From hostmach on Conquest

cullensmom

We may be weird, but we love sea days and don't mind 16-18 foot seas. We would have gone on that cruise in a New York minute and taken the 20% future discount.

I am the same way - wish I were onboard! One of my favorite cruises it poured rain most of the cruise, was freezing cold, and 18-20 foot seas for 3 days. I loved it. :D

Live from the Conquest....

a friend and I infiltrated a meeting of who i have dubbed "The Mad People"....one lady actually was CONVINCED that Carnival was blocking her text messages....another lady has a friend trying to contact CNN about this "outrage"....you should have seen these people....i can understand frustration, but standing around and screaming is not my idea of having control of ones self....:rolleyes:

i sure hope we stop in Cozumel tomorrow....i'm ready for some dry land!

I have had a wonderful cruise in SPITE of missing 2 ports...i'm with the Crazies....how could that be a bad time?

I hope this posts....the internet is very spotty....

Can't wait to get back and read all this thread!:D

Hi Sheri!!!!! Can't wait to hear about ya'lls voyage when ya get back.

Have fun at Nachi tomorrow!!!!:D

Why do you say it is "far more than you are entitled to"??? Odd comment when, yes, the contract covers Carnival's butt for any mishap whatsoever....but most folks cruise to see the world and it is oh so disappointing to miss the ports. It is almost inhuman not to have compassion or understanding for those who are sorely disappointed in such an unfortunate situation. Maybe you don't care, but many folks choose their cruise based on destination/itinerary and will never be able to return. Before you flame me, I completely understand that NO cruise line can control Mother Nature, but to be such a cheerleader so as to say you are not "entitled" to what the cruise lines deems as some sort of compensation does not appear to sound sincere. Are you a Carnival employee????

bolding mine

They chose late September. In doing so they opted for a lower price with the risk that those ports might be missed. They gambled and 'lost'. If making those ports was soooo important they should have planned it for sometime other than hurricane season. Carnival owes them nothing.

It is almost inhuman not to have compassion or understanding for those who are sorely disappointed in such an unfortunate situation. Maybe you don't care, but many folks choose their cruise based on destination/itinerary and will never be able to return.

I don't think there is any lack of compassion. Everyone on this board cruises and would be disappointed by missing a port. It has happened to me, so I know what it feels like. I don't try to say people should not feel disappointed.

The point is that people who have looked forward to and planned for a port, and may never get to go back, those folks are not going to feel any better if they get a $25 credit or a $9.78 credit, or no credit at all. They will feel just the same in any case.

It does not mean a whole lot to most cruisers to get a small refund, but multiply that refund by $2,000 passengers and you have some serious money. Plus there won't be any revenue from excursions. People may spend on the ship but probably not as much, so Carnival takes a hit along with passengers.

I think it is fair to refund the port charges because it is clearly money that Carnival saved, but I don't think it makes sense to pay more. That money has to come from somewhere and ultimately if they spend 50 grand on refunds they are going to have to bump up fares or drink prices or something to cover it. Stuff is expensive enough already.

The 20% may be important to first time cruisers. We got 25% for a bad weather loss of a day on an RCCL cruise in 2009 (We actually lost a day in a port and left 12 hours late out of Baltimore) and we just completed our discounted cruise and to be honest we would not have went back on RCCL if it wasn't for the discount and we had a very nice cruise this time so we will cruise them again. To be honest I understand the weather but the general attitude of staff and other cruisers on the 2009 cruise did not make for an enjoyable cruise. It is a positive way of Carnival to handle it to be honest and up front with the passengers as to what they will recieve. On RCCL there were no direct answers or even the same answers. So, Good for you Carnival! Customer Service is very important! and No, you can't please all the people ALL the time!

TOPRainWindsorParkLEAD.jpg

"There will be no ships in dock today as Cayman and the surrounding waters continue to feel the effects of Tropical Storm Nicola.

