Med Fantasia from France June 2011 questions

delgadofam2002

I'm ready for my European experience!

I have quite a bit questions since I'm from the US.

Not familiar w/ports should stick w/ ship tours

How bad will my bill be after the exchange rates

Do we need to take formal clothing or business smart is ok?

We will be with our 15 & 17 year old

Basically any suggestions or helpful information is welcomed.

Hi delgadofam 2002

I'd say DIY all the ports except Tunis. they are all fairly easy to do on your own. There is nothing wrong with the ship's tours really just it is a very expensive way of exploring ports. You also need to bear in mind that English speakers will be in the minority so sometimes this results in tours being cancelled at fairly short notice if they don't reach the minimum numbers or it gets combined with another language tour and you then get less commentary.

You will find quite a bit of port infor for DIY on here if you search under Fantasia or Splendida (it shares some of the same ports as the Fantasia). Also the European port of calls section on cruise critic has loads of great info to help you plan what you are going to do. The secret to DIY is to do your research before you go, know where you want to go and how you are going to get there and it will work out fine. Port times are too short to be wandering ashore with no clear idea of what you want to do. By the time you get the info you need you will have wasted hours. If you are not too adventurous about using local public transport, then an easier (but more expensive) option are Hop On Hop Off buses. You can't get lost, you get back to the point you started at and don't have to worry about any language issues.

How bad your bill will be will depend more on how much you spend than the euro - $ conversion rate. bear in mind that you will need to pay extra for tea/coffee at lunch or dinner (basically any time other than breakfast or afternoon tea0, all other drinks, room service (except breakfast. Other optional extras include speciality restaurants, thermal area, movies in your cabin, photos, spa treatmenat, 4D theatre, F1 simulator and that sort of thing. Depending on what and how much you drink, one of the 3 types of drinks packages could save you money

All inclusive - needs to be bought in advance and everyone needs to buy it that is in the cabin

Unlimited drinks at meals - again needs to be bought in advance and all in the cabin must buy

Individual drinks packages - voucher system for a particyular type of drink e.g. cocktails, wine, berr etc. You get a book of vouchers and hand one over every time you want a drink/bottle. These can be bought onboard and sometimes in advance.

How long are you going to have in Paris? if it is not long, personally I'd skip Euro Disney in favour of experiencing the real paris rather than a US import that you can experience (probably better) in the US. Paris has just so much to offer and much of central Paris can be explored easily on foot. You can also get a carnet (book of 10 metro tickets) or a toursut pass that gives you unlimited metro, RER (suburban train) and bus transport for a certain number of days. Other places definitley experiencing in Paris are

- Champs Elysee - at one end you have the L'Arc de Triumphe and the other the Place de la Concorde and a whole lot of interesting places in between. You also get fab views of La Tour Eiffel from the bottom of this magnificent Street.

-Tuileries gardens, Notre Dame and the Louvre - all close to each other and easy to reach from the bottom of the Champs Elysee

- the Basilica of Sacre Couer and Montmarte (especially Place du Tertre) - need to get the metro to get hear (suggest Abbesses) and do the Place first at the back of the basilica where all the artists are hanging out and all the colourful cafe umbrellas that feature in a very famous Renoir painting, then in to the cathedral. Come out the front, for great views all over Paris and then come down the (very many stairs to the bottom)

The Latin Quarter - Boulevards St Michel & St Germain on the left bank are in my opinion a must. You just cross the Seine from Notre Dame to reach St Michel. St germain is a bit further up. There is a metro stop at St Germain de Pres. i really recommend you head here as this is one of my favourite places in Paris. Atmosphere is fantastc. Loads of really olf famous bohemoian cafes like the Cafe aux Flores and Les deux maggots. In the square behind there are loads of great restaurant and the place really comes to life in the evening - sitting outside having a meal whilst impromptu street "theatre" abounds - like music and dancing from camargue gypsies or whatever.

