Smoky rooms?

We'll Sea

We are first time cruisers and wondered if the staterooms were smoky from previous guests. We weren't given an option for a non-smoking room. Didn't know if they had such. We are sailing on the RCI Rhapsody. I have allergies and just want to be prepared.

Thanks for any thoughts on the subject!

If I had a problem with them, I would book a balcony room for sure so that I could get fresh air sometimes in through the door. But I have heard that people have had problems with others next door with studd coming around the balcony. (Cigar, cigarette, perfume).

I am a smoker and we always leave the bathroom door open in the room so that the exhaust sucks out the smoke. But some people might not do this and it would make the room smell worse. But you might have other problems.

Generally any room that you are in will be cleaned. But if there is something down there that disagrees with you, it would be made worse since it is a ship.

I'm surprised you weren't asked for a preference! I cruised with Carnival and when I booked the cruise I was asked and received a non-smoking room. My mother is extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke and has not come across anything yet that gets rid of the odor completely for her, so we absolutely needed a smoke-free cabin and got one.

I'm surprised ships would allow passengers to smoke in the cabins, though, for fire safety reasons. If one cannot (or is supposed to not) light a candle, than how could they light a cigarette?

Oh well....

We don't smoke and always ask for a non smoking cabin. My husband can smell anything! On one ship, and I think it was RCCL, he could smell smoke in our cabin. We went to the purser's desk and told them. They apologised and said they would take care of it right away and to come back if we still smelled smoke. If we did, they would wash the curtains, the walls, the windows and everything else! When we got back to the cabin there was no smell of smoke at all and they didn't have to come back! Just make sure you say non smoking cabin when you book. And have a great cruise!

I'm surprised you weren't asked for a preference! I cruised with Carnival and when I booked the cruise I was asked and received a non-smoking room.

Carnival has NO non-smoking cabins. You must be dreaming, or cruised many, many years ago

The Paradise was Carnival's only non-smoking ship, and now they've changed it to smoking.

To my knowledge, there are few non-smoking cabins. I think Disney and perhaps one other cruise line does not allow smoking in the cabins.

The cabins actually don't smell like stale cigarette smoke, believe me, I have a nose for it. I can't tolerate smoke or the leftover smell of cigarettes and they do a marvelous job of eliminating it. We have only had a problem with it once, because we were next to a smoker, but there isn't really anything you can do about that. We just left our cabin a whole lot, it came right through the walls. I remember feeling very sorry for the guys kids, they had to sleep in there with the smoke.

Keep in mind that usually one side of the ship allows smoking in public areas, so find out which side that is so you can avoid those areas. There is no smoking allowed in the dining rooms or show rooms. We would remember to exit out of those rooms away from smoking areas. You really have to remember that even though you (and I) cannot tolerate cigarette smoke, even outside, the smokers do have the priviledge of smoking in some areas of the ship. We have to be kind and tolerate one another.

Just wanted to add, many people have the idea that Carnival eliminated their non-smoking ship because of sales. I read a statement, from Carnival, this is not actually the truth, they needed a ship that size for the west coast market. Paradise was just as booked as any other Carnival ship. I'm hopeful they will build a non-smoking ship once again, it would be a delight to cruise smoke-free.

Thanks to everyone for their replys. I feel better about it and won't let it worry me for the next 8 months! I usually don't have much of a problem in outside or open areas, but staying in a closed up room had me worried. Didn't want my clothes to smell like it either.

Thanks again!

I'd like to add that, in all my Carnival cruises, I've NEVER smelled the slightest odor of cigarettes when entering my cabin. I think they use some really powerful 'stuff' to clean the cabins. (You could always take one of the Febreze products if you think you might have a problem. I like the new aniti-bacterial one that also removes pet and tobacco odors.)

My husband and I are both smokers(I know,I know,maybe some day).But I also have a phobia about leftover smoke smelling rooms. I bring a can of "Oust" with me whenever I travel, be it cruising or staying at a hotel. I figure the cleaning staff as well as another passenger might be bothered by it. I'm not trying to come off like some "angle", I'm just trying to be considerate of other people. Plus we always get a balcony room.

Archived