do you read what you post

m steve

I have no doubt that for some whose proficiency in the written word is finely tuned,glaring spelling and gramatical errors can be ,for want of a better word, grating.

However, I was taught from a very early age that everyone has something to say. If you look very carefully among misspelled words and misplaced commas , these "pearls" are easily found.

We might all do well to remember something about casting first stones and living in glass houses.

In a forum such as this does it really ,really ,matter.

I hope that whatever contribution I have made to this forum has been judged by the spirit in which it was posted and not by it's literary acumen.

Regards Colleen :)

Excellent post!!

Regardless of anything I've said about pet peeves, I have to edit virtually every post I make, and I'm dead certain there are posts of mine on here that are far from perfect. (said to all, not just to Colley)

As an analogy, I am not a dog person, but I don't think less of dog owners. Do I notice those things? Yes. Do they bug me (or amuse me) sometimes? Yes. Do I think less of the poster, publicly correct them or make snide remarks about them? Never.

And the being bugged is more because it makes me itch to go in and fix it, and I can't! I think others may feel the same way if they go to a friend's house and see a piece of clutter, or crumbs on the countertop, etc.

FYI - there's a particular bit of the brain that is directly involved in error detection. It's called the Anterior Cingulate Cortex, and it's connected to the limbic system, which is responsible for a lot of our emotions. Some people are much more strongly wired in this area than others, which is why some of us notice every jot and tiddle, while others either don't notice, don't care, or both.

Funny,,,,,correcting others when there is not capital or any question mark!

Is there an echo in here? ;)

Please read the thread before posting. Posts 3, 36 , 60 and 65 address this and the OP has admitted the errors.

So - truth be told - were you itching to change the "it's" to "its"???

*laughing and blushing* YES!!!

The spirits of Herb Caen and the Apostrophe Posse were rattling chains and moaning about Apostrophes Past. :D

Edit - wait, which "it's"? There are several strewn about in assorted posts.

I have no doubt that for some whose proficiency in the written word is finely tuned,glaring spelling and gramatical errors can be ,for want of a better word, grating.

However, I was taught from a very early age that everyone has something to say. If you look very carefully among misspelled words and misplaced commas , these "pearls" are easily found.

We might all do well to remember something about casting first stones and living in glass houses.

In a forum such as this does it really ,really ,matter.

I hope that whatever contribution I have made to this forum has been judged by the spirit in which it was posted and not by it's literary acumen.

Regards Colleen :)

I agree. Typically, people don't make mistakes on purpose. To what end do people correct them? To make the poster feel smaller, less educated, to make themselves feel smarter? Who knows?

I ignore spelling/grammatical issues in posts. This is for fun. No one is applying for a job here. I am far more concerned with the poster's TONE, which can be helpful, or just plain mean-spirited...

I have learned tons from people on this board, and the posters I've learned from might not be the smartest, or "best Mariner", they just came up with a good idea, or experience to share. It's hurtful to see people jump on them...

The spirits of Herb Caen and the Apostrophe Posse were rattling chains and moaning about Apostrophes Past. :D

COLLEYBERRY in post 67 is the one meant but no biggie! :D

as long as the posts are not written in the stupid texting language (like b4 u go sav me sum), Like the FAQ says, it's not worth the energy (unless people are just being lazy like the texting language example)

I abbreviate my words: a. because it saves space but more importantly b. because it saves me time - I have severe arthritis and typing is painful..LAZY - I don't think so!! :/

There are others who do like it so to solve your problem - simply don't read those posts..

Bit hypocritial also IMO anyway, read your moniker again - 'MyWifeLUVSCruising'....

I accept your apology :)

It's really not that extremely important that a contraction always has its apostrophe, is it?

Fridayeyes was using "it's" as a contraction of "it is" so he was quite correct.

Um ... I wasn't talking about Fridayeyes' post ...

He already self-edits. :rolleyes:

But thanks for the lesson.

I do know what is "quite correct."

I believe you got it -- at first!

My comment was intended to be very subtle and apparently it was!!!

You mentioned an urge to "go in and fix it" when you read posts with various errors.

Obviously I am not talking about YOUR post! ;)

After eight years of teaching English [my first career] and 24 years in the newspaper business [wow, I am old!], I know the proper usage of it's and its.

But I don't live in a glass house, so I'm not pitching rocks -- at anyone.

This topic/thread comes up periodically, often begun by someone expressing distaste for "dinning" room or cabin "stewart." Eventually it degenerates to the grammar snobs vs. the rest of us.

I prefer to be tolerant, to follow the CC guidelines [which make valid points] and to enjoy posts regardless of their literary merit.

Mine ain't winning no Pulitzer Prizes. :rolleyes:

[Editor's note: The previous statement is fodder for the Grammar Police.]

I believe you got it -- at first!

My comment was intended to be very subtle and apparently it was!!!

You mentioned an urge to "go in and fix it" when you read posts with various errors.

Obviously I am not talking about YOUR post! ;)

After eight years of teaching English [my first career] and 24 years in the newspaper business [wow, I am old!], I know the proper usage of it's and its.

But I don't live in a glass house, so I'm not pitching rocks -- at anyone.

