Dress code for 9 year old in main dining room?

mamabear5

I am cruising on the NCL Star in late April with my 9 yr. old son. I would like to take him to dinner in the main dining room a couple of nights. Would khaki shorts and a collared shirt be ok or would he need to wear long khakis? Do kids ever go to formal night and if so, would he need a suit or would a shirt and tie be ok?

At 9 years old he still could get away with nice shorts and polo/buttoned shirt in dining room. Yes, kids go to formal nights all the time. Of my two sons, the younger one wore a suit and the other, older teen, wore a tux (he's in orchestra and ballroom and loves to dress up). When I looked around at other tables most boys wore suits.

Have a great cruise.

Shorts would be at that age in the dining room. We always bring our kids to formal nights and my son (11 by next cruise) will be wearing a suit. We bought it a bit big last year so it should still fit.

If you dont have one, a pair of khakis, oxford shirt, and tie will do OK. Dont go and buy a suit just for a cruise.

We just returned from a cruise last week. My 9 year old wore a suit - without too much complaint! Khakis and a nice shirt and tie at that age would be fine. Something you may want to consider are the photos, You in a formal gown, husband in a suit or tux and son in shorts may look odd.

Have a great cruise!

Archived