Silly complaints

DJ Eddy

Just thought of another one from our first cruise. We sailed in September 2006 and Cozumel had been hit hard a year or so earlier by a hurricane (can't remember which one.) The cruise piers were actually destroyed and most ships that were calling at that point were having to tender.

We were on the tender from the Miracle to shore and the lady in front of us complained the whole ride to us about how she'd NEVER sail Carnival again - the Royal Caribbean NEVER made anyone stand in a line for ANYTHING and when ROYAL visited Cozumel THEY got to use a dock. She said this right as we were in front of the pile of rubble where the pier used to be. DH just busted out laughing and said "Do you see a pier here? A hurricane took it out not too long ago." The lady humphed to herself and then turned to someone else and started going on about how Carnival treats all it's passengers like children and ROYAL would NEVER do that. I guess when she realized she wasn't going to get any sympathy from us she thought she'd try to find another victim.

It has become a running joke with us on various cruises now, though - someone will out of the blue start complaining to me about Carnival and how much they love Royal and how bad Carnival is. Not sure why, but they follow me. :p:eek:

It's not a complaint but a funny story that still makes me chuckle. I was on the Sensation a few years back and the friend I went with was very anal about unpacking all of her stuff as soon as she got in the room. Since it was only a 4 night cruise, I didn't feel compelled to unpack at all so I went out to explore the ship instead. When I got back, she commented on the shoe rack in the corner of the room and had neatly placed all of her shoed upon it. Turns out that the shoe rack was the ladder for her bunk! I was sure to take a picture of her shoes neatly stacked before I broke the news to her and still laugh at her years later!!!

It's not a complaint but a funny story that still makes me chuckle. I was on the Sensation a few years back and the friend I went with was very anal about unpacking all of her stuff as soon as she got in the room. Since it was only a 4 night cruise, I didn't feel compelled to unpack at all so I went out to explore the ship instead. When I got back, she commented on the shoe rack in the corner of the room and had neatly placed all of her shoed upon it. Turns out that the shoe rack was the ladder for her bunk! I was sure to take a picture of her shoes neatly stacked before I broke the news to her and still laugh at her years later!!!

Thanks for the laugh!!

OK I need some cheering up... after spending 3 months on a ship sailing around the Med in the sunshine, I am now back home in England with grey skies & rain (typical English weather)... so therefore I need cheering up.

So I thought we could do a thread about people's silly complaints (apologies if it's been done before but I did search quickly but to no avail).

I'm talking, just plain daft things you have encountered your fellow guests say, and it makes you think are they serious..? This is just for comedy factor and I am not wanting to make fun of any person's valid complaint...

This is an awesome thread.

My wife and I were on the Carnival Paradise a few years ago...I love to have a few drinks (perpetuating a maritime stereotype here I know) so I have this thing I do where if I spot a keen drink server I will order a couple, and if they are prompt I will tip them 10 or 15 bucks cash. I usually make a "buddy" and get great service from him/her the rest of the cruise. I always throw a few more tips out, and rarely do I have to ask for more ice, or a fresh drink (they usually watch me like a hawk). I think it's awesome as I never have to get off my lounger!

So I'm relaxing one day, sipping some beer from my beer bucket, and my "guy" keeps popping by, asking me if all is good "mister chad", do I need more ice etc etc... This guy on the lounger next to me leans over and says "...geez these people are ridiculous...always interrupting me to ask if I want a drink...so annoying...it's so cheesey how they try to make a buck. I'll never be back on Carnival...they should leave us alone instead of trying to serve us all day..."

I said - "...are you kidding?? I've given this guy 35$ so far to be my "guy"...he follows me deck to deck. These people don't make much money, so I give him some, and I never have to go searching for a drink...it's win/win...you know you are on vacation, correct?.."

Let's just say we agreed to disagree, and I suggested he might want to move to a quieter lounge deck, which he did.

Some people are just idiots. This guy would have had the opposite complaint if no one had come by as often.

Sorry, I tried to remember a funny one and ended up instead having a minor rant.

Cheers.

Inver

Some of us are worried about mom in the nursing home and hold Power of Attorney for medical and financial decisions. In spite of that, we still like to cruise when we can. Some people don't have a choice whether to leave work behind. They are restricted to taking a cell or not taking a vacation. I do like to restrict my phone to the occasional text message to say that "all is well and we are in Barcelona/Rome/Florence, etc" but will probably be able to do more on Facebook this next year by buying internet time. Still..........I never assume that someone has his/her cell because they feel self important.

Thank you. I bring my computer on cruises so I can download pictures and save them to my portable back up drive each day. I bring my phone because it's got my calendar and notebook in it and that's where I put quickly accessible information about my excursions or other things I want to do on the cruise.

I pay for a minimal internet package because I'm my Mom's baby girl (youngest daughter) and despite turning 50 this year, my Mom really REALLY worries when I go on cruises, so I send off a quick email each morning with my coffee just to let her know what we did the day the before and that I'm still alive and well. If $50 and a few minutes each morning on my part will make my Mom feel better while I'm gone, it's worth the price.

Glendalecruiser, and others, if I offended you with my advice, my most humble apologies to you. I do realize there are times when a call home, or an e-mail to the kids, or an update on Facebook, is necessary. That said, I stick by my advice. Life is too short. I've been through two careers, both of which have required very thick skin while at the same time, requiring me to be sensitive and caring when required. I have the ability to do all the above. So, apologies to you and yours.

I was standing in line at the pursers desk when a "gentleman" came up to the Platinum line. The crew were all helping others and he started yelling that they needed to stop and come help him because he was platinum. I told him to shut up and quit being rude.

I'd have been tempted to say "You wanna be BLACK and BLUE?"

The first day on the Triumph in April, DH went to order a drink from the Lido bar, they swiped his card and advised him he was 8 years old. They did a hand written ticket for the drink and advised him Guest Services can fix the problem.

When we went to check DD in at Camp, they asked about our other "child" we advised we did not have another child.

I, when completing the fun pass on line, gave DH and DD the same birth date. The next morning, we fixed the problem. Guest Services had a good laugh as they aged my DH.

I did ask if he could make me 21 again. :D

i love this link and the stories , ive had everyone i know laffin for days as i repeat them, i work retail and not just normal retail, i have for years said that there is some kind of suction thingie in my doorway that when people enter my store it sucks their common sense out of their brains.

just a side note , silly weird odd and otherwise what we would think of as dumb***es, come in all size and shapes and colors, you might find more comedy for you tube if you listen to yourself :)

Agreed ;) I'm the king of dumb***es... we smell our own :D

Archived