Class of cruisers from NYC

valtandc

Darn. reading some of the reviews about class (or lack of) of cruisers out of nyc. I've taken 2 cruises out of nyc, NCL and RCCL. Now after reading some posts i am wondering if many of the people are really THAT bad? Or just having a good time and being a bit boisterous.

Darn. reading some of the reviews about class (or lack of) of cruisers out of nyc. I've taken 2 cruises out of nyc, NCL and RCCL. Now after reading some posts i am wondering if many of the people are really THAT bad? Or just having a good time and being a bit boisterous.

Please send me a link to that post. I'm from Canada and have cruised out of New Jersey and New York many times. Yes New Yorkers are a bit loud, and they do like to enjoy themselves. They are also very welcoming. On one of our cruises we were arriving back to New York there was a very bad snow storm. We had to drive to Toronto that day to get home, our table mates from New York offered to have us stay at their house until the stormed pasted.:D

People suck everywhere. I've cruised out of NYC, Baltimore, Jaxport, Miami and Tampa and every cruise had it's fair share of jerks. Jerks aren't limited by geography. If you've taken two cruises out of NYC and didn't notice it until you read reviews here, perhaps you are letting others influence your own opinions a bit too much.

That's so interesting! I have been reading reviews for cruises out of southern US ports and was surprised by the comments about tacky passengers cruising from there...maybe the people posting these reviews are trying to stir up soem trouble???

I think "lack of class" as it is used in reviews on this board is a very subjective thing. Since you've been on 2 cruises from NY, you are the best judge for yourself, but I certainly hope people won't get "scared off" from taking a cruise from a particular departure port simply because of a handful of reviews based on something as subjective as that.

Please send me a link to that post. I'm from Canada and have cruised out of New Jersey and New York many times. Yes New Yorkers are a bit loud, and they do like to enjoy themselves. They are also very welcoming. On one of our cruises we were arriving back to New York there was a very bad snow storm. We had to drive to Toronto that day to get home, our table mates from New York offered to have us stay at their house until the stormed pasted.:D

I bet you were stuck there like glue if the storm "pasted".

I agree that you can get a less than wonderful group from any port.

I have always found it interesting though that the very same ship and staff that do both the New York run and the Florida run....get better reviews from the Florida run.....

People suck everywhere. I've cruised out of NYC, Baltimore, Jaxport, Miami and Tampa and every cruise had it's fair share of jerks. Jerks aren't limited by geography. If you've taken two cruises out of NYC and didn't notice it until you read reviews here, perhaps you are letting others influence your own opinions a bit too much.

great points to all. there can be jerks everywhere. i'm from NJ and work in NY often. Who knows what the point of reference of the people writing these complaints are.

great points to all. there can be jerks everywhere. i'm from NJ and work in NY often. Who knows what the point of reference of the people writing these complaints are.

Exactly. If you're from NJ and venture into NY (especially on public transit), you've seen all kindsa jerks in action. Nothing shocking at this point! ;)

Are you a Patriots fan or do you just like to stick your foot in your mouth for fun?

In either case, I feel very sorry for you.

I'm a patriots fan. Don't feel sorry for me. I've been able to watch my team in 6 superbowls. I hate the Jets, can't hate Rex though. Now lets go get a snack!

Yes, yes I can. And considering I grew up in the Buddy Ball Era of the Eagles, I can't wait for him to go the way of his father.

Buddy Ball, :D. Good times. I'd like to see the father and son's combined cholesterol. Hey, can we all just get along and come together with our mutual hatred of the 'Fins?

Painting with a broad brush are we?

My best friend lives in NY, is loud, brash, funny and hasn't got a mean bone in her body... She would give anything to make someone feel better.

I also have some neighbors who are originally from Georgia. They speak softly, never swear, and look so dignified.

Yet they have uttered the most vile bigoted close-minded comments I have ever heard in my life.

Thanks, but I'll take the brash New Yorker any day of the week in this instance.....

but I know enough not to make generalizations about all New Yorkers or all Georgians from these examples.... or to make the leap that boisterous means horrible..... that would make me as ignorant as those that do.

It's virtually impossible to even begin assessing what class of passengers you'll find out of a given port.