Royal Caribbean’s 4,400-capacity Liberty of the Seas and the Carnival Conquest, which holds 3,000 passengers, had to bypass Grand Cayman due to the weather."

http://www.compasscayman.com/caycompass/2010/09/30/No-ships-today,-flights-back-to-normal/

Hey that looks like fun in Grand Cayman!!!!

Live from the Conquest....

a friend and I infiltrated a meeting of who i have dubbed "The Mad People"....one lady actually was CONVINCED that Carnival was blocking her text messages....another lady has a friend trying to contact CNN about this "outrage"....you should have seen these people....i can understand frustration, but standing around and screaming is not my idea of having control of ones self....:rolleyes:

i sure hope we stop in Cozumel tomorrow....i'm ready for some dry land!

I have had a wonderful cruise in SPITE of missing 2 ports...i'm with the Crazies....how could that be a bad time?

I hope this posts....the internet is very spotty....

Can't wait to get back and read all this thread!:D

Why do these "Mad People" want to go to a port that's obviously distressed? That makes no sense.

It is almost inhuman not to have compassion or understanding for those who are sorely disappointed in such an unfortunate situation.
You can't fix stupid. If one cruise in hurricane season, one should adjust one's expectations to account for the high possibility that one may be rerouted.

. Are you a Carnival employee????

It sounds to me, like that poster is just a cruiser who understands that there is no guarantee that they'll get to any specific port on the best of days via cruise ship and the risks of missing ports in the height of hurricane season are far higher and they gracefully accept the consequences of their decision to cruise to these places.

If the destination is that important to them, they would get their butts on a plane and FLY there.

I'd like to ask you, why do people who understand the risks get labeled cheerleaders or Cruise Line Employees?? :confused:

OK... the protest didn't materialize... just a bunch of folks being incited by two twits who wanted refunds for the cruise because we missed two ports.

One of them approached me and said 'Have you been to customer service?' I asked 'For what?' 'For missing two ports' from him. I told him I was getting what I paid for and that no ports are guaranteed. He looked at me scornfully and asked 'Who are you with?' I told him I was with my girlfriend. More scorn when he asked 'Are you with the cruise line?' I said 'Nope... have you read the contract you signed?' I guess not as he turned on his heal and stomped off looking for other ill informed folks to incite.

Carnival did deliver a letter to my cabin moments ago stating that we would received a $12.46 refund for Grand Cayman and a discount for 20% off a future cruise... far more than we were entitled to.

:)

- Mach

I'll take your 20% discount then because I truly believe that those of us Destiny last January did deserve such compensation;) We missed ports due to a chronically broken ship ... not weather (way easier to deal with in my mind).

I'll take your 20% discount then because I truly believe that those of us Destiny last January did deserve such compensation;) We missed ports due to a chronically broken ship ... not weather (way easier to deal with in my mind).

Unless you had a shorter cruise, or the ship lost electrical power, or something the actually interefered with the services on the ship, then no, I don't think any compensation is due.

I don't agree that missing ports due to maintenance is any different than missing them due to weather.

I pick cruises for the ports, and would be disappointed if any were missed, but I am rational enough to know that a cruise NEVER promises to take you to a port... only out to sea and back.

As long as you get the cruise, you have got your money's worth even if you never see a port you expected to go to. That's just part of the deal you make when you book a cruise. Too bad many folks don't get that.

We have cruised in the fall months for the great prices and expect that weather may affect our cruise. It's a bargain for a reason folks--rough seas and bad weather= hurricane season. I am just amazed by folks who whine and complain yet choose to cruise during hurricane season.

Unless you had a shorter cruise, or the ship lost electrical power, or something the actually interefered with the services on the ship, then no, I don't think any compensation is due.

I don't agree that missing ports due to maintenance is any different than missing them due to weather.

I pick cruises for the ports, and would be disappointed if any were missed, but I am rational enough to know that a cruise NEVER promises to take you to a port... only out to sea and back.

