Does a Carnival employee monitor slide....

Christine in MO

I've never hung the proverbial carrot to my DD's face.

Any amusement park, cruise, etc., that had height requirements were just checked out prior. She was not made aware of what she couldn't go on.

Yes, but if the older child is going down the slide and the parent is not against it, why not let the child be advised that she may not be allowed but go check it out anyway? It's not like I would say, well that's a stupid rule, let's go fight with the staff. As others have said, sometimes there is no one monitoring and then it would be up to the parent.

I don't know about your kids Mr.Pete, but mine knew from an early age what that "line" beside the entrance meant and they knew that they would be tall enough. I had the opposite fight on my hands. I think it should be up to the parents to decide what's right within reason.

Yes, but if the older child is going down the slide and the parent is not against it, why not let the child be advised that she may not be allowed but go check it out anyway? It's not like I would say, well that's a stupid rule, let's go fight with the staff. As others have said, sometimes there is no one monitoring and then it would be up to the parent.

I don't know about your kids Mr.Pete, but mine knew from an early age what that "line" beside the entrance meant and they knew that they would be tall enough. I had the opposite fight on my hands. I think it should be up to the parents to decide what's right within reason.

First off, I've NEVER seen an open slide ANYWHERE without someone manning the entrance.

And one day, I must share with my daughter how I put tissues in my shoes just to get on the Dragon Coaster.

First off, I've NEVER seen an open slide ANYWHERE without someone manning the entrance.

And one day, I must share with my daughter how I put tissues in my shoes just to get on the Dragon Coaster.

I have never bothered with the slide on the ship, so I can't comment on the staff issue

As for the tissues.....LOL, I am a vertically challenged wimp, and would try to convince my friends that I wasn't tall enough to go on the scary rides :rolleyes:

Just ignore the a$$hats telling you how to parent your children. It's really none of their business and you certainly shouldn't answer to them.

To answer your question, there was someone at the entrance of the slide the day my sister and I went on it but not at the bottom. The slide didn't empty into a pool so maybe that's why? If you're daughter is only slightly under the height limit, the person might not notice. They'll let you know if she can go or not (and I hope she can!!)

My parents tried to sneak me onto a rollercoaster that I wasn't tall enough for at Magic Moutain (in CA) but I was turned away. So they told me to stand down there and wait for them while they rode it. LMAO!! I got bored and told the guy who denied me (jerk) that I was going to the merry-go-round right across from the roller coaster. Parents were mad when they found me but I told them how mad I was they went on the ride without me and we settled on a truce. I was 8. It was a very different world back then!

if your kid is really cool and responsible at 15 will you figure she can drive a car even if state rules 16 with a learner's permit??

Heck yeah. My daughters started driving at 11 and my son at 8. :D

img9709b.jpg

Unfortunately nobody was around with a camera to catch the first time my daughter lifted the front driver's tire almost 4 feet off the ground while rock crawling in Oklahoma, but she still fondly remembers it. :D

Back on topic.... are there lifeguards at the pools? Even while "watching" kids at the pool, it seems like most parents are reading books or chatting anyway, and not paying 100% attention to the pools... I'm just as guilty; my kids are good swimmers and I just look up periodically and do a head count.

Good for you as that was the point of my post.

I normally read posts until the "Dr. Laura's" of the world save the day. Then I'm outta there. The holier than thou can normally go somewhere I can't define here ;).

But I like Dr. Laura.:D

We will be on the Elation in November and after booking I realized that my daughter is still a couple of inches too short to go down the slide. She is 5 years old and able to swim so I was wondering if there is a Carnival employee at the top of the slide monitoring and enforcing the height restrictions? DS is 9 years old and well within the height restrictions to go down the slide and if DD is unable to go down the slide and DB is able to go down I foresee a very real problem for me for 5 days on the Elation!!!!! Tnaks for any help on this issue.....oh, also are the pools still salt water? TIA

I have been a member of this board for several years but it still amazes me how inconsiderate & rude people can be on this board over simple question. I'm not saying the rules don't apply to my children I was just curious because she is able to swim so I don't really understand the height restriction. I am her parent and as I have said before I would never allow my child to do something that I think is in anyway dangerous to her. Thanks to everyone who gave helpful answers but to those that choose to tell me how to raise my children thanks but no thanks. Going to put on my flame retardant suit now.....

