Keelung to Taipai by train

markuuk

If you take the train into Taipei, how are you going to travel around once you get there? The major sights are not very close together. You can rent a taxi for the day at the port for something like US$100-$125, and the driver will take you directly to the sights you want to see.

another option is to look for an excursion called something like 'taipei on your own'. when i did this on a costa cruise, the bus dropped off at taipei 101 and we had several hours free time. then it picked up back at the same place.

on tip about taipei - the cab drivers i encountered did not speak emglish. one actually got out of the cab and found someone who did, and translated where i wanted to go. to get back it taipei 101, i showed the cabbie the brochure from taipei 101 and pointed.

so, taking some pictures along so you can point to where you want to go may be a big help.

It looks to us like some of the interesting sights are within walking distance of the main train station, and then we can take the subway to Taipei 101. We enjoy walking in a city that is new to us, and our ship is in port for 13 hours so we have lots of time, even if we get lost or confused. We plan to see the National Taiwan Museum, Chang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall, National Theater, Presidential Office Building, 228 Peace Memorial Park, and whatever else we stumble across as we walk.

It looks to us like some of the interesting sights are within walking distance of the main train station, and then we can take the subway to Taipei 101. We enjoy walking in a city that is new to us, and our ship is in port for 13 hours so we have lots of time, even if we get lost or confused. We plan to see the National Taiwan Museum, Chang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall, National Theater, Presidential Office Building, 228 Peace Memorial Park, and whatever else we stumble across as we walk.

There aer subway stations nearby Taipei 101, Chang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall, National Theater, Presidential Office Building, and 228 Peace Memorial Park. For the National Palace Museum, you take subway to Shilin Station and then take bus R30 (Red 30). You can find the detials here. http://www.npm.gov.tw/en/visiting/transportation/transportation.htm#mrt

I would suggest that you skip 228 Peace Memorial Park because there is nothing special. The National Palace Museum is awesome and you will need a lot of time to see it. Chang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall and National Theater are next to each other. Have fun!!

There are many trains run between Taipei and Keelung. Because of the high housing price in Taipei, a lot of people reside in Keelung and commute to Taipei daily. The trains can be crowded in rush hour. If you see one crowded, you better hop on it because the next one is not going to be less crowded in rush hour. There are different types of trains. Fast trains stop at fewer stations so you get to Taipei quicker but the price is a little higher. Commuter trains stop at every station so it takes longer (about 45 min) and the price is cheaper. Actually the train prices are cheap if you convert it into US dollar.

There are 4 train stations in City of Taipei. Two of them, Nangang station and Taipei station, are connected to MRT (subway). Many major sightseeing places are reachable by MRT. Personally, I recommend Longshan Temple and Danshui. If you like hot spring, there are many hot spring hotels, resorts, and bath places nearby Beitou station. One hour soaking in the hot spring is plenty.

Let me know if you need more info. Have a great trip!

• 2 weeks later...
How easy is it to get to Taipei by train from keelung

Are there regular trains and what station do they go into in Taipei

I can't really find any info for time tables

Many thanks

Mark

See Tour Taiwan map in an earlier post, ToursByLocals Easy Taipei, gather a small group and you're ready to enjoy the sights of Taipei with a local.

We took the train from Keelung to Taipei today, and it was relatively easy to do. It was a short walk to the train station from our ship. It took a little sign language, but we were able to purchase round trip tickets for 156 Taiwanese dollars for two people. So under $6 US for two people round trip.

We had a little trouble figuring out when to turn in our tickets, but it worked out okay. We found an information desk in the Taipei Main train station that directed us to the right platform. Returning from Taipei to Keelung, you need to be sure that you get on a train that says "Keelung"

We were on the local train (not the express) and it took about 45 minutes each way.

Hope this helps.

FYI, the port terminal in Keelung has free wifi.

Archived