Hospital issued Birth Certificate vs Vital Records Birth Certificate

gracie65

We were there this morning around 930 or so. I just called the Port Authority again and spoke to another officer there who did reassure me that eventhough they were the wallet birth certificates, they would be fine because they had the little "raised seal" on em and they were from vital records and DHEC. She said that everyone but the baby, because she's 1, would need their photo id along with the bc and everything would be fine! I'm sooooo looking forward to going. After we get back, we're gonna start the passport process though.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

We were there this morning around 930 or so. I just called the Port Authority again and spoke to another officer there who did reassure me that eventhough they were the wallet birth certificates, they would be fine because they had the little "raised seal" on em and they were from vital records and DHEC. She said that everyone but the baby, because she's 1, would need their photo id along with the bc and everything would be fine! I'm sooooo looking forward to going. After we get back, we're gonna start the passport process though.

That's all my hubby had as well from SC before we had passports, it's good though that you double checked & triple checked. We've cruised with our son too and while he now has a passport the card is all he has. I think the main thing is that it has to be a raised seal copy from vital records not the hospital & to be honest until all this came up I didn't realize there was a difference because the hospital one also has a raised seal. If my post will prevent this from happening to just 1 person I will still be a happy cruiser.

I feel sorry for your friends I would be so upset if that happened to me. I am going in a group with 10 people and my husband and I are the only ones with passports. Since reading these posts (not just yours) all of our group has decided to get passports and take no chances. So thank you for sharing with us your situation.

As much as people will post 'If I'm not required to get one I refuse to spend the money', and many people will use their legit BC and board just fine, until the cruiseline requires everyone to have a Passport your goingto keep having sad stories like these of people missing the ship. Unfortunate.

I hate that it happened to your friends too. But people on this board act tend to treat anyone who posts a cautionary tale such as yourself with a certain lack of respect because they believe "everyone should know this stuff". Well, if everyone knew this stuff, your bud and his girl wouldn't have been turned away.

You bring up a valid point and I'm glad you mentionned the situation.

The point is that "what worked before may not work now" - rules change. If they don't, they are now being enforced whereas they weren't before. Or someone is interpreting (sp ?) them incorrectly...

I find the same thing with many subjects (smuggling alcohol, passpport vs birth certif, prices of drinks, using drink coupons, ages for kids club, tipping, restricted items, the whole power strip / fan issue, etc....) I mean how many times have we seen this: "Oh yes, I did that on my Carnival cruise 9 years ago so you won't have a problem ! Have fun !" :rolleyes:

What worked before - even last week - may not work when you try and do it. Best advise if to have the latest info and never assume - CHECK !! Could be with your TA, Carnival or boards like CC. (but get it in writting if it's from Carnival - LOL)

Goodness - this is just like watching a train wreck - you can't look away!

I laugh at myself for clicking on these threads, the same PP cheerleaders say the same thing, and the anti-PP pep squad chips in too!

Where is the smiley eating popcorn thingy?

Like I said before, any questions? Go to somewhere that issues passports, show them what you have, and the issue should be settled.

Apparently not, as this is yet another thread started by yet another poster who had someone in their party, if not their whole party, turned away.

My point even when I booked my first cruise many moons ago, the documentation indicated a "real" BC. I had to order one for me and my wife.

I was totally ignorant when it came to cruises and I figured it out so I figure that most can :). The only kicker in the OP's story was the acceptance just a few years ago.

Of course you will get the loonies that always think they need to plan for the worse case. Rules of thumb if I need to fly home - minimal percentage chance so I don't plan for minimal chances (and that includes winning the powerball!).

My point even when I booked my first cruise many moons ago, the documentation indicated a "real" BC. I had to order one for me and my wife.

I was totally ignorant when it came to cruises and I figured it out so I figure that most can :). The only kicker in the OP's story was the acceptance just a few years ago.

Of course you will get the loonies that always think they need to plan for the worse case. Rules of thumb if I need to fly home - minimal percentage chance so I don't plan for minimal chances (and that includes winning the powerball!).

What everyone is saying is exactly right about passports it's the way to go for sure. Thanks to everyone for taking my post seriously as a way to warn others they know, that may not know the difference. All these years we've heard a closed looped cruise only requires a photo id & state issued birth certificate with the raised seal. I think many may have the hospital bc which also has a raised seal like my friends & think that's all you need, so please just check before you are at the port.

