cruising with little kids?

Pacruiser02

Hi! We are going on our first cruise just before Christmas and we are taking our 2 kids ages 4 & 8, first cruise for all of us! We keep hearing about all these cool shows and clubs to go to after dinner, but I'm guessing we cant do those with our kids. For those of you who cruise with little ones what does your itinerary look like?

Thanks!

We are taking our kids on the Christmas cruise too...you can always leave the kids at Camp Carnival when you want to go to shows or if you want to go to dinner alone. If you check out the family board here, there are some good posts about cruising with kids. After 10pm you can pay for babysitting services with Camp Carnival if there is something you want to do late night.

Hi! We are going on our first cruise just before Christmas and we are taking our 2 kids ages 4 & 8, first cruise for all of us! We keep hearing about all these cool shows and clubs to go to after dinner, but I'm guessing we cant do those with our kids. For those of you who cruise with little ones what does your itinerary look like?

Thanks!

Our upcoming cruise on the Dream will be our 4th Family cruise in just over two years, and our children will be 4 and 7 for the upcoming cruise. We have taken them to several of the singing/dancing shows, and they have enjoyed that, and we also have used Camp Carnival in the evening which they have also enjoyed and that has allowed us to have some adult time. We have had the added benefit of having my in-laws on the last couple of cruises, and they are glad to take a turn with them during the evening too,

Hi there!

We are leaving in 12 days for our third cruise with kids (they will be 2,4,6). I am not sure if you are aware but Camp Carnival is open until 10 p.m. and they do offer babysitting (last time it was $6 for first $4 each additional per hour) starting after 10. If there is a show or club or something you and the spouse want to check out, you always have that option.

We have always had late dinner and have been able to enjoy the evening show with no problems.

Have a wonderful time on your trip!

Lori

:)I have some good news for you. Camp Carnival. Camp Carnival is free during normal business hours, including for a few hours after dinner (kids love it, you will have trouble getting them to leave camp) and available as mass babysitting late night (after 10pm) for a nominal fee. Hint: Go to the Camp Carnival organizational meeting. It will probably take place after dinner on your departure day. Check your daily Carnival newspaper for time and location. They can give you details. I think you can even register your children online for Camp Carnival as part of your pre-cruise paperwork. We have taken 7 family cruises. We tend to follow the same schedule on port days. We go together on shore excursions, have lunch together onboard and then the kids spent a good part of the afternoon in camp. We all have dinner together and then the kids spent a few more hours at camp. We tend not to use their late night babysitting services because mom and dad are too tired. Your kids will also love the waterslide. (Very mild). It's not always open so check your daily Carnival Capers for operating hours. You may want some inexpensive flip flops for wearing on deck. Sometimes the deck gets hot while waiting for waterslide. Enjoy.

Thanks for all the tips!! I have this fear (kinda wierd dream) of my kids falling off the ship! Please tell me its not that easy to fall of the ship!

Is it safe leaving the kids at the camp? Do they keep a good eye on them?

Thanks!

Our kids have always had a good time at Camp, and yes, I think they do a good job keeping them occupied and safe.

And no, it isn't easy to fall off a ship, but I admit, we certainly made balcony rules right away!:)

We have the same fear with out kids. They're 7 & 9 and all I keep telling them is to NEVER climb anything to see more over the railing. I put lots of fear into them. But my son thinks the sharks are down there just waiting for someone to fall. LOL Too cute....

I had some reservations about Camp Carnival but have heard lots of good things from everyone on here. I don't think we'd use it too much in the evenings because we like to go to bed early but will definitely take advantage in the day. We've shown them photos and have talked about the different things they'll get to do... they are very excited!

Have fun on your cruise! :)

I have a 7 year old who is all boy! He has never even shown any interest in climbing up on a railing in the past two cruises he has been on! (ages 5 and 6). He loves Camp, cries on the last night because he will be leaving his new friends and teachers and begs to eat with them every night (we let him do this 2-3 nights -- it's his vacation too!). They do so many activities, art, etc. I'm a teacher and I'm amazed at what they do with those kids!

