Christmas on Disney... what to look forward to?

pixiedustdawn

We cruised the week before Christmas, arrived back at PC on the 24th.

Ok here is what we had on the ship.

The atrium is decorated wonderfully and a few other spots around the ship.

1st night is a tree lighting ceremony. They changed it 3 or 4 years ago and now it didnt seem as Christmas themed as it use to be. Not sure if they stayed with it or not but it is worth going reguardless. You never saw the old ceremony so you wont miss the changes.

One tip is to watch from the atrium level, NOT one of the upper decks where you can look over. As the tree is lit up there is a surprize (wotn spoil it for you) that is best enjoyed from the atrium level.

Mrs. Clause will read stories in the atrium to the kids and parents.

Characters in holday clothes make great photos.

They also have a gingerbread decorating event. This is extremely popular so sign up at guest services as soon as you board the ship if they will let you. It fills up everytime, but if enough still try to sign up they will add another time for them to do it too. You must eat it on board or give ot a CM because its illegal to remove from the ship.

They usually have some Christmas shows in the movie theater too.

I know they have a special Chrsitmas dinner. I believe Christmas morning Santa goofy has a gift for every child on board too in the atrium.

It will be in your navigator for time and place for events.

On CC the tram is dressed as Rudolph.

They have the dock all decorated and at certain times there are carolers singing as you walk by to go onto the island.

We saw Santa Goofy riding a jet ski around the water areas too.

There may be other events right on Christmas, as i said we got off the ship on the 24th. But seeing the ship decorated is really awesome!!!

I almost forgot. Florida can be nice or cool tha ttiem of the year. I lived there for 9 years and its just a toss of the coin but I would tend to say 70 for there and CC was beautiful that time. It is always windy which will make it feel a bit cooler.

Everyone was swimming and snorkeling when we went.

Hope that helps some,

Kathy

• 1 month later...
I just wanted to hear from the folks that have sailed Disney at Christmas time, what we have to look forward to.

Any special meals, activities etc.

Also, how is the weather in Port Canaveral and Castaway Cay usually.

Thanks... can't wait!

Dawn

We sailed as a family on the Wonder 2 years ago at Christmas. They have a special Christmas menu for that day only with the most incredible special food. I had the best lobster I have ever tasted....among other things. We also had a gingerbread house decorating event onboard, and they were giving out Christmas cookies in the lobby and many other special events. Our weather was a little cool...but not cold. I brought a wetsuit for snorkeling, but I really hate cold water. The pools are heated anyway and there's alway the whirpool. We were in Nassau on Christmas Day and most everything was shut, but there was a snorkeling trip that went out and we booked a private "birding" trip with a woman who lives there. You'll have a fantastic time.

• 2 weeks later...

For the Holiday Cruise when do you think is the best time to board the ship? We are staying at the Hyatt Rengency at MCO/ORL and I do not remember when the transfers leave for the port. Is it better to go early and hopefully beat the crowd or to wait a while?

When you arrive at the terminal, you receive a number and you will board in groups based on that number. I know that concierge guests and Castaway Club members get a low number and get to board in the first couple of groups; I think the rest of the numbers are distributed based on when you get to the terminal (but I'm not sure). Typically they begin boarding around noon and immediately direct you to a restaurant (terrible thing, having to start eating right away!!!). You can't get to your cabin until at least 1:30 or 2 pm, so definitley have swimsuits, sunscreen in a day bag. They say that luggage should be delivered to rooms by 5 or 6 pm.

Hope this helps you make the best decision for your trip.

For the Holiday Cruise when do you think is the best time to board the ship? We are staying at the Hyatt Rengency at MCO/ORL and I do not remember when the transfers leave for the port. Is it better to go early and hopefully beat the crowd or to wait a while?

When you arrive at the terminal, you receive a number and you will board in groups based on that number. I know that concierge guests and Castaway Club members get a low number and get to board in the first couple of groups; I think the rest of the numbers are distributed based on when you get to the terminal (but I'm not sure). Typically they begin boarding around noon and immediately direct you to a restaurant (terrible thing, having to start eating right away!!!). You can't get to your cabin until at least 1:30 or 2 pm, so definitley have swimsuits, sunscreen in a day bag. They say that luggage should be delivered to rooms by 5 or 6 pm.

Hope this helps you make the best decision for your trip.

We have the same itinerary as you. We are also staying at the Hyatt.

The buses leave quite early if I remember correctly. Say about 8 ish. I like to catch a later bus as I want to sleep a bit later. I will probably catch the 10 or 11 bus over to the port.

Hope you got a good rate at the Hyatt

Dawn!

Archived