For instance, I am sailing B2B on the Caribbean Princess out of Brooklyn in just a few days. If you click on the first rollcall in my signature, you'll see that out of all those cruise critics listed for the 10/2/2010 cruise, there are none at all from NY. There is one couple from NJ and another from CT. That's pretty much it for people within driving distance of the cruise terminal.

The following week shows several more New Yorkers, but they're still not making up any sort of majority. Fact is, most people are coming from someplace else.

Now granted, this is an unscientific sampling, and all I'm looking at is the small segment of people who bothered to post in Cruise Critic. But my point is, for as long as we have airports, these ships will fill with people from all over the country and even with some from outside the US.

If you believe everything you read on CC, or anywhere else, you are sunk. We sailed the Miracle out of NY in May and I didn't see it any differently than cruising out of the FL ports, except maybe the accents. You can get obnoxious low class people sailing from any port. Fortunately I haven't witnessed much of it on any cruise!

Elcuchio, we are talking about a cruise here, not a football game. :rolleyes: Regardless of what you say, I have certainly not witnessed game behavior on a ship. If I did, I would stop cruising:rolleyes:

If you believe everything you read on CC, or anywhere else, you are sunk. We sailed the Miracle out of NY in May and I didn't see it any differently than cruising out of the FL ports, except maybe the accents. You can get obnoxious low class people sailing from any port. Fortunately I haven't witnessed much of it on any cruise!

Elcuchio, we are talking about a cruise here, not a football game. :rolleyes: Regardless of what you say, I have certainly not witnessed game behavior on a ship. If I did, I would stop cruising:rolleyes:

Of course. Just taking a shot at Jets fan's when the opportunity presents itself. Happy cruising.

It's called a joke.

Perhaps you should take your own advice in regards to taking things with a grain of salt. It makes finding the subtle humor a little easier.

It's called a joke.

Perhaps you should take your own advice in regards to taking things with a grain of salt. It makes finding the subtle humor a little easier.

Well unless I knew him personally to be a jokester, how would I know if he was smiling or not when he was typing his little "joke". For all we knew he was serious and doesn't like New Yorkers. Maybe he could add a :p next time so we know!

Well unless I knew him personally to be a jokester, how would I know if he was smiling or not when he was typing his little "joke". For all we knew he was serious and doesn't like New Yorkers. Maybe he could add a :p next time so we know!

Oww, giving me the parentheses eh? Well yes, Jokey Mcgee’s the name, just so as you know. And of course, cruisers out of NY, even if they are from NY, would never look anything like the stands at a Jets game. Jets fan's would not have $ for a cruise, what with the expense of Keystone Light and bail.

I love cruising out of NY, only done it once and not with CCL, but it was great. Can't wait for someone other than NCL to get a ship in Boston, hint hint.

We've sailed out of California, New York, Fort Lauderdale, and Galveston. While there are some minor cultural differences depending on where you sail from, I certainly wouldn't call one group lower class than the rest.

The Californian cruises were more casual, to be sure, but people were generally friendly.

The Florida cruise was a broad cross-section of society - it seemed like a lot of people travelled from all over to cruise there, as there wasn't a huge contingent of locals on the sailing.

The folks from New York were entertaining - NY/Brooklyn accents, a Tony Soprano look/act alike, little old lady from Jersey who repeatedly bragged about her son the dentist - they were an interesting group. They seemed more accustomed to city life, they were less patient at the elevators and unfazed by crowds. Like I said earlier, a bit of a cultural difference.

The most friendly people were the folks sailing from Galveston, though there was plenty of tacky big hair and gaudy makeup they were a fun crowd.

Personally, I like seeing and meeting different people. If you can just sit back and appreciate everyone for what they are without making judgments as to their level of class then you will have a fun cruise no matter where you sail from. Any rudeness that I've encountered I just brushed off as a difference in where they come from vs. where I'm from.

Oww, giving me the parentheses eh? Well yes, Jokey Mcgee’s the name, just so as you know. And of course, cruisers out of NY, even if they are from NY, would never look anything like the stands at a Jets game. Jets fan's would not have $ for a cruise, what with the expense of Keystone Light and bail.

I love cruising out of NY, only done it once and not with CCL, but it was great. Can't wait for someone other than NCL to get a ship in Boston, hint hint.

Oh. Man. You are killing me. Jets fans are coughing up 30k in psl's and 750/ticket. guess they are starving.

RCI sails out of Jersey.

Archived