It is very, very safe. Only those who are listed can sign them out and you have to show ID each time. They have snacks (lemonade, milk and cookies, etc.) quite often, a restroom in or near, lots of toys and games, etc. Since you have one under 5, they will probably give you a phone or pager that they will use to call you if you are needed for anything.

Have a great cruise! They are one of the best vacations for a family in my humble opinion.

Thanks for all the tips!! I have this fear (kinda wierd dream) of my kids falling off the ship! Please tell me its not that easy to fall of the ship!

Is it safe leaving the kids at the camp? Do they keep a good eye on them?

Thanks!

Well that's where you come in as a parent. Know where your kids are at and what they are doing. Letting your children roam around the ship freely is a big mistake. And you will see children doing just that. Playing on the elevator, and running amuck. Parents not caring where their are kids are at or what they are doing. Don't forget that cruise ships are mini cities--child molesters are on board too.

Well that's where you come in as a parent. Know where your kids are at and what they are doing. Letting your children roam around the ship freely is a big mistake. And you will see children doing just that. Playing on the elevator, and running amuck. Parents not caring where their are kids are at or what they are doing. Don't forget that cruise ships are mini cities--child molesters are on board too.

Pretty sure the OP is not going to let a 4 or 8 year old roam the ship by themselves?

Any parent that would do that, probably isn't going to post on a message board about how to cruise with little kids.

Anther thing that I like is the counter with the half door that keeps the kids corralled in and wanderers out. At first we felt bad for "dumping" our kid at camp carnival but in the end she dumped us and wanted to hang out at camp carnival all the time. We will be on the Dream for the Holidays and all my daughter can talk about is camp carnival.

Thanks!

Great for kids they have activies for all kids over 2. Carnival isn't the ship for shows. They have clubs but the shows are amature. In fact on the Freedom while they tecnically had a show every night, some nights it was just other guests performing. One night was 3 ladies doing a hula dance. Some other lady doing some other type of dance like hula, and one boy on a saxaphone, he was good but I felt like I was at a very short talent show at a school. Another night they had three singers doing karokee with the band - oh weee

The comedy club was ok but can't do it every night or you hear the same thing. They did change comics at the half way point though. Went to one show where their dancers and band performed but walked out.

Thanks!

Oh yes you can!!!! Your kids are going to LOVE Camp Carnival!!!! My son hasn't been in 2 years, but he cannot wait to go again (in 13 days).

They keep them very safe at camp. My kids have been cruising since they were 2, now 9 and 11. Most places on the ship it would be very hard for them to fall off. The exception, if you let the climb on your balcony railing or move the furniture on the balcony. My rule has always been no kids on the balcony without an adult. Don't hyperventilate, I always worry every cruise, but once we get there, I'm fine. The kids will love it and so will you, especially if you and your children are flexible and not set in too structured of a schedule.

Have Fun!!!!

I can only say good things about the Camp Carnival programmes! The schedule for the various age groups are so extensive. It will certainly keep your children busy.

As far as falling off a ship, the railings are about chest high for an adult, so the chances of anyone falling off is slim to none.

Hope you choose to take your children on a cruise. Our 6 year old has been on 5 cruises already and he loves the whole experience, from Camp Carnival, the lobster dinner, the stage productions, and that he goes to several different countries in a week.

Great for kids they have activies for all kids over 2. Carnival isn't the ship for shows. They have clubs but the shows are amature. In fact on the Freedom while they tecnically had a show every night, some nights it was just other guests performing. One night was 3 ladies doing a hula dance. Some other lady doing some other type of dance like hula, and one boy on a saxaphone, he was good but I felt like I was at a very short talent show at a school. Another night they had three singers doing karokee with the band - oh weee

The comedy club was ok but can't do it every night or you hear the same thing. They did change comics at the half way point though. Went to one show where their dancers and band performed but walked out.

I definitely experienced this on our recent Destiny cruise. Two nights, the only show scheduled involved guests (the Love Game and the talent show) and neither started until 10pm. Now both of those shows might be entertaining, but I feel they should be additions to professional acts (but they weren't). This was an area I could defnitely see why Carnival was cheaper (than some other cruiselines).