If you like art - forget the Louvre - it takes literally days to see it all, instaed got to the Musee D'Orsay (also on the left bak half way between St germain and the Eiffel Tower and walking distance from the former). It is a converted railway station that has a great collection of Impressionist and other types of art and sculpture. Up in the roof beside the big railway clock is a very nice cafe. it has an outside balcony where you can step out on to get great views across Paris. if you like Monet - Mussee marmottan is a must. In the basement there are around 20 huge original works.

Shopping - Galeries Lafayette near the Opera House is a Paris Institution.

Do a river cruise on the Bateau Mouche - you can do this during the day or night. It goes from the Notre dame/Ile de la Cite end of the Seine right up past the Eiffel Tower. I do not recommend a dinner cruise - this is a tourist trap thing which is expensive and the food quality not that great compared to eating in a French cafe or restaurant.

-Go to a bakers (Boulangerie/patisserie) and buy fresh made baguette sandwiches and/or savoury pastries/quiche and some lovely sweet delights. get some drinks and head to one of Paris many great public places for an impromptu picnic. the French are masters at bread and pastry. You could go to the Tuileries gardens or there are also very nice grounds with a nice big pond at the Palais du Luxembourg on the left Bank

- head out to versailles Palace (RER takes you) - beautiful Palace with amazing and very varied grounds (along at least 5 hours for this)

Loads more great places to see and do stuff morning noon or night in this amazing City. get a guide book and a map and prepare to be amazed. Guess you can tell that I'm a huge fan of Paris!

PS if you order a steak (entrecote) be awre that French cook them very rare so you may ask fro them to be cooked longer than you would normally. If you don't specify how you want it cooked it will be served very rare ("pink" chips swimming in the blood rare!)

On a 7 night cruise you will have 2 formal nights. Only a small percentage 10-20% (depending on the cruise) take true "formal wear. many make do with business smart and some don't bother at all.

Hi delgadofam 2002

I'd say DIY all the ports except Tunis. they are all fairly easy to do on your own. There is nothing wrong with the ship's tours really just it is a very expensive way of exploring ports. You also need to bear in mind that English speakers will be in the minority so sometimes this results in tours being cancelled at fairly short notice if they don't reach the minimum numbers or it gets combined with another language tour and you then get less commentary. be aware that many local attractions (like museums) and local transport do not accept credit cards as widely as you may be used to in the US, so have a supply of low denomination Euro notes and coins.

You will find quite a bit of port info for DIY on here if you search under Fantasia or Splendida (it shares some of the same ports as the Fantasia). Also the European port of calls section on cruise critic has loads of great info to help you plan what you are going to do. The secret to DIY is to do your research before you go, know where you want to go and how you are going to get there and it will work out fine. Print off the info (especially bus/train info) and take it with you. Port times are too short to be wandering ashore with no clear idea of what you want to do. By the time you get the info you need you will have wasted hours. If you are not too adventurous about using local public transport, then an easier (but more expensive) option are Hop On Hop Off buses. You can't get lost, you get back to the point you started at and don't have to worry about any language issues, but not as much fun as mixing it with the locals.

How bad your bill will be will depend more on how much you spend than the euro - $ conversion rate. bear in mind that you will need to pay extra for tea/coffee at lunch or dinner (basically any time other than breakfast or afternoon tea) and bottled water, all other drinks, room service (except breakfast.) Other optional extras include speciality restaurants, thermal area, movies in your cabin, photos, spa treatmenat, 4D theatre, F1 simulator and that sort of thing. Depending on what and how much you drink, one of the 3 types of drinks packages could save you money

All inclusive - needs to be bought in advance and everyone needs to buy it that is in the cabin

Unlimited drinks at meals - again needs to be bought in advance and all in the cabin must buy

Individual drinks packages - voucher system for a particyular type of drink e.g. cocktails, wine, berr etc. You get a book of vouchers and hand one over every time you want a drink/bottle. These can be bought onboard and sometimes in advance.

