Female infant listed as male?

mikesteg

Our infant daughter is shown as a male on the reservation. I am curious if other people have run into this. We've cruised twice with the babies and this is 2 for 2. (We did not see this problem when taking our 5YO niece on a cruise a couple years ago.)

Last time Carnival said this was a known issue and that Homeland Security was aware of the problem... but then the problem was fixed within a day or so. Carnival also claimed that infants are categorized as "infants" and not by gender when the data is sent to Homeland Security, which I find highly dubious. I reported this instance to my TA last week and she said she'd look into it, but no word yet.

Thanks,

Mike

I'm wondering if it's because you have a female AND a male twin? (Congratulations. BTW! Very cute!). If your male twin was listed first, maybe the cruise line automatically listed the female twin as a male, since they have the same birth date? Who knows?? Hopefully, it will all be straightened out by the time of your cruise. I (kind of) ran into this problem when our youngest son was born, and the first time he was wheeled into my hospital room, there was a cute little pink card stating "I'M A GIRL" taped onto his bassinette, with his correct male name and other statistics written on it. We got a big laugh out of it, and even though this pink card was quickly replaced with the more appropriate blue "I'M A BOY" card, I kept them both and put them in his scrapbook. We still tease him about this, and he's 27 years old! Good luck to you, and I'm sure everything will be straightened out. Happy cruising!

I'm wondering if it's because you have a female AND a male twin? (Congratulations. BTW! Very cute!). If your male twin was listed first, maybe the cruise line automatically listed the female twin as a male, since they have the same birth date? Who knows?? Hopefully, it will all be straightened out by the time of your cruise. I (kind of) ran into this problem when our youngest son was born, and the first time he was wheeled into my hospital room, there was a cute little pink card stating "I'M A GIRL" taped onto his bassinette, with his correct male name and other statistics written on it. We got a big laugh out of it, and even though this pink card was quickly replaced with the more appropriate blue "I'M A BOY" card, I kept them both and put them in his scrapbook. We still tease him about this, and he's 27 years old! Good luck to you, and I'm sure everything will be straightened out. Happy cruising!

Thanks, we like them too! :D

A twin problem had occurred to me also, but I tend to rule that out because (this time) they have their own past guest numbers. We have had issues along those lines, most notably with the insurance company: their system decided his birth was a duplicate submission. Then they assigned all claims to DD based on birthdate and denied the "duplicate" claims. The hospital basically refused to resend the claims once the problem was fixed and repeatedly tried to bill us for 10 days in NICU. It eventually got cleared up, but it really stressed DW out.

I'm sure this issue will get cleared up, but it's good to know that it's legitimately a known problem for a larger segment of the cruise population than just those of us with B/G twinfants. :D

Us, too. We must've said "our daughter" a zillion time to the Carnival agent over the phone, and she is currently listed as "Master." Sigh. I am going to try to call to change it in case there is a problem. We leave Sunday!

I have heard that they send the data over 72 hours early, so you might want to call ASAP. Good Luck and Bon Voyage!

There have been threads about this in the past, so you aren't the first person with this problem.

Here's one of them:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=732627&highlight=infant+girl+listed+male

Thanks! Sorry, I should have caught that.

I agree with Imsulin -- beautiful kids!!!!!

But yes, this is a Carnival issue and not a TA or a booking agent issue. I have done it myself. I put a booking in for a FEMALE child under 2 - went back a couple of months later and Carnival had changed her to be a MSTR. :rolleyes:

I was annoyed, called Carnival, they said it was the way they listed kids under 2 -- even females. The young female child didn't have a problem boarding.

This happened to us in May - our 11 month old daughter was listed as male. We asked our TA and she called Carnival, and we were told to address it at check-in.

We did, and it was NOT a problem. They resolved it in seconds.

Our daughter has an unusual name, and I had imagined that that caused the issue as someone at Carnival had to make a guess and guessed wrong. In any case, it's easy to fix.

I agree with Imsulin -- beautiful kids!!!!!

Thank you!

Just a Carnival issue. I don't understand it. But I don't understand much about their booking site. It doesn't like me. :p

I don't think their booking site/website likes anybody. What a clunker! :rolleyes:

This happened to us in May - our 11 month old daughter was listed as male. We asked our TA and she called Carnival, and we were told to address it at check-in.

We did, and it was NOT a problem. They resolved it in seconds.

Our daughter has an unusual name, and I had imagined that that caused the issue as someone at Carnival had to make a guess and guessed wrong. In any case, it's easy to fix.

People have commented that our DD's name could be male as well, but based on other postings it appears this is a system problem. Carnival just doesn't process it correctly.

Anyway, I'm content to know that it's a known problem so if it is a problem I can raise :mad: at check in until they call somebody from corporate who can confirm it is not an issue.

I just started filling out my family's online booking info on RCCL. I have twin girls who have previously sailed and have Crown & Anchor #'s. One twin, had 9's for her #, had a 1954 bdate and was listed as a male. I updated her info - but got a kick out of reading your post ;) The other twin had her membership # and her info correct.

• 5 months later...

Just to update this: we've taken them on 2 cruises on CCL and had no problems with this. We booked another just after they turn 2 (Camp!), and they were still both listed as male. I was calling to fix another problem and the agent said that above age 2 they should be listed an "child", at which point CCL computer system acknowledges that human children do in fact have a gender, so that needed to be fixed (by the TA, of course!)

We are now having problems with the past guest number also. One or the other has apparently disappeared from the system. Very nice people in CCL's call center, and they are trying to fix this, but I get a different story with each call. Based on google, this is apparently another known problem with CCL systems.

If their ships were equivalent to their IT systems, we see one sinking every few months... :(

Archived