We have a four year old, and she just loved Camp. She went everytime she had the chance - we always gave her the choice of staying with us or going to camp. We also found the camp to be a very secure environment for her. They say there is no exceptions to the ID policy and they mean it. One night my husband accidentally grabbed my Sign and Sail card when he went to pick up our daughter. She was standing on the other side of the door (could see him) saying "Hi Dadda!!!" and they still made him go back and get his ID. We like that kind of security!

That said, we still had to miss every show that started at 9:45 or later because our kiddo just doesn't stay up much past 10pm without consequences for us the next day - crankiness, moodiness, etc. Since we didn't want her to sleep in until 11am the next morning, we had to get her to bed.

That said, if you go with the mindset that you might not get to a show every night, or you will just have drinks under the stars, or sit at a bar listening to music, I think you will have a good time.

Thanks!

Our typical sea day looks like this:

8 am: breakfast in the dining room (much better than running all over the lido deck when one wants milk, another juice, more cereal etc)

9-12: kids to camp while mom and dad go to the gym, relax on the balcony, read etc.

12: lunch - sometimes Lido, sometimes dining room (I love to be waited on when on vacation:p)

After lunch: family time at pool time, build a bear, putt-putt, games etc. Sometimes, there is something at camp for an hour or so that they want to do as well

4:30ish: back to the room for naps and showers

6:00: dinner as a family in the MDR (though at least once a cruise, if there is a supper club, we will put them in camp for dinner and have an adult only meal)

7:00: one parents walks the kid(s) to camp, while the other orders tea and dessert (the wait staff is very good about having dessert out early for the kids)

7-10: mom and dad have drinks, walk the ships, see the early comedian, see the show etc.

By 10, we are all tired and ready for the ocean to rock us to sleep!

Port days are very different cause we take them ashore. We still try to do breakfast in the DR if shore excursion times allow. It just makes for such a relaxing start to the day if you have kids that will sit still, enjoy a cup of hot cocoa and a muffin while breakfast is made and brought to them.

At night, there are some shows like the hypnotyst on the Legend or the Magician on the Glory that kids over say 6 or so might enjoy.

A&J -- your days sound a LOT like ours... we enjoy doing things with the kids as a family, letting the kids participate in CC while we have grown up time and enjoying port days with the kids. I am glad you mentioned nap time ;) I always get the kids and take a mid-day nap on sea days... that way when we want to stay up late (we LOVE CC after hours, it is so worth $5 an hour) they're not cranky. We get them from the pajama party around 11-11.30 and go get a piece of pizza or ice cream and talk for a while then brush our teeth and crawl into bed. I can't wait for our cruise in October... The kids have SUCH a good time.

CC is very safe and I feel comfortable leaving my young children there. DD was 3 last cruise and 1/2 the time wanted to go and 1/2 the time wanted to stay, we always gave her the option. One night she was all dressed up for the princess party and changed her mind last minute. Either way we all have so much fun.

My DS's 10th birthday is this cruise and going was his b day wish since he had SO much fun last time -- he's most looking forward to escargot and sushi... go figure.

The one cruise I went on sans kids I missed them so much! I love the balance of family time and alone time and grown up time with your spouse... there aren't that many places so accomodating -- that's why I love to cruise. It's the best of all worlds.

We started cruising with the boys at about that age.

They will LOVE Camp Carnival.

Our family schedule on Sea Days was fairly close to A&Jfamily....we always had meals together...however on Elegant Night Camp Carnival will even feed them...

Port days...we always did things a family and then the boys would go to Camp Carnival from 7om - 10pm.

Also know that Camp Carnival is included in your cruise fare and does not cost any extra until 10PM.

From 10PM - 3AM...it is $6 an hour for the first child and $4 an hour for additional children.

We used this babysitting service a couple of times on each cruise and the boys loved it as well.

Now they are 22 and 19...all grown up with wonderful memories from Camp Carnival.

Archived