Tortuga Island Cruise on the Calypso

dnl_in_Illinois

We're anticipating doing the Tortuga Island Cruise on the Calypso catamaran http://www.calyp********s.com/cruiseship.asp out of Puntarenas in November 2010. Can anyone advise me on the availability of taxi's to take a party of 4 into Puntarenas and the Calypso dock from the Caldera port? I'm sure there will be plenty of taxis wanting to take people on tours -- and I am concerned they won't want our "short" fare anticipating someone better will come along. Does anyone have experience with taxi's at this port?

I've found taxi's in CR to be very easy and accommodating. They are out to make a living. They can run you somewhere close by and still get back to the dock in time for another fare so they don't really mind shorter trips. If they do want a day long tour they will usually point you to someone willing for a short trip.

True in Costa Rica just like anywhere else in the world you have to be a bit more careful in areas frequented by stupid tourists, like at cruise ship docks. Some drivers may be tempted to squeak a little extra money out of the unsuspecting. Clearly state what you want the driver to do "take the 4 of us to xxx, how much?" Set the price up front before you get into the cab and you should be OK. You just have to be slightly smart and you will be fine.

I've found taxi's in CR to be very easy and accommodating. They are out to make a living. They can run you somewhere close by and still get back to the dock in time for another fare so they don't really mind shorter trips. If they do want a day long tour they will usually point you to someone willing for a short trip.

True in Costa Rica just like anywhere else in the world you have to be a bit more careful in areas frequented by stupid tourists, like at cruise ship docks. Some drivers may be tempted to squeak a little extra money out of the unsuspecting. Clearly state what you want the driver to do "take the 4 of us to xxx, how much?" Set the price up front before you get into the cab and you should be OK. You just have to be slightly smart and you will be fine.

Pilotdane -- your comments are reassuring as well as good advice, especially the suggestion to set the price up front before getting into the cab. Fortunately, one of the 4 of us is fluent in Spanish so we will pursue your advice. Thanks much!

Dave K.

Archived