SO you had NO intention of violating the rule you just wanted to know if anyone was looking. Uh huh, ok. You had no intention of just letting her if there was no employee looking. I don't buy that. Really.

It is a safety restriction just like every other height/age restriction.

SO you had NO intention of violating the rule you just wanted to know if anyone was looking. Uh huh, ok. You had no intention of just letting her if there was no employee looking. I don't buy that. Really.

Seriously, what do you care if she'll do it or not? Are you going to find her, rat her out to the Carnival deck police or something? Is it going to go on her personal record like her kindergarten attendence?

Seriously, folks. Y'all are starting to get a bit crazy. Rules are rules, but unless you're paid to enforce them or the kid is in obvious danger, mind your own business.

Do you have children? I am guessing not based on your attitude. Is there anything wrong with wanting my child to have fun on HER vacation? Nope, I didn't think so. And which is precisley the reason why we have paid for her take swimming lessons since she was 2 years old so she can have fun and do the same things that the other members of her family are doing. And might I add (again) that I will be following the rules of the ship when we are there I was just making an inquiry as to why there is such a rule when an individual is able to swim.

And do you mean to tell me that you have never bent the rules even just a little bit to your advantage? Do you drive? If so, have you ever drove just 2-3 miles per hour over the speed limit? Yeah, thats what I thought. ETA: OOOpps, nevermind I just found the answer myself over on your Liberty April 24 - May1 Review.....sneaking on rum runners with rum & mocha kaluha & sneaking a plastic bottle of vodka through security and leading them to believe that it was your bottle of lotion. And YOU have the nerve to jude & ridicule me becasue I want my 5 year old to go down the slide.....PU-LEASE go get a real life & stay outta mine!!!!!

And yes, as a matter fact I just might let her drive when she is 15 (cool or not) since in the state of Missouri (where I live) they can get their learners permit at 15 1/2. It might be getting a little warm in here just let me adjust the thermostat in this flame retardant suit......ahhhh, much better.

waaaa waaa waaaa...

rumrunners have nothing to do with kid's safety on the slides

what if another kid her size tries it and gets hurt?

waaaa waaa waaaa...

The only kid that I am required to worry about is MY OWN. And everyone else can worry about what their own children are doing. But I just find it funny that you are attempting to call me out on "breaking the rules" when you did it yourself.

If there is no one monitoring the slide then she will be going down it. If there is someone monitoring the slide she will attempt to go down it. And if denied so be it. If it is such an "important" rule as you all say then someone certainly will be monitoring the slide to ensure that the height limit is in fact enforced. We shall see......

Heck yeah. My daughters started driving at 11 and my son at 8. :D

img9709b.jpg

Unfortunately nobody was around with a camera to catch the first time my daughter lifted the front driver's tire almost 4 feet off the ground while rock crawling in Oklahoma, but she still fondly remembers it. :D

Back on topic.... are there lifeguards at the pools? Even while "watching" kids at the pool, it seems like most parents are reading books or chatting anyway, and not paying 100% attention to the pools... I'm just as guilty; my kids are good swimmers and I just look up periodically and do a head count.

OMG, I am loving that picture!!!! And no I do not believe there are lifeguards in the pools. But my mom & I are active with the children and will actually be in the pool with them playing. Now dad & grandpa are a whole nother story.....they will probably be holding the down the chairs that we reserved at 7 am with a flip-flop LOL ~ Seriously, that was a joke!!! But dad & grandpa won't be in the pool but probably sipping on a cool refreshing beverage on the side lines.

waaaa waaa waaaa...

You think a drunk parent can't be harmful to a kid or let them do something stupid on a waterslide? I do.

