Your Lucky Tours or JJ?

alishac

I've emailed both of this tour guides with prices for custom tours, and both have given the same price. Any advice on who to choose? Has anyone toured with both guides that could offer a comparison? Both have such good reviews and references on this site, I'm not sure which way to go...

I've emailed both of this tour guides with prices for custom tours, and both have given the same price. Any advice on who to choose? Has anyone toured with both guides that could offer a comparison? Both have such good reviews and references on this site, I'm not sure which way to go...

JJ was FANTASTIC. We were with him in December of last year. He customized his tour based on what we all wanted to do...we Zip lined, visited the Banana plantation, went on a river cruise and he took us to a fabulous place for lunch...all in all a great day with a tour guide who was lots of fun!

Good luck!

I've been in touch with Eduardo from YLT to put together a private tour out to JRC, the coffee plantation and then some shopping. He's been extremely easy to work with, very prompt and helpful. He's even called me a couple times to clarify some things. We're still kind of tweaking the itinerary but I believe his prices are either a little less or the same as what is quoted by JJ. There has been no talk of any kind of deposit or pre-payment.

In any case, I'm very pleased with his service and feel that I made a really good choice. I'll let you know how everything goes when we get back.

I've been in touch with Eduardo from YLT to put together a private tour out to JRC, the coffee plantation and then some shopping. He's been extremely easy to work with, very prompt and helpful. He's even called me a couple times to clarify some things. We're still kind of tweaking the itinerary but I believe his prices are either a little less or the same as what is quoted by JJ. There has been no talk of any kind of deposit or pre-payment.

In any case, I'm very pleased with his service and feel that I made a really good choice. I'll let you know how everything goes when we get back.

We just came off the Freedom and used Eduardo and YLT. Like Keywestcat said, he is very good in keeping in constant communication prior to you rtrip. He customized a tour for us that included a visit to a coffee plantation, a banana plantation, the Tortuguero Canal and a visit to Playa Bonita and got us back to the ship in plenty of time to sneak in some shopping.

Your lucky tours is great, we went on an excursion with him just last week, great communication, was on time, took us anywhere we wanted to go, and was inexpensive, would highly recommend

Sorry we never got to meet. Who ended up being your tour guide? I thought you guys were going to have Eduardo, but we ended up with him.

I agree with everything Gometros said. We was on the same tour last week and you can't beat YLT. Eduardo is the best guide we've had. He is very knowledgeable about his country. He told us things and showed us thing far and beyond an average tour guide. He knew all the different kinds of plants and animals. Also a fairly funny guy. You can't go wrong with Eduardo and YLT!!!

I would not hesitate to book a tour with Eduardo and "Your Lucky Tours". We just went on his tour with a group from the Carnival Freedom in September.

He was very communicative with us before and after our tour. He runs an honest business and does what he says. He never left us alone and even hung with us during our lunch making sure we were served by the wait staff. He gave us good advice on what to do and what to avoid both in Costa Rica and Panama. We felt like we were in good hands the whole time we were with him.

I would highly recommend him to anyone wanting an excursion in Costa Rica.

• 2 weeks later...

We used Eduardo with Your Lucky Tours in April of this year. He was GREAT. We had a group of 10 from ages of 10 to 53 and went zip lining , to the banana plantation and to the beach for lunch. He will have a lot of contact with you before you go and make it very clear where to meet him. We were on a small bus with about 22 people and he made sure we had a lot of fun. We would all use him again when we get back to Costa Rica

Rick

We just returned from Puerto Limon last week. We used Eduardo for a private tour, we were four. My elderly parents accompanied us, my mother has limited mobility. All of the pre-cruise communication with Eduardo was great, he even called me to personally go over the tour agenda! When we arrived at the port he was waiting for us right outside the pier with a sign that had our name on it. The vehicle and the driver were right there and to my surprise Eduardo himself would be our guide. We were going to do the Zip line at Cedar Valley Ranch, but I had a bit of a cold and decided to skip that part, no problem with Eduardo. We went to the fruit stand from there we went to the Del Monte plantation then on to the jungle boat. We headed to Playa Bonita and had a great lunch at a little beach-side restaurant. From there we went into town for a little shopping and back to the pier. I cannot emphasize the attention that Eduardo and Roger (our driver) put into our time with them.

I would not hesitate to recommend Lucky Tours and Eduardo to anyone visiting Puerto Limon. I believe that you cannot experience a destination without sight of it's residents. Eduardo proved to be the most gracious host and funny guide that we have had the pleasure to travel with.

If I can answer any questions, please let me know.

Does YLT have a website or email address or must you just contact him by phone? It/he sounds great! Has anyone heard of tortuguero Wildlife Tours? They have a website and have some good reviews on Tripadvisor.

Does YLT have a website or email address or must you just contact him by phone? It/he sounds great! Has anyone heard of tortuguero Wildlife Tours? They have a website and have some good reviews on Tripadvisor.