How long are you going to have in Paris? if it is not long, personally I'd skip Euro Disney in favour of experiencing the real Paris rather than an US import that you can experience (probably better) in the US. Paris has just so much to offer and much of central Paris can be explored easily on foot. You can also get a carnet (book of 10 metro tickets) or a tourist pass that gives you unlimited metro, RER (suburban train) and bus transport for a certain number of days. Other places definitley to experiencing in Paris are

- Champs Elysee - at one end you have the L'Arc de Triumphe and the other the Place de la Concorde and a whole lot of interesting places in between. You also get fab views of La Tour Eiffel from the bottom of this magnificent Street.

-Tuileries gardens, Notre Dame and the Louvre - all close to each other and easy to reach from the bottom of the Champs Elysee

- the Basilica of Sacre Couer and Montmarte (especially Place du Tertre) - need to get the metro to get here (suggest Abbesses) and do the Place first at the back of the basilica where all the artists are hanging out and all the colourful cafe umbrellas that feature in a very famous Renoir painting, then in to the cathedral. Come out the front, for great views all over Paris and then come down the (very many stairs to the bottom)

The Latin Quarter - Boulevards St Michel & St Germain on the left bank are in my opinion a must. You just cross the Seine from Notre Dame to reach St Michel. St germain is a bit further up. There is a metro stop at St Germain de Pres. i really recommend you head here as this is one of my favourite places in Paris. Atmosphere is fantastc. Loads of really old famous bohemian cafes like the Cafe aux Flores and Les deux maggots. In the square behind there are loads of great restaurant and the place really comes to life in the evening - sitting outside having a meal whilst impromptu street "theatre" abounds - like music and dancing from Camargue gypsies or whatever.

If you like art - forget the Louvre - it takes literally days to see it all, instead go to the Musee D'Orsay (also on the left bank half way between St Germain and the Eiffel Tower and walking distance from the former). It is a converted railway station that has a great collection of Impressionist and other types of art and sculpture. Up in the roof beside the big railway clock is a very nice cafe. it has an outside balcony where you can step out on to get great views across Paris. if you like Monet - Mussee Marmottan is a must. In the basement there are around 20 huge original works.

Shopping - Galeries Lafayette near the Opera House is a Paris Institution.

Do a river cruise on the Bateau Mouche - you can do this during the day or night. It goes from the Notre dame/Ile de la Cite end of the Seine right up past the Eiffel Tower. I do not recommend a dinner cruise - this is a tourist trap thing which is expensive and the food quality not that great compared to eating in a French cafe or restaurant.

-Go to a bakers (Boulangerie/patisserie) and buy fresh made baguette sandwiches and/or savoury pastries/quiche and some lovely sweet delights. get some drinks and head to one of Paris many great public places for an impromptu picnic. the French are masters at bread and pastry. (they are pretty good at the crepes as well!) You could go to the Tuileries gardens or there are also very nice grounds with a nice big pond at the Palais du Luxembourg on the left Bank

- head out to Versailles Palace - former home of marie Antonette and Louis IV - (RER takes you) - beautiful Palace with amazing and very varied grounds (allow at least 5 hours for this)

Loads more great places to see and do stuff morning noon or night in this amazing City. get a guide book and a map and prepare to be amazed. Guess you can tell that I'm a huge fan of Paris!

PS if you order a steak (entrecote) be aware that French cook them very rare so you may ask for them to be cooked longer than you would normally. If you don't specify how you want it cooked it will be served very rare ("pink" chips swimming in the blood rare!)

On a 7 night cruise you will have 2 formal nights. Only a small percentage 10-20% (depending on the cruise) take true "formal wear. many make do with business smart and some don't bother at all.

I am thinking of booking the excursions with MSC becuase if I do they will charge in US dollar vs foreign once I am there. Our dollar is pretty weak still compared to Euro. What do you think? Also any hotel suggestions while we are in Paris?

Can't comment on exchange rates as the pound is weak against everything at the moment. All I can say is look at the price you will get if you book in advance and then check one of the european websites probably msc.cruises.co.uk is best as that is in English to see what the euro prices are and then do your calculations on that as the onboard proces are usually the same as the ones on the website. However I'm now expert as I haven't done any on my last 10 cruises.