This topic/thread comes up periodically, often begun by someone expressing distaste for "dinning" room or cabin "stewart." Eventually it degenerates to the grammar snobs vs. the rest of us.

I prefer to be tolerant, to follow the CC guidelines [which make valid points] and to enjoy posts regardless of their literary merit.

Mine ain't winning no Pulitzer Prizes. :rolleyes:

[Editor's note: The previous statement is fodder for the Grammar Police.]

Hear, hear!

I've spent many years in educational publishing, hence the knee-jerk response to fixing typos and the like. Being dyslexic as well keeps me very, very humble. There, but for the grace of God, go I.

Cheers,

Friday (who, just for the record, is a she)

Hear, hear!

I've spent many years in educational publishing, hence the knee-jerk response to fixing typos and the like. Being dyslexic as well keeps me very, very humble. There, but for the grace of God, go I.

I've never really spoken with a dyslexic -- do you really see things backwards , or is it more of a general disordering?

Makes me think of the old story about the insomniac agnostic dyslexic --

he stayed awake all night wondering if there is a dog.

Sorry.

I was just relishing a little irony.

Please post away, apostrophes or not!

I had a boss who used to use apostrophes to form plurals. You can imagine how the editors cringed when they got his memos.

"There will be a meeting of all editor's at 3 p.m. to discuss plan's to cover the first day of school in our local community's."

Someone took a red pen to one of his memos that was posted on a bulletin board. He later called me into his office -- and no, it was not I who edited him :eek: -- and asked me for a grammar lesson! Apparently a two-minute overview on the formation of plurals did not sink in, and he was back to his old habits before long.

Dyslexia manifests in different ways. In my case, it affects my ability with numbers far more than it does text. I also cannot tell left from right. If you are giving me directions, it sounds about like this to me:

"Go purple at the next stop sign, then chicken at the light." I know that my wedding ring is on my left hand, so I look for it when I need to tell which is left. :D

In a string of numbers, I am very likely to transpose digits. When I visually compare my string to the correct string, I will often be unable to see a difference until someone literally points it out. Cruise booking numbers are the bane of my existence. ;) This kind of phone number drives me batty: 962-2752. The 2s won't stay in the right place, and I'll get the 5 and the 7 wrong when the 2s move. This kind of phone number I like: 688-8878.

Because my general ability level is high, I compensate quite well. Others with more severe cases, or who have a harder time with text than I do, suffer mightily for it.

Interestingly enough, the left/right thing is genetic in my family. It affects my mother, her brother and all of my sibs to varying degrees.

. . . I also cannot tell left from right. If you are giving me directions, it sounds about like this to me:

"Go purple at the next stop sign, then chicken at the light." I know that my wedding ring is on my left hand, so I look for it when I need to tell which is left.

Hmmmm.....I wonder if I have a form of dyslexia because I, too, have a serious problem with left / right directions. I don't hear them in colors or any other form, I just can't relate to which way to go until I really concentrate on the direction being given. I'm the last person you want as a backseat driver! :D

Hmmmm.....I wonder if I have a form of dyslexia because I, too, have a serious problem with left / right directions. I don't hear them in colors or any other form, I just can't relate to which way to go until I really concentrate on the direction being given. I'm the last person you want as a backseat driver! :D

Which way is the wake Diane ? :D

LOL...on our beloved aft, stern, backside part of the ship. :p

Never, never, never ask me to point you toward port or starboard. :D

Port is left if you are facing the bow. They both have 4 letters (PORT and LEFT). Of course, since I can't tell left from right to begin with, this does me little good. :D

Here's another trick - hold up both hands with your thumb and fore-finger extended like you are making a picture frame. The fingers on the left hand form an L for LEFT (which I have been known to check if I'm not wearing my ring).

Now, keeping your forefinger pointing up curl the thumb and the other three finger to make a circle. You now have a lower-case b and d, respectively. For dyslexic kids who know left and right, they can memorize which hand makes b and which hand makes d. I never had problems with b and d myself, but I like the picture frame trick. I also have a callus on my right index finger from holding a pen/pencil. I surreptitiously feel for it all the time when I want to tell right from left.

Re: right and left - I can figure it out if given enough time. A second or three. More if it's complicated, such as I'm facing the stern, and you want to know which is port. But I don't have that rock solid, instantaneous knowledge of it like the rest of the world does. It take a force of will and deductive thinking every single time.

Makes me think of the old story about the insomniac agnostic dyslexic --

he stayed awake all night wondering if there is a dog.

:DLOL, that has made my day!! Very funny.

I get irritated by incorrect spelling if it is repeated. On another discussion board there is a person who repeatedly writes discusting instead of disgusting and quite instead of quiet. I am VERY tempted to tell them that there is no such word as discusting but don't want to embarrass them and really, does it matter? I know what she means and understand the message - that's all that really matters.

Um ... I wasn't talking about Fridayeyes' post ...

He already self-edits. :rolleyes:

But thanks for the lesson.

I do know what is "quite correct."

That will teach me to study all their posts to see which one they're quoting. There is quite a lot of confusion on this thread. No offense intended and none taken, in spite of the sarcastic icon. :)

Archived