Port Canaveral Help Please?

jayk59101

Hello all we are going out from PC on fos 9jan11 have never been to florida and would appreciate some help. Are there any shuttle services such as super shuttle or the likes operating from MCO to the pc pier area? And beings I have over splurged on the cruise I am looking for a decent economy hotel near the dock or something relatively close with a shuttle. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Jay

Hello all we are going out from PC on fos 9jan11 have never been to florida and would appreciate some help. Are there any shuttle services such as super shuttle or the likes operating from MCO to the pc pier area? And beings I have over splurged on the cruise I am looking for a decent economy hotel near the dock or something relatively close with a shuttle. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Jay

There are any number of shuttle/limo services that transport betweeen MCO & the port, for 2 people, many say your cheapest option is to rent a car.

If you go to The New I work in Port Canaveral thread, go to post #295 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1119114 if you don't find what you are looking for there, ask your questions in that thread and you're sure to get some answers.

If you have more than 2 people, doing a one way car rental will be the most economical. In our experience when we have had only 2 people, it's pretty close to even between renting a car or hopping on the cruise line's shuttle. I like the convenience of being on my own schedule and able to make a stop or 2 along the way for supplies though.

Try Priceline or Hotwire for hotel deals. We've gotten better deals in Orlando though due to the over abundance of hotels. We usually arrive in MCO, stay the night and drive to the port in the morning. If you do opt to rent a car, there are a couple of small tolls on the way, so bring some change.

And beings I have over splurged on the cruise I am looking for a decent economy hotel near the dock or something relatively close with a shuttle.

I live in Cape Canaveral (as well as cruising out of there for the coming holidays!), and would recommend a one-way car rental in your case. Sounds like you like your flexilibity, and the cost is the same or less than that a shuttle. This gives you more options.

The huge "catch all" Canaveral thread mentioned by the other poster frequently has coupon information for car rental discounts...if you sift the through the pages and pages of messages.

There are three hotels near the port that are well documented and discussed in excruciating detail elsewhere. I won't repeat that here, but pricing is moderate and similar at all of them; figure $75 - $100. The port is within view of these places, and they are on four lane main road with typical fast food and strip mall storefronts.

You may find a range of motels and hotels five or ten minutes down the main drag (A1A) towards Cocoa Beach, too. There are restaurants and bars down there. Both Port Canaveral itself (3-5 minutes) and Cocoa Beach (5-10 minutes) have fun spots to eat or party. There is a pier with bar and restaurant, some cheap seafood places.

Saturday night, January 8th there will be live music and/or DJs at the Port (4 places), and in Cocoa Beach (10 or more places).

The hotels have shuttles, but if you are renting a car anyway, the car companies do the same thing ;-) Just keep your car until the morning of departure, and take Hertz / Budget whatever shuttle ;-) They are all strung out over about a mile and a half stretch. That way you keep your wheels and can have dinner wherever you'd like in Port Canaveral or Cocoa Beach.

Here is the lay of the land:

port_canaveral_area.jpg

scale.jpg

Hope this helps. We get BACK from our B2B on Dream the day you would be driving to the Port. Have a great trip.

Regards,

Johncn

Archived