As for hotel recommendations - go for somewhere in the left bank. My niece and I stayed at L'Academie (4 star)last time (you can look it up on trip advisor or other sites). It was in a fantastic location, walking distance to so much and just around the corner from Boulevard St Germain and the metro stop but in a quiet side street, so no incessant noise all night long. It was very traditional french but had surprisingly large bathrooms (for a Parisian hotel) and the decor was a delightful mix of renaissance and modern. We really liked the cellar in the basement that they'd converted to the breakfast room. Bags of character and the front desk spoke English very well and seemed to be helpful to those looking for info on stuff to do.

Another hotel I've stayed at which is a bit cheaper in the left bank is 3 Colleges (3 star). Wee bit further to walk to a metro stop but close to the Sorbonne University and in a nice quiet side street. There used to be a bakers next door and it was lovely to wake to the smell of fresh baking bread. It's a charming little place.

Cheaper yet would be something from the Libertel chain in Paris. they used to have 14 2 and 3 star hotels acroos Paris but I see from their website that they have only 4 now. the only one I've stayed in many years ago was the Austerlitz which is right beside the large train station Austerlitz (2 star) so has good metro connections and close to the botanic gardens but really not as nice a locations as the other 2 I've mentioned above

if I were going back again I'd go back to L'Academie but I guess it depends on your price range or what facilities you want from a hotel. All 3 I've mentioned are traditional french. If you want the type of facilities you'd get in a US hotle then you may prefer to book with an International chain.

• 4 weeks later...

We cruised on the Fantasia from Marseille earlier this month. There are an Ibis, and a Novotel hotels near the cruise port. Unfortunately, due to the dock workers being on strike, the ship didn't come in to the port, we had to take a tender to the ship. The front desk clerk at the Ibis (reasonable rates, 2* very clean and comfortable) told us about the strike when we asked him to call a taxi for us. He found out where the ship was tendering passengers from, called the taxi, and gave the driver the directions. Another passenger had stayed at the Novotel, and they were not as helpful for her- she phoned the ship- a $52 charge. We don't usually do ship excursions (don't like the herding) but did do the ship excursion in Naples to Pompeii. In Tunis the welcome centre when you disembark has a posting of reasonable taxi tours. We (4 adults) chose the middle one, 2 stops for E40, and went to the museum, a Mosque, and the market. Most passengers wore dress cloths, but not formal wear for the 2 formal dinners. In Paris we stayed at a B&B. We were only a few minutes from central Paris via the metro. Our kind host walked us to the metro, showed us how to buy our passes, and how to navigate the metro. Have fun planning your trip. It would be a good idea to print the port info that you'll want to look at when you reach the ports, as you're researching for your trip. Once we got there it was more difficult to access, and we can only remember so much!

I'm ready for my European experience!

I have quite a bit questions since I'm from the US.

Not familiar w/ports should stick w/ ship tours

How bad will my bill be after the exchange rates

Do we need to take formal clothing or business smart is ok?

We will be with our 15 & 17 year old

Basically any suggestions or helpful information is welcomed.

Hi delgadofam :)

Congrats with your cruisebooking. I'm sure your family will have a great cruise on MSC Fantasia. A wonderful ship. We had a very nice cruise in the Western Med last September.

As other members say, all ports except from Tunis can be done by yourself. In Rome there is an excellent train connection from Civitavecchia right down to the city center. Hourly departures.

Timetable at:

http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html

In Barcelona there is a shuttlebus from the terminal to the city center:

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html

Genova is a very cozy city and right outside the cruiseterminal there is a local shuttleferry that takes you right into the hear of the city in 10 minutes, a nice harbour cruise. They dock right at the famous aqvarium in Genova. Costs EUR 5. You can also walk the distance in 15-20 minutes.

Have a look at my review here and just ask if you have any questions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1287794&highlight=

Archived