in traffic (which you will certainly run into if you're driving early AM, late afternoon) will add another hour or so.

Spleen

I'm not beachchick but I can answer the question. :)

Dillingham Airfield is on the opposite side of the island from the cruise ship dock on Oahu. Figure about 1-1/2 to 2 hour driving time without traffic - adding in traffic (which you will certainly run into if you're driving early AM, late afternoon) will add another hour or so.

Thanks for the info, Spleen. Looks like that trip will need to wait until my January cruise then. I would be too afraid of getting back late and missing the ship this time around.

Blue skies!

--rita

Here is an idea: If you are not sure what you want to do here is a suggesdtion. We took the waikiki trolley all around Honolulu and enjoyed many of its sights. You pay one price, you can get off and on anytime, when you are through with a stop you just go to the bus stop and get back on. Here is a web site for you. www.waikikitrolley.com. Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Spleen, couple of questions....

Any information on the Royal Gardens Hotel in Waikiki? found some great internet rates. I do not have to have great views from the window, as i only sleep in the hotel, I enjoy a city by being out & about. My interest clean, safe and friendly staff. Fitness facilities a plus.

Where is the Pineapple Room? Read a great review referencing "the best meals & service I ever had" at this place.

Where would you eat, a not to miss...

Also do any of yall watch Gilad when he films, is there the ability to see the filmings? (the fitness guy famous for filming on your beautiful beaches)

Thanks for your help, we are coming in October on the Serenade. Does anyone do lei greetings for cruise disembarkations? found plenty for airport arrivals.

I am not the wise and powerful Spleen, but I can tell you that the Pineapple Room is in Macy's at Ala Moana SHopping Mall....go to the back side that faces the mountains and up to the top....there is also plenty of parking up there.

Can't answer about the filmings...I've bumped in to the "North Shore" crew but they didnt let you near....never seen other crews but friends of mine have seen them all over the place for Lost and other shows....you just never know.

My favorite restaurant so far is California Beach Rock and Sushi....ward center. If you like Sushi, its a great place. But being NOT a tourist, I hardly go down to the Waikiki area....good friends rave about Dukes on the beach, Tiki's, and Todai (great buffet....huge line)

We have read many people say "rent a car." I can't seem to get a straight answer as to which location is best in proximity to the cruise port. The airport location looks too far away and I've found another Alamo location that lookes closer but it closes at 6:00 p.m. We are there until 11:00 p.m.

Please provide some guidance. Thank you so much.

I am not the wise and powerful Spleen either - I'm the Spleen that only knows certain things about certain places. :D

Barb - what Suebee said about the Pineapple Room. Good food - one of my recommended places. If you're interested in a more upscale experience, you might wantto try Alan Wong's Restaurant - one of the most highly rated restaurants in Hawaii. Pineapple Room is Alan Wong's "low-rent" restaurant. :) Pineapple Room - you can usually walk up and get a table. For Alan Wong's, reservations are absolutely necessary.

Todai for me is a very mixed bag. But I'm Japanese so I'm also very picky about my Japanese food. I can see the attraction for a lot of people though. For me, it's not worth the money or the waiting time.

Does the fitness guy film on Oahu? For some reason, I thought it was on Maui or the Big Island?

dsawyer (Diane, is that you?? :D) - the Alamo location is in Waikiki, I believe. Yes, it closes early. The airport locations are probably more convenient since they'll have the biggest selections and usually the cheapest rates. People have taken taxis before to Waikiki and rented their car in Waikiki itself - some debate as to whether you can rent from Waikiki and drop off the car at the airport when you leave (suspect that it depends on the agency). If not, Enterprise can bring your rental car to you at the port. :)

And beachchick - when are you going to get back your own computer??

Spleen

I am not the wise and powerful Spleen, but I can tell you that the Pineapple Room is in Macy's at Ala Moana SHopping Mall....go to the back side that faces the mountains and up to the top....there is also plenty of parking up there.

Can't answer about the filmings...I've bumped in to the "North Shore" crew but they didnt let you near....never seen other crews but friends of mine have seen them all over the place for Lost and other shows....you just never know.

My favorite restaurant so far is California Beach Rock and Sushi....ward center. If you like Sushi, its a great place. But being NOT a tourist, I hardly go down to the Waikiki area....good friends rave about Dukes on the beach, Tiki's, and Todai (great buffet....huge line)

Oh dear. Suebee, I did not mean to imply that you are not wise as well. That particular response was only to reply to a specific post.

The knowledge and insight that all you locals give us malihinis is absolutely invaluable--even for those of us who've spent some time in Hawaii already.

I have no doubt that you, Suebee, are an nui wahine. You have given me so much helpful information.

Mahalo to all our Hawaiian friends. :D

beachchick

Thanks You SueBee & Spleen for the recomendations & locations. Any one have any insight on the Royal Garden on Olohana in Waikiki area. I know it is not on the Beach, according to map it is between the Military preserve & the waterway that runs ajacent to Ali Wai Blvd.

Thanks so much

Ahhhhh ... Barb, you have shrewdly deduced that I've been avoiding this question. :)

I actually don't know anything about this hotel personally. Location is very so-so ... it's located in the "cheap old hotel" district of Waikiki. Most major Waikiki attractions will be a good walk away.

For further opinions regarding the hotel, I refer you to Trip Advisor.

Spleen

Thanks Spleen for the response. I have read the good & bad. I am not a person to pay $400 a night to be right on the beach...I love to walk & appreciate a quiet night's sleep, and a clean room.

Thanks again for the help!

Found a great review for Cabanas http://starbulletin.com/2003/06/22/features/eater.html

We will definitally make reservations and hit this spot.

Archived