Questions about the Independence of the Seas

Hi, I'm a newbie to CC & an now an addict :D We're going on the IOTS for the first time next month. and although I've been reading the boards for 2 days I still have a few questions I can't find the answers to, so hoping someone will help.

1. Unloading luggage at Southampton. Do we tip?

2. I read in a thread here that iced tea and lemonade is free. Is this in machines only in the WJ or available throughout the ship? Can I ask for lemonade with my meal in the main dining room rather than water?

3. Looks like breakfast and lunch in the MDR might be quieter but can we ask to sit alone? I just can't be that sociable early in the morning :cool:

Many thanks in advance for any advice given. Can't wait to get aboard :)

1... Yes, only if a porter helps you. Otherwise, just take your bags off the carousel and go.

2....Not sure, I know you can get iced tea in the MDR if you ask.

3...Yes you can, we always have! Might mean you have to wait a few minutes, but it's always doable.

We did the last transatlantic on the Indy.... it was wonderful..... you'll love it.... she's an awesome ship!!

Compared to the American Ports Southampton is an absolute dream. When you get dropped off (or you arrive to unload your car) you are not bombarded by threatening touts demanding money to get your luggage on board to the point where people "gave a good tip to make sure the bags got on board".

We wheeled our cases approximately 15 feet to a chap who loaded them into a train of cages for us without expecting any money. Security was thorough and prompt with enough staff and scanning machines to ensure we weren't queuing an hour or more as per Port Liberty in New York with 2-3 machines per 4,000 odd guests!!

Reclamation of luggage is simply a case (pardon the pun), of collecting them from a well staffed warehouse area where I have a feeling there are free trolleys available.

The iced tea, lemonade, water, tea and coffee are available in the Jammer as well as the outlets on the promenade, Be aware that the lemonade isn't the fizzy stuff but a still lemon flavoured drink. You are asked not to replenish water containers from these stations so as to avoid contamination between guests. Take a cup and fill from there at your table.

With breakfast in the MD you will be greeted by someone who can assign you seating as required. Most people choose to sit in groups but your individual wished will be catered for. A La Carte options as well as a walk up buffet.

After many cruises with Royal Caribbean our Christmas & New Year 2009/2010 on Explorer was very nearly our last. An extended family cruise on Independence in July was probably the best we have ever had for a number of reasons including entertainment, staff, food, facilities and so on. If you have half the enjoyment we did you'll have an absolute ball.

Good luck and keep smiling.

Henry :)

1... Yes, only if a porter helps you. Otherwise, just take your bags off the carousel and go.

2....Not sure, I know you can get iced tea in the MDR if you ask.

3...Yes you can, we always have! Might mean you have to wait a few minutes, but it's always doable.

We did the last transatlantic on the Indy.... it was wonderful..... you'll love it.... she's an awesome ship!!

That's correct answer!

Thanks for all the helpful replies :)

With previous cruises (Thomsons) the only free non alcoholic drink available in the dining room was water.

Can I just confirm that I can order certain non alcoholic drinks (iced tea and lemonade) in the main dining room and not be charged for this?

I just read in another thread that apple juice was available in the main dining room too but I find it hard to believe you wouldn't have to pay for this :confused: If this is the case then I sure am impressed :D

Thanks again

Can I just confirm that I can order certain non alcoholic drinks (iced tea and lemonade) in the main dining room and not be charged for this?

I just read in another thread that apple juice was available in the main dining room too but I find it hard to believe you wouldn't have to pay for this :confused: If this is the case then I sure am impressed :D

Thanks again

As far as I know, apple juice is only available in the MDR at breakfast time.

At other times, you can get iced water and iced tea for free... you have to pay for everything else.

Archived