What everyone is saying is exactly right about passports it's the way to go for sure. Thanks to everyone for taking my post seriously as a way to warn others they know, that may not know the difference. All these years we've heard a closed looped cruise only requires a photo id & state issued birth certificate with the raised seal. I think many may have the hospital bc which also has a raised seal like my friends & think that's all you need, so please just check before you are at the port.

A certified birth certificate does not always have a raised seal.....these same people are going to bring the wrong certificate when they apply for a passport.......I just don't get it......

Maybe all these problems started with people booking on their own with out help from a TA ........

Back in the day with TA's this never seemed to be a concern.......

One of the best ways to figure out if you have the "right" birth certificate is to apply for a US passport. If you get your passport, you've got the right document. :)

Yes that is for sure the best way. I have had one for several years. Unfortunately the friends in this situation only booked about 2 weeks ahead of time & had cruised Carnival 3 years prior with the same docs. The purpose was to get the word out to friends not on cc to double check your birth certificates. As most of us know many are not going to get them till they absolutely have to.

It was only 1 in our party but of course his gf didn't board because he couldn't. We did hear while we were on the ship that there were 12 in all on this sailing this happened to, not sure if they meant 12 cabins or 12 individuals but we didn't know any of the others.

I hate this happened to our friends & hate this left a bad taste in their mouth about Carnival & I can see both points but it won't keep me from cruising Carnival. We have been on 14 Carnival cruises & I'm not giving up the free wash & fold laundry for anyone!!!LOL

Excuse me, why would this leave a "bad taste" in anyone's mouth about Carnival? It's not Carnival's fault they didn't have the proper docs! Talk about entitlement syndrome! :eek:

I remeber my first cruise many years ago......boy,was I green.Cruise Critic did not exist at that time.I have learned some very costly lessons from my own mistakes.

Its a great tool we have here,We got our passports after reading about someones illness in Cozumel, and the nightmare they had trying to get home.Prior to that,my advice came from a TA,who assured me a closed loop was okay with a BC.

I guess my point it,not everyone knows everything,many dont even know the questions to ask.

I dont see any cheerleading going on here,just an exchange of information,plus some recomends.No popcorn needed

A certified birth certificate does not always have a raised seal.....these same people are going to bring the wrong certificate when they apply for a passport.......I just don't get it......

Maybe all these problems started with people booking on their own with out help from a TA ........

Back in the day with TA's this never seemed to be a concern.......

Our friends booked with a Carnival PVP that's been there quite awhile. I'm sure she went over went them what they needed but it goes back again to he used it less then 3 years ago on the same cruiseline & thought he had what he needed. He has the right one now & I'm sure after this lesson his next stop will be applying for a passport.

If a person was allowed to cruise before with what they thought was the correct BC, why would they think to check it to make sure it was the correct documention the next time they cruised.

Because it's the traveler's responsibility, that's why. I know when my passport expires, but before I book an international flight, I look at it (mostly to make sure it's where it's supposed to be, but many times, you're asked to state how long your passport is valid for).

Excuse me, why would this leave a "bad taste" in anyone's mouth about Carnival? It's not Carnival's fault they didn't have the proper docs! Talk about entitlement syndrome! :eek:

They are out over $5000.00 so it would leave a bad taste in almost anyone's mouth even at one's own ignorance. As I stated I am a regular poster they don't even know what cc is, to a fairly new cruiser yes in that case not being familiar with the passenger contracts as most of read about day in and day out here it would be a harder pill to swallow. I don't believe I ever said it was Carnival's fault. If the purpose of the thread is not something that can help you help someone else then you are not even grasping my purpose.

Thanks so much to those of you who do see what I'm trying to say.

We cruised with Birth Certificates this month on the Pride and honestly, I was so nervous about them not accepting it that my nerves made me a little nauseous! Next cruise is Birth Certificates for us!

But what if you fall off of the pier and need to be flown home immediately? Or, what if the boat sneaks away while you are tying your shoes? Or, or, or.....

Oh, that's right, a BC and picture ID is all you need for an emergency Passport issuance too.

Good choice!

But what if you fall off of the pier and need to be flown home immediately? Or, what if the boat sneaks away while you are tying your shoes? Or, or, or.....

Oh, that's right, a BC and picture ID is all you need for an emergency Passport issuance too.

Good choice!

OOOOOPPPPPSSSSS :eek:!! I'm sorry, I meant PASSPORTS! PASSPORTS FOR US NEXT CRUISE......I don't want to be nauseous anymore :D!

Archived