What to do for a relaxing day?

susieh

Barbados is our first stop and as we're both in need of some 'chill time' after a very stressful few months at work and home we haven't booked a tour.

We don't want to do a tour or organised activity but we do want to do 'something'.

What is there to do within walking distance of the ship or within an easy to do bus ride?

We enjoy wandering around the shops and seeing what's different, we enjoy walkng along the shore, we quite fancy a chance to swim in the sea - we just want to do it at our own pace.

Can anyone help with some information please?

I have to share the most relaxing day we had on our cruise was a catamaran tour with Silvermoon. I know you said you wanted a relaxing day, and I assure you it was wonderful. They make you drinks, feed you an excellent lunch, you have 3 opportunities to swim, and see the coastline of Barbados. Shasa, Calabaza and Silvermoon all get great tour reviews & limit the crowds to between 12-24 people.

From what I have read here, a great beach to visit would be Rockley/Accra Beach and/or Holetown. I have no first hand knowledge though, so I apologize I can't give you any tips for either. There is a neat boardwalk at Rockley/Accra Beach and I believe you can take the bus there... I will do a search real quick & see if I can't find it for you & post it.

Safe Travels to you...

Here is a link about the shuttle/bus system-be sure and read post #11 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1224586...Good Luck!

Here is another link that has pics & info about the buses to Accra Post #19 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1194784

I have to share the most relaxing day we had on our cruise was a catamaran tour with Silvermoon. I know you said you wanted a relaxing day, and I assure you it was wonderful. They make you drinks, feed you an excellent lunch, you have 3 opportunities to swim, and see the coastline of Barbados. Shasa, Calabaza and Silvermoon all get great tour reviews & limit the crowds to between 12-24 people.

From what I have read here, a great beach to visit would be Rockley/Accra Beach and/or Holetown. I have no first hand knowledge though, so I apologize I can't give you any tips for either. There is a neat boardwalk at Rockley/Accra Beach and I believe you can take the bus there... I will do a search real quick & see if I can't find it for you & post it.

Safe Travels to you...

Here is a link about the shuttle/bus system-be sure and read post #11 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1224586...Good Luck!

Here is another link that has pics & info about the buses to Accra Post #19 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1194784

Wagges, After the tour when they dropped you off did you have time to pick up a few t-shirts or is everything to far away? Thanks

When we were in Barbados a few weeks ago, we took a taxi ($3.00 per person) to Lobster Alive and enjoyed a few hours on the beach just relaxing. We got there just after 9:00 and the beach was very quiet. The umbrella and lounge chairs are $5.00 each to rent but you get a ticket for a free drink from Lobster Alive. The water was beautiful and we stayed there until about noon, then we decided to walk into town, grab a bite to eat and do some shopping before catching a taxi back to the ship. We loved Barbados and I can't wait to go back there:) Enjoy your day, whatever you decide.

Wagges, After the tour when they dropped you off did you have time to pick up a few t-shirts or is everything to far away? Thanks

The port area has shops (aka Diamonds International, along with about 15 or so other shops) that sold t-shirts and lots of other stuff too, but we did not see the"town" so to speak. It is literally a 5 minute ride from where the port shops were to where we left the marina on the catamaran. We may have had time to go, but we just went back to the ship. Safe travels! :)

Waggesaz, I appreciate all the info, I have been trying to decide which company to contact as they all get good reviews. What made you decide on Silvermoon out of the three? I have been trying to look for pictures to see if maybe they offer a larger Catamaran so it is less crowded? I know they all limit to 12 or 24, I just want to make sure if we want to get out of the sun we can. We will have a mix of ages in our group so do you think all of the companies are good with that? Thanks again for all the help.

OP: I apologize this thread has been hijacked! :o I honestly think that if an organized tour is not your thing, any beach on Barbados would be beatiful and relaxing. Aplmac has posted so many beautiful pics, I can't imagine you could pick a bad one! hancogran's day sounds great!

amistad: We very much enjoyed our day with Silvermoon, however, it was only my DH & I. There was shade all day, and we went on the 24 person. The 12 person looked very similar in size to the one we were on. Katrina was very efficient and nice to deal with when we made our reservations.

We are returning in March with our boys, and I have chosen to go with Shasa. Their cat is smaller, however is limited to 12. Because their cat is smaller, they do not go with all the other tour operators who have the larger cats to swim with the turtles, they have another bay with 6-8 turtles. The only concern I have is getting in and out of a smaller cat (I have no upper body strength), as I thought it was very easy to get in and out of the Silvermoon.

The reason I am not going with them upon our return in March is due to the crowds at the Sea Turtle area. We actually decided go back to the cat before the tour operator requested our group to return. We both were kicked in the head, more than once, and people wear wearing fins, even though the tour operators asked them not to. For me, with our sons, I will feel better about not having so many people around to try to keep an eye on them and being able enjoy the experience with them.

I know you said that you were travelling with an age range, and we had a couple kids, and adults ranging in age anywhere between early 30-70's. It seems the same from others I have known who have done this. On our upcoming trip, 9 of the 12 that Shasa allows will be from our roll call. There will be kids who are 8, 11, 12, 15 and parents. I think that the operators give kids a little more attention, (as well as the older folks) assisting them in getting in and out, and with their equipment.

I also know a few people who went with Calabaza, and they also have great things to say about them. Again, I just wanted to be away from the crowds.

I wish you safe travels and the best of luck with your decision! :)

Archived