As long as you get the cruise, you have got your money's worth even if you never see a port you expected to go to. That's just part of the deal you make when you book a cruise. Too bad many folks don't get that.

So if it's the same thing why weren't the Destiny cruises offered at a reduced rate like the cruises during hurricane season are?

I agree with you on that point. If Carnival's ships are not running up to speed, it is the fault of the cruiseline for not being able to get you to your port. Airlines compensate travelers when the flights are cancelled due to mechnical problems, however; they do not compensate weather or air traffic control delays - which is beyond their control.

Oh believe me, I get it. I just don't get why this cruise is getting a 20% discount and we didn't get one. Just annoyed more than anything, I guess. If CCL is going to hand these things out, it should be across the board or not at all when things go wrong (due to mechanical or weather related reasons). Stand by the policy!

I will still stand by my statement to accept that discount from Mach though. Someone better use it:)

Missing ports due to maintenance issues is unacceptable. We are paying for a ship that works properly. I don't think the ship would be happy if I didn't pay my full bill due to an inproperly working CC. Now I do understand, as with any working machine, things can and will happen. But they do need to make things right in that case.

As far as the weather goes, no fault of anyone. One year, we missed our Jamaica stop due to high winds. Nothing you can do about it, it isn't like Carnival had brought them in. :)

Why do you say it is "far more than you are entitled to"??? Odd comment when, yes, the contract covers Carnival's butt for any mishap whatsoever....but most folks cruise to see the world and it is oh so disappointing to miss the ports. It is almost inhuman not to have compassion or understanding for those who are sorely disappointed in such an unfortunate situation. Maybe you don't care, but many folks choose their cruise based on destination/itinerary and will never be able to return. Before you flame me, I completely understand that NO cruise line can control Mother Nature, but to be such a cheerleader so as to say you are not "entitled" to what the cruise lines deems as some sort of compensation does not appear to sound sincere. Are you a Carnival employee????

I agree with the poster.. Carnival should not HAVE to give ANY compensation. They state they can NOT guarantee ports and due to circumstances can omit or change ports. Mother Nature can be a *itch. and as even you have pointed out, carnival can't control it. This is only my 2nd cruise coming up. so you can't say i'm a "cheerleader" i'll go with the itenery and price. i chose this cruise as i wanted to go to western caribbean and the fact that there are 4 ports so that IF weather isn't co-operating that hopefully we'll get a 50/50 chance. and 4 of our friends are going on their first cruise and are aware of this. Will i be upset we miss a port YES, but would i expect Carnival to comp me my cruise? NO. come on! I've read the FAQ pages unlike alot of people who expect compensation for nothing. and this trying to incite riots or what ever you want to call it when i've read the crap that cruisers try to do.. again, we're back to people wanting wanting because they think they Deserve it. it's stupid!

The 20% may be important to first time cruisers. We got 25% for a bad weather loss of a day on an RCCL cruise in 2009 (We actually lost a day in a port and left 12 hours late out of Baltimore) and we just completed our discounted cruise and to be honest we would not have went back on RCCL if it wasn't for the discount and we had a very nice cruise this time so we will cruise them again. To be honest I understand the weather but the general attitude of staff and other cruisers on the 2009 cruise did not make for an enjoyable cruise. It is a positive way of Carnival to handle it to be honest and up front with the passengers as to what they will recieve. On RCCL there were no direct answers or even the same answers. So, Good for you Carnival! Customer Service is very important! and No, you can't please all the people ALL the time!

and here is my thought on your post, if you would not have cruised on rcl without a future discount. what about the next cruise line or the next? what if some wierd chance weather bumped each cruise. then i guess you'd never cruise ever again? you'd run through all the cruiselines. I'm not trying to be argumentive, but just wondering. It's the same with people with Hotels. if they didn't get their room free for something so trivial, then they state.. I will NEVER stay at ANY blah blah hotel again when they complain to the head office of that chain. because they are still hoping that by going to the head of the chain they will get something for it. it's just dumb.

Archived