noob question about belize beaches

koolaid71

pardon the potential for massive ignorance on this, but i'm curious as to what sort of beach access there is in belize city.

i've gathered that you tender into the main tourist village from the boat. from there, how difficult is it to just get to a beach?

i'll be traveling w/ my 15 year old daughter, my 52 year old mother in law, and my 23 week pregnant spouse. we're not looking for much beyond a beach on which to drop a towel, and maybe do some simple snorkeling (we'll be bringing masks, etc).

we're doing the western caribbean cruise on NCL (costa maya, roatan, belize, and cozumel). we're pretty much gearing up for 4 days of beaches. is belize going to work w/ this plan, or should we plan on just staying on the boat in belize?

thanks!

You can't get to a beach from the mainland in Belize. Either you take a ship excursion and leave directly from the ship or you tender to shore and take another boat to a beach...:)

Mona

well not exactly true, as there are mainland beaches in southern Belize, but you can't get to them and back on an 8-10 hour cruise stopover.

And evidently Cucumber Beach (the local Belize City "beach") often isn't open during weekdays.

So take a ship excursion as Mona suggests. Bannister Island, Caye Caulker, Goff's Caye best bets for beaches. But for your spouse, tendering may be an issue. So you might want to look at making Belize a ship day or doing something else. Be advised that any Mayan ruins excursion or city tour etc. entail long bus rides.

quick and tender dont often mate well lol. Tendering is typically a pain in the butt process especially someone who needs a wheelchair or is prego.

As mentioned before...most anything to do in Belize will require a long bus ride so I would also suggest considering a ship day in Belize for the 2 in your group who arent as mobile.

are there any relatively quick tenders that are doable? say, in the 10-15 minute range?

Tender speed is dictated by maritime regs in Belize City harbor, conditions of the seas and size of the tender. Tender time from ship to pier is dictated by distance of ship mooring from pier and time it takes to load and unload cruisers.

Archived