What if? So what? Why is Christine suddenly responsible for every minor on the ship?

Christine, I'm sorry no one warned you about bringing up parenting judgment calls on this board and how it inevitably leads to someone being labeled negligent. The Great Parent-Off is an all-to familiar occurrence around here.

If there is no one monitoring the slide then she will be going down it. If there is someone monitoring the slide she will attempt to go down it. And if denied so be it. If it is such an "important" rule as you all say then someone certainly will be monitoring the slide to ensure that the height limit is in fact enforced. We shall see......

Oh my! This just confirmed how much concern you have for the safety of your child. Good grief! I gave you the benefit of the doubt up till now.

I have seen an open slide on Carnival and I took a little kid down the slide with me...... he had a blast.

While I understand the rules are for safety but as a parent I wouldn't allow my child to do something I felt was unsafe (and would hope no parent would).

Yet I've seen kids playing on the roofs of their house in a lightning storm :rolleyes: so some parents really don't supervise their kids. Maybe you don't fit that bill but lots of parents don't have kids out of family bonding.....they were accidents and parents aren't taking responsibility for the little devils.

Oh my! This just confirmed how much concern you have for the safety of your child. Good grief! I gave you the benefit of the doubt up till now.

I *know* what my own child is capable of and not capable of. I do not believe that Carnival or some member of a random cruise message board knows what is best for MY child. With that said I actually have more concerns about my older child (who is within the height restrictions) going down the slide then I do about my younger child going down the slide.

Yet I've seen kids playing on the roofs of their house in a lightning storm :rolleyes: so some parents really don't supervise their kids. Maybe you don't fit that bill but lots of parents don't have kids out of family bonding.....they were accidents and parents aren't taking responsibility for the little devils.

Yes, unfortunatly it does happen.

I *know* what my own child is capable of and not capable of. I do not believe that Carnival or some member of a random cruise message board knows what is best for MY child. With that said I actually have more concerns about my older child (who is within the height restrictions) going down the slide then I do about my younger child going down the slide.

My concern for your child is not the water. It's the height, where, if short enough, can spin, hit their head, exit the chute backwards, head on, all while you know your child.

A head injury in the middle of no where. Yes, you know your child.

We will be on the Elation in November and after booking I realized that my daughter is still a couple of inches too short to go down the slide. She is 5 years old and able to swim so I was wondering if there is a Carnival employee at the top of the slide monitoring and enforcing the height restrictions? DS is 9 years old and well within the height restrictions to go down the slide and if DD is unable to go down the slide and DB is able to go down I foresee a very real problem for me for 5 days on the Elation!!!!! Tnaks for any help on this issue.....oh, also are the pools still salt water? TIA

I have to say I'm shocked after reading through your posts...

Do you only fasten her seatbelt if police are nearby...

Your daughter will have a wonderful trip even if she is not tall enough to go down the slide.

My concern for your child is not the water. It's the height, where, if short enough, can spin, hit their head, exit the chute backwards, head on, all while you know your child.

A head injury in the middle of no where. Yes, you know your child.

Now how come you did not put it in those words 4 pages ago and we could have ended this conversation way back then. I was not thinking about her inside the slide only when she shoots out the end of the slide. But what you say does make sense but then I still do not understand the different height restrictions on various carnival ships.

Really? Do you also know how to calculate the velocity of your child going down the slide? And whether not it's safe? No? Do you know how does? The slide's manufacturer. They set the guidelines and CCL enforced them. It's not about what your precious is ans isn't capable of, it"s about what the slide is capable of doing to your kid.

I was with you for a while, but clearly you've missed the point of the restrictions.

And just remember, when the slide is unattended, the gate to it is locked. Apparently with good reason.

Now how come you did not put it in those words 4 pages ago and we could have ended this conversation way back then. I was not thinking about her inside the slide only when she shoots out the end of the slide. But what you say does make sense but then I still do not understand the different height restrictions on various carnival ships.

I did. Go back and read. Right there on post 17. Are you only reading your post?

Archived