This is the website for YLT: http://www.yourluckytour.com/ We have plans to use them in Feb. so always watching for reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

we just returned from our nov. 1st cruise. We used JJ in Costa Rica for a tour. We weren't totally happy with his service. First of all we were unable to go on the tour we had asked him to take us on, (#5). First he said we didn't have enough people to go, which he never communicated in his e-mail. Then, he said it had rained too much to get to the Jaguar Rescue Center. We joined another group for tour (#1). These tours are listed on his web site. We did not have JJ for a guide, we had someone he uses for tours. We didn't go everywhere they told us we would go. Our destinations changed during the tour. Flexiblitiy is fine, but they kept changing the itinerary. There was no compliamentary water, beer and soda as described on his web site. JJ seems nice enough, but when communicating with him, he didn't always seem to be on the same page with us. we did the zip line, canal tour and banana plantation.

we just returned from our nov. 1st cruise. We used JJ in Costa Rica for a tour. We weren't totally happy with his service. First of all we were unable to go on the tour we had asked him to take us on, (#5). First he said we didn't have enough people to go, which he never communicated in his e-mail. Then, he said it had rained too much to get to the Jaguar Rescue Center. We joined another group for tour (#1). These tours are listed on his web site. We did not have JJ for a guide, we had someone he uses for tours. We didn't go everywhere they told us we would go. Our destinations changed during the tour. Flexiblitiy is fine, but they kept changing the itinerary. There was no compliamentary water, beer and soda as described on his web site. JJ seems nice enough, but when communicating with him, he didn't always seem to be on the same page with us. we did the zip line, canal tour and banana plantation.

Lack of communication is one problem you will not experience with YLT. Eduardo is constantly in contact with you through Facebook and/or email.

I was worried after I read the post about the bad experience with JJ's tour since we are booked with him on our Nov.15 cruise. I emailed him and he promptly replied back that it would have been dangerous to go to the JRC due to conditions of the roads and he explained that to you that he couldn't endanger anyone. We are booked on the same #5 tour for our trip, I will update after we get back.

2martinis-

We are on the Nov 15 Coral Princess cruise and are part of a group booked with JJ for the JRC and a canal tour. Is this the tour you are on?? Please contact me privately at gkkapp at comcast dot net so we can make arrangements to meet and all get off together once the ship has docked in Limon. There is a roll call for this cruise. Check the roll call board.

<<<Karen>>>

Franma; which cruise are you on? I am also trying to set up a tour in Feb. We will be in Costa Rica on 2/24 from the Island Princess.

We'll be in C.R. on 2/12 from Celebrity Equinox. Not sure whether it's just our group of 6 or others, too. Sorry couldn't help with your planning.

Yes, he did say it would be dangerous, but that was his third reason for not going. He explained that they had eight feet of rain in the past several days. That is a whole lot of rain, maybe it was eight inches????? At any rate, we didn't mind changing tours as much as we were disappointed that we didn't go everywhere the new tour was supposed to go. I think you will be fine with JJ. Hopefully, he will do the tour himself, that would be good. Have a great trip and I am jealous that you are going to the JRC.

• 1 month later...

Just back from a cruise on the Zuiderdam and a stop in Costa Rica. Elaine a Cruise Critic member from New Jersey set up a tour with Eduardo for 9 people for the Jaguar Rescue Center and the canals. It turned out to be a great tour even though we had some rain.The van used was roomy and air conditioned. If you are concerned about safety, Eduardo's driver was a very safe driver. The Jaguar Rescue Center was the highlight of the tour. Really enjoyed the sloths and howler monkeys. Having the tour conducted by one of the directors was outstanding.Talk about bad roads getting to and from the two sites. Fortunately the van held together and got us back to the ship on time. Jostling along the bumpy roads resulted in the loss of my camera case (containing memory cards and batteries) inside the van . When I got back on the ship I noticed the case was missing from my backpack. I sent an e-mail to Eduardo from the ship asking if he had found a camera on the van. When I got back home I had received an e-mail from Eduardo stating that he found the case in the van and would mail it to me. Talk about great customer service. I would highly recommend Eduardo’s tour if you want to see an interesting part of Costa Rica not covered by the ship’s tours. It was truly an adventure.

oldefox

Yes, he did say it would be dangerous, but that was his third reason for not going. He explained that they had eight feet of rain in the past several days. That is a whole lot of rain, maybe it was eight inches????? At any rate, we didn't mind changing tours as much as we were disappointed that we didn't go everywhere the new tour was supposed to go. I think you will be fine with JJ. Hopefully, he will do the tour himself, that would be good. Have a great trip and I am jealous that you are going to the JRC.

Hi---We just returned from the Cele Equinox and booked the above tour with JJ. He mentioned the situation with the floods and mudslides affecting a tour last month. If not mistaken, I think that was a result of the hurricane which struck Hondurous. Anyway, we found JJ to be very engaging, likable and competent. Interestingly, the Jag. Rehab Center doesn't have jaguars, but it did have a monkey house and as soon as we walked in, the little buggers were all over us...it was the highlight of the trip. Also, our fee included a nice lunch, which I don't believe JJ had mentioned to us in our communications (I set up the group). I'd use him again.

We'll be in C.R. on 2/12 from Celebrity Equinox. Not sure whether it's just our group of 6 or others, too. Sorry couldn't help with your planning.

My wife and me are now exploring via internet various excursions opportunities. The advertised tours of YLT have a reduced programme as compared to other travelling-agencies. We are evaluating either "rain forest" or "tortuguero+plantation". however, YLT does not mention the costs of the tours. might be I would have to mail them. franma, which tour have you chosen?? brunolug of switzerland.

Archived