Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach 2011???

Ruggled

So, I finally figured out why there were no rooms available and why the Maya is going for $300 a night.

We sail on the Splendor on Sunday April 17th..appears the Toyota Grand Prix is going on that weekend. Anyone experience this? I know its a street course around the convention area.

We come in on Saturday. Will I have issues getting to my hotel at the Maya or is this one time when it might be smarter to stay in San Pedro Saturday night?

Any advice from locals or people who have been?

It depends on your schedule and interests. Your hotel will be accessible but traffic will be bad before and after the race. Also streets will be barricaded a few days before and the day after, so driving around will be an issue. OTOH places like the Aquarium ought to be less crowded since locals will avoid the area that weekend. And, if you're into racing then it's great!

If you want things more relaxing, uncrowded, and inexpensive then SP is a good option. Plenty to do there as well.

You won't have trouble getting to the hotel. But it will be a round about way of getting to the hotel through the port area. Hopefully, your cab/shuttle driver will be well aware of the detour to the Queen Mary area. It's part of your adventure. Saturday includes the Pro-Celebrity race, slick-track racing and practice. There's entertainment in the evening,too. Depending on when you arrive, you will hear it. VROOM VROOM

OBTW...The Aquarium is closed during Grand Prix week-end.

Thanks for the responses. Since the Maya is already at the port area (and through most of the traffic) I suppose Sunday won't be a huge issue...

Outside of the $300/night room, I am thinking maybe it will be cool. DH has a Porsche now, and had a Corvette before that. I know the LeMans race is Saturday...maybe a possibility then.

I bet public transportation is a bear though? We'll fly in from LAX and take a cab to the hotel, so no rental car.

A cab may be very pricey if it gets stuck in congestion due to the race but you should be able to continue straight down the Long Beach freeway into the port/queen mary area avoiding the grand prix area. But--you might want to consider SuperShuttle or PrimeTime Shuttle or another service that would charge by the trip rather than miles and time.

I don't know if the free shuttle system (Passport will be running) as I would think it would normally drive on the street(s) that are closed for the GP. This may limit your dining to the hotel Maya, Reef Restaurant, or Queen Mary.

I live about 4 miles from the GP and I hear them--so you definitely should. Your husband should enjoy all the road racing fans and ambiance. Here's a link to the circuit map for 2010 but I don't think it changes much year to year and hasn't since it moved off of Ocean Blvd. The Hotel Maya is across the water from the lower right hand corner of the map.

http://www.gplb.com/downloads/2010TGPLBCircuitMap.pdf

BTW--Hotel Maya is becoming a Hilton property in November (according to the Hilton website), so if you are a Hilton member, you should be able to get points for your stay.

Hi there,

So very sorry but I just re-read your original request. The race is at 1pm and will not be over until after 3pm. Sorry it's karma get on the ship. Do not buy tickets you'll get to hear it but I don't think you'll be able to see it. It's a great race!

Sorry, but enjoy your cruise.

Winnie

Thanks everyone! I am a Hilton member so that will be cool that I at least get points for a $300 a night room! :

Thanks for all the suggestions too...our flight doesn't land until 2:30 so I guess we'll miss most of the race. :( Oh well--still should